Moparts

making a package tray cover?

Posted By: Exit1965

making a package tray cover? - 02/20/10 02:23 AM

I don't have a package tray and want to cover up the area so I was thinking of making a cover of some thin wood.

Has anyone done this, and are there any tips for making the cutout match the contours of the package tray area? Its for a 67 Dart.

Thanks.
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: making a package tray cover? - 02/20/10 02:29 AM

My 68 Road Runner had a custom interior which used thin (Laun?) plywood with vinyl covering. The package tray had been wrapped with cloth. I didn't keep the parts so I don't have pictures. I would think using some heavy cardboard that you can trim with scissors would work at making a template.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: making a package tray cover? - 02/20/10 06:47 AM

I recovered my junky old package tray. Coated it with contact cement and layed a piece of vinyl over top. Looks great considering I made it out of leftovers from my seat upholstery job.
Posted By: DART67GT

Re: making a package tray cover? - 02/20/10 10:26 AM

Shag carpet is the way to go!

But seriously, just get some cardboard to make a template if you don't have the old package tray. Then use some whiteboard material or something similar to make the tray. Either paint it or cover with the material of your choice.
Posted By: BDW

Re: making a package tray cover? - 02/20/10 12:52 PM

You can go to Home Depot, they have thin fiber board that is an exact match as far as thickness goes.

You can create a template with cardboard and thick paper stock, once you're happy with the fit, just transfer to the fiber board.

This can be covered, or just paint it.
Posted By: MO_PA

Re: making a package tray cover? - 02/20/10 01:51 PM

When an old one isn't available for a pattern, make a cardboard template, then use a piece of 1/8 inch masonite, paint the rough side a color that matches the true color for your car.

Re: making a package tray cover? - 02/20/10 02:36 PM

Thanks all, I will probably use masonite and make a paper/cardboard template.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: making a package tray cover? - 02/20/10 02:56 PM

Quote:

You can go to Home Depot, they have thin fiber board that is an exact match as far as thickness goes.
You can create a template with thick paper stock, once you're happy with the fit, just transfer to the fiber board.
This can be covered, or just paint it.

Home Depot 1/8" fiberboard brown in color

Re: making a package tray cover? - 02/21/10 07:15 PM

Here's a pic of the final product..not perfect on the corners, but I shoved some black carpet pieces back there and it's hard to notice unless you look.

It's painted with some old flat black BBQ paint I had.

Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: making a package tray cover? - 02/21/10 07:19 PM

Didn't see this in time to help but if anyone else is in need try using a large sheet of aliminum foil to make the template, you can force it into the corners & along the edges to form a perfect pattern...

BTW Your package tray looks great!
© 2024 Moparts Forums