Moparts

distributor build question

Posted By: Dusted_Ya

distributor build question - 02/13/10 03:18 AM

Okay on a stock 318 with initial timing set at say 7 btdc if I hook up the vacuum line to the distributor and the RPM's jump up and the timing as well what is wrong here? Vacuum pot bad? Springs too weak? Drinking too much???
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: distributor build question - 02/13/10 03:24 AM

You hooking the vacuum advance to the wrong port on the carb. needs to be on ported vacuum not manifold!
Posted By: dave571

Re: distributor build question - 02/13/10 04:01 AM

Quote:

You hooking the vacuum advance to the wrong port on the carb. needs to be on ported vacuum not manifold!

yup.

Should be no vacuum on the port you use, at idle. Only at higher engine speeds.

Re: distributor build question - 02/13/10 04:35 AM

It's a carter 2bbl and there is only 1 port on it beside the one for the PCV valve.
Posted By: rss

Re: distributor build question - 02/13/10 07:07 AM

Sounds like you have the throttle blades open too far which is allowing to much vacuum pull on your vac. advance canister. Advanced timing and increased rpm makes sense since you are engaging the vacuum advance can.

Do you have a vacuum gauge to check vacuum level you are getting from carb port?

Re: distributor build question - 02/13/10 07:44 AM

Oh right, throttle blades! I'll check that in morning. I just rebuilt the carb and I'll bet I didn't get that set right. Thanks rss.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: distributor build question - 02/13/10 05:39 PM

Like this?

Attached picture 5801856-2BLcarter.JPG
Posted By: rss

Re: distributor build question - 02/14/10 04:26 PM

Quote:

Oh right, throttle blades! I'll check that in morning. I just rebuilt the carb and I'll bet I didn't get that set right.

Any good news to report back?
© 2024 Moparts Forums