Moparts

Dying vinyl seats and interior parts?

Posted By: Waveraider

Dying vinyl seats and interior parts? - 05/14/07 12:53 AM

I've been thinking about changing from a green interior to black, but don't want to spend $1000 or more to do it. Has anyone had any success (or horror stories) using vinyl die to die seats, kick panels dash, ect.? My car is also a 'vert, so the interior stands out much more then a hard top. Thanks for your input.
Posted By: chargermick

Re: Dying vinyl seats and interior parts? - 05/14/07 01:18 AM

I had the same green interior in my '69 Charger, and I wanted to dye it black as a temporary change until I could afford new. That was 2 years ago, and it hasn't scratched off or lifted off yet. It looks so good and has held up so well, that I'm thinking it's permanent. I used a spray can dye made by SEM. Hardest part was getting everything really clean. I used a battery scrub brush and simple Green to clean the hell out of it. Then, just prior to spraying the dye, use a 50/50 solution of rubbing alcohol and water on a rag. It opens the pores of the vinyl and lets the dye go in deeper. It was a lot of work, but it came out great and I saved A LOT of money. I think I used 11 cans of dye for the whole interior. Less than $150. Good luck

Re: Dying vinyl seats and interior parts? - 05/14/07 02:00 AM

Thanks Mick. What did you do about carpet?
Posted By: NTOLERANCE

Re: Dying vinyl seats and interior parts? - 05/14/07 02:15 AM

I havent use it YET, but this is supposed to work well for carpet and cloth.

http://www.bondo-online.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=151

Doc.
Posted By: 375inStroke

Re: Dying vinyl seats and interior parts? - 05/14/07 10:33 AM

I did a set of '68 charger seats from green to white, but I used stuff from an auto paint supply store. I think it was SEM. 1 qt. was plenty for front and back. Worked great. Washing with tri-sodium phosphate and water with a Scotch-Brite before painting works well. I tried the can stuff on a red carpet to black on a console for the same car and it sucked. Almost a whole can on just the console carpet pieces and it still looked a little red.
Posted By: dgc333

Re: Dying vinyl seats and interior parts? - 05/14/07 03:54 PM

I usd SEM to color most of my interior from blue to black and even colored a seat from white to black. This material looked very natural and held up great for several years. I am working on 7 years (40k miles) for the door panels, visor and dash pads but I have since put new covers on the seats.

Only one word or caution clean, clean and clean again. I used an amonia based cleaner and the SEM vinyl or platic prep (as appropriate). If you even see a hint of fish eying you have not cleaned enough. Stop wipe the stuff off and clean some more.
Posted By: Charger_440

Re: Dying vinyl seats and interior parts? - 05/14/07 07:27 PM

any pics of the died interiors done w/sim dye?
Posted By: calimoparguy

Re: Dying vinyl seats and interior parts? - 05/14/07 11:49 PM

Ive dyed several cars that i have had and have found out the key to a good job is to make sure item to be dyed is to completely cleaned.I use a strong degreaser like super clean and hot water and a scotch brite to clean and make sure to let dry all the way before dyeing and parts turn out great...

Re: Dying vinyl seats and interior parts? - 05/16/07 01:20 AM

Thanks for all of the replies. Sounds like if prepped right, I should get some good results.
Posted By: stubbs300

Re: Dying vinyl seats and interior parts? - 05/17/07 03:49 PM

Quote:

Thanks for all of the replies. Sounds like if prepped right, I should get some good results.

Half the battle to a good/great paint job is in the prep work!!
Posted By: 69charger383

Re: Dying vinyl seats and interior parts? - 05/17/07 07:46 PM

The SEM works great. Clean with soap & water REAL good, then dry REAL good, then use the SEM vinyl prep/cleaner before painting.

Re: Dying vinyl seats and interior parts? - 12/22/07 06:04 AM

Getting ready to start on this project and just thought I'd bring it back up. Thanks.
Posted By: noisydart

Re: Dying vinyl seats and interior parts? - 12/22/07 04:58 PM

Ditto on the cleaning tips. I did a white to black
dye job once w/o cleaning and it lifted and scratched. Green to black w/ proper cleaning should be great!
Posted By: FPD031

Re: Dying vinyl seats and interior parts? - 12/22/07 06:59 PM

Quote:

I can understand saving the cost of the seating material, but I would sure try to find 100 bones to replace the carpet.

Re: Dying vinyl seats and interior parts? - 12/24/07 08:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I can understand saving the cost of the seating material, but I would sure try to find 100 bones to replace the carpet.

I spent $121.50 on new carpet (plus freight) two years ago and can't return it. That price was even the discounted Moparts group buy through Dante as well. If I can die it for 25 bucks and make it look right, that's about $100 bucks I save. If it won't work, I'll pony up the cash.

Re: Dying vinyl seats and interior parts? - 05/14/08 06:19 PM

OK. I stopped by the paint supply shop today and they had gloss black and satin black available in both spray cans and pints. I think I want to use the spray cans, but should I use gloss or satin? thanks.
Posted By: Gusteve

Re: Dying vinyl seats and interior parts? - 05/14/08 08:46 PM

Quote:

OK. I stopped by the paint supply shop today and they had gloss black and satin black available in both spray cans and pints. I think I want to use the spray cans, but should I use gloss or satin? thanks.

If you are looking at the SEM stuff the general consensus seems to be Landau Black. I just did all that research last week, and did my A-pillars and Kick panels yesterday.

Looks great - but then again its only a day old.

BTW - I ordered my SEM paint through sjdiscountools.com. About $9 a can IIRC. It shipped the next day after placing my order.

Re: Dying vinyl seats and interior parts? - 05/15/08 02:53 AM

Ahh man, I just bought two cans of the Satin Black. And they're an hour south of where I live. maybe I can trade it here locally...
Posted By: Gusteve

Re: Dying vinyl seats and interior parts? - 05/15/08 12:08 PM

Quote:

Ahh man, I just bought two cans of the Satin Black. And they're an hour south of where I live. maybe I can trade it here locally...

As mentioned above - also be sure you get the prep stuff, too. Vinal Prep and Sand Free for the plastic.

BTW - the sjdiscounttools place that I bought from is in Ohio - so if you are in Indy that's one day shipping for UPS ground.
Posted By: 6pkaar

Re: Dying vinyl seats and interior parts? - 05/15/08 01:29 PM

Lots of going from another color to black. How about going from black to white? I'd like to try it instead of getting the new crappy fitting E-body door panels. Does it cover good enough?

Re: Dying vinyl seats and interior parts? - 05/16/08 01:49 AM

Gusteve, I did buy all of the wash and vinyl prep that was recommended. How many coats did it take to completely cover?
Posted By: swapdaddyxx1

Re: Dying vinyl seats and interior parts? - 05/16/08 02:07 AM

I think going from a dark color to a light color(especially white) might be a problem in getting coverage. going from a light color, or even a dark color to another dark color,especially black, would be much easier.

Re: Dying vinyl seats and interior parts? - 07/23/08 01:10 AM

OK. I thought I'd revive this post. I just dyed the front door panels and they turned out ok. I need to tighten up and fix the bottom of the passengers side, but I'm fairly pleased.

Next question. On my rear convertible panels, I've thought about using dye on the lower part thats kind of a satin finish and gloss black paint from a spray gun for the top area. They are two different finishes. Any ideas?

© 2024 Moparts Forums