Moparts

Mopar Cast aluminum valve covers

Posted By: Schluck02

Mopar Cast aluminum valve covers - 02/16/10 03:01 AM

I was wondering what to use and how to get the holes for pcv or breathers open on the cast aluminum valve covers. do you just use a punch and hammer or what?
Posted By: dragaddict

Re: Mopar Cast aluminum valve covers - 02/16/10 03:36 AM

You can punch them out but iy is rough and never really seals around the hole. Any machine shop can bore the hole to the correct size cleanly but you will have to pay some labor and maybe setup time.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Mopar Cast aluminum valve covers - 02/16/10 03:38 AM

How about a hole saw bit?
Posted By: Chilort

Re: Mopar Cast aluminum valve covers - 02/16/10 04:11 AM

I used a drill to start the hole and then a die grinder with an aluminum bit to get what I wanted. I'm not at all thrilled. I know folks have to install various breathers and PCVs and I have no idea why these aren't punched out from the factory.
Posted By: closer9

Re: Mopar Cast aluminum valve covers - 02/16/10 04:12 AM

Each has one hole already open, and you can get the grommets to fit these holes for PCV and breather. Seems like I got mine from Summit. That is all I'm using. I just pull the breather to add oil.

EDIT: Here they are at Summit
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-5249642/
Posted By: moparpoolman

Re: Mopar Cast aluminum valve covers - 02/16/10 05:10 AM

Yup, thats what I did. Rubber grommet for pcv valve in one side and instead of the cap they come with get a screw in breather cap,NICE. I know someone that just put the caps they come with on both sides, started the motor and without venting the crankcase the valley pan swelled up like a jiffy pop.
© 2024 Moparts Forums