Moparts

Vaccum Diagram Needed

Posted By: bkilby

Vaccum Diagram Needed - 02/15/10 08:38 AM

Hello everyone! This is my first post but I've been lurking around for a bit. I just bought a restored '73 Challenger with the 340 and am in need of a vacuum diagram to make sure the hoses are connected correctly. The car is having a high rpm issue that we're trying to cure. I figured we'd start with the basics like the vacuum hose routing etc. Anyone have a diagram or know where to find one online?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Vaccum Diagram Needed - 02/15/10 12:24 PM

Here's everything from the 73 catalog, I'd look at the basics first, you may have a manifold installation problem causeing a leak, next EGR valve, carb/carb gasket, PCV system,....then troubleshoot the vac harness, click on the word "attachment" to enlarge

Attached picture 5805363-a1.JPG

Re: Vaccum Diagram Needed - 02/15/10 12:24 PM

a2

Attached picture 5805364-a2.JPG

Re: Vaccum Diagram Needed - 02/15/10 12:25 PM

a3

Attached picture 5805365-a3.JPG

Re: Vaccum Diagram Needed - 02/15/10 12:25 PM

a4

Attached picture 5805366-a4.JPG

Re: Vaccum Diagram Needed - 02/15/10 12:26 PM

a5

Attached picture 5805367-a5.JPG

Re: Vaccum Diagram Needed - 02/15/10 12:26 PM

a6

Attached picture 5805368-a6.JPG

Re: Vaccum Diagram Needed - 02/15/10 12:27 PM

a7

Attached picture 5805369-a7.JPG

Re: Vaccum Diagram Needed - 02/15/10 12:28 PM

a8

Attached picture 5805372-a8.JPG

Re: Vaccum Diagram Needed - 02/15/10 12:28 PM

a9

Attached picture 5805375-a9.JPG
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Vaccum Diagram Needed - 02/15/10 02:03 PM

Quote:

The car is having a high rpm issue that we're trying to cure.

What issue. When did it start. any changes/additions right before it started. If your suspecting a vac leak you could plug the intake vac source & take it out/run it up there & see if the prob dissapears.

Re: Vaccum Diagram Needed - 02/15/10 04:00 PM

Thanks Dayclona! This one answers a second question I had, which was "what's the gizmo in front of the gas tank with 4 hoses going to the gas tank". I appreciate the pics!

Quote:

a9

Re: Vaccum Diagram Needed - 02/15/10 04:17 PM

RapidRobert, I just bought the car a little over a week ago so I can't say when or why it started. Everything on the car is new. That doesn't mean it's connected or installed correctly though, right? The engine is missing and sputtering at higher rpm. We think it's starving for fuel. Even though everything was new, we've replaced the basics just to eliminate them. Spark plugs, cap, rotor, resister, fuel pump, fuel filter and thermostat (was leaking).

The timing has been set, carb adjusted. It's all helped but it's still not running right. Saturday, it decided to start stalling without warning. That's when I put a fuel filter and pump in. I used a see through filter and basically when it stalls, the filter is empty. Crack up the hose and the filter fills up again. So like I said, I want to start with the basics and work from there. With the vacuum diagrams that Dayclona sent, I can make sure it's all connected correctly and go from there. I know I can bypass the stuff but besides the way it runs, I want to have everything connected and functional anyhow.

The car:

Re: Vaccum Diagram Needed - 02/15/10 09:07 PM

Quote:

when it stalls, the filter is empty. Crack up the hose and the filter fills up again.

Might put a can of gas in the eng compartment hooked to the pump inlet & take her out. What are you meaning by "crack up the hose"

Re: Vaccum Diagram Needed - 02/15/10 09:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

when it stalls, the filter is empty. Crack up the hose and the filter fills up again.

Might put a can of gas in the eng compartment hooked to the pump inlet & take her out. What are you meaning by "crack up the hose"

Just a shot in the dark, High RPM issuses aside, the stalling and dry filter sounds like the tank isn't properly vented, or clogged vent wise, or incorrect vented/non vented gas cap, causing suction/vacumm in the tank/line?

Mike

Re: Vaccum Diagram Needed - 02/16/10 05:08 AM

Oops! Typo! I meant to say "crack open the hose". In other words, when I opened the hose on the outlet side of the filter, it filled the filter with gas. More on that in a bit.

Quote:

Re: Vaccum Diagram Needed - 02/16/10 05:15 AM

Dayclona, that's what I though too so I was focused on the the fuel stuff. The bottom line is, I replaced the ECU on a whim and [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean], the car runs like a champ! No high RPM miss, no engine stalling, nothing. I drove it around for an hour and besides the carb needing adjustment again, it runs better than the day I bought it. Last week! Heh heh! I literally took an item that was "brand new" and tossed it in the trash. I should have beat it with a hammer first but I didn't. So, the car is running good but I still want to check the hoses and stuff. Your schematics will make that easier and for that, I thank you.

Re: Vaccum Diagram Needed - 02/16/10 05:30 AM

Quote:

I replaced the ECU on a whim. I literally took an item that was "brand new" and tossed it in the trash.

I'm glad you got it especially before tossing anymore (unneeded) parts at it. What color was the bad ((almost new) ECU? Please say orange EDIT I see the blue one in the pic

Re: Vaccum Diagram Needed - 02/17/10 12:29 AM

Yeah, it was a light blue and is now replaced with a Standard Ignition dark blue. I'd rather have the Mopar box but I don't know where to buy them yet. Are they still available?

Re: Vaccum Diagram Needed - 02/17/10 01:06 AM

Quote:

I'd rather have the Mopar box but I don't know where to buy them yet. Are they still available?

The oe black one w the yellow lettering? "Joesixpack" on here has alot of NOS stuff
© 2024 Moparts Forums