Moparts

Frame connectors help!

Posted By: hemi4speed

Frame connectors help! - 02/11/10 02:16 PM

I'm considering on putting frame connectors in my 69 rr. I drive it all the time, and the ole unibody is flexing more as the yrs go on.. Being a ragtop it has stress cracks on the Dutch panels. Is thier some frame connectors that are curved to fit instead of Straight bars? Looking for idea's?
Posted By: therocks

Re: Frame connectors help! - 02/11/10 04:08 PM

One of the sponsors here makes them.From what Ive read they fit pretty good.I wish they made a set for my 65 B body.I think US Car tool.Rocky
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Frame connectors help! - 02/12/10 01:33 AM

The US cartool pieces are nice, but you have to weld along the floor. All good, so long as you don't mind tearing your interior out to do this job.

Re: Frame connectors help! - 02/12/10 02:03 AM

Thanks Guys, I called Jim at cartool.Really cool guy spent a good time on the phone,giving all kinds tips on firming the roadrunner. I'm buying his frame connectors. I have to replace the carpet anyways...its been 21yrs since I installed that one..man I'm getting old
Posted By: badblack68

Re: Frame connectors help! - 02/12/10 02:39 AM

RU nuts?
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: Frame connectors help! - 02/12/10 02:43 AM

I have a set of the bolt on frame conectors. They work fine. Unless your building a 800 horse monster you don't need them fancy weld in ones. Lot of work for little gain. Plus once there in there there for life unless you want to replace the whole floor section.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Frame connectors help! - 02/12/10 03:10 AM

In a ragtop I'd definately be going with the contoured weld-in units.

You'll get a lot of nay-sayers on here but without a roof structure you need all the help you can get.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Frame connectors help! - 02/12/10 05:01 AM

I like the look of the US cartools frame connectors. They look almost like something the factory would have done, and most people won't even notice them and think it is stock.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Frame connectors help! - 02/12/10 05:11 AM

Quote:

I have a set of the bolt on frame conectors. They work fine. Unless your building a 800 horse monster you don't need them fancy weld in ones. Lot of work for little gain. Plus once there in there there for life unless you want to replace the whole floor section.

Really I would have said the opposite, the bolt in ones are a lot of money for little gain. In the middle of installing new floor pans in my bro's charger and we're installing 3"x2" square tube frame connectors. Cutting the floors is not that big a deal, and we figure if we're going to do it, might as well do it right. And really, who would ever want to remove a set of properly done frame connectors unless it's a high $ #'s car maybe.
Posted By: DennisH

Re: Frame connectors help! - 02/12/10 12:39 PM

USCartool. Best single upgrade to my 69 B Body. Drives more like a modern rigid-frame car.
Posted By: volaredon

Re: Frame connectors help! - 02/13/10 02:38 AM

Built my own. some cardboard to make a template, <$15 in material from the steel supply place and a couple hours with my MIG. (incl install on the car) and yes mine protruded a little into the rear floor area, but not enuf that the padding and carpet won't hide; and I ain't sittin in the bcak of my own car anyway so even if it did I won't notice it once the car's back together!
Posted By: 68SportSatvert

Re: Frame connectors help! - 02/13/10 02:25 PM

I used the ones from US Cartool on my convertible. Easy to install and look great. Well worth the money.
Posted By: 69RR383

Re: Frame connectors help! - 02/13/10 03:22 PM

Quote:

USCartool. Best single upgrade to my 69 B Body. Drives more like a modern rigid-frame car.

Re: Frame connectors help! - 02/13/10 09:32 PM

Thanks again..they are on the way I put way to many miles on it. It somtimes becomes my summer daliy driver, Heck we havent had any snow in a few weeks up here, so I took it out the other day..These cars are made be driven

Attached picture 5802258-CIMG0262.JPG
Posted By: moretoys

Re: Frame connectors help! - 02/13/10 10:34 PM

True bolt in system.Other than the system being available.I know nothing about the kit.

http://www.unlawfulracing.com/5.html
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Frame connectors help! - 02/13/10 10:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Really I would have said the opposite, the bolt in ones are a lot of money for little gain. In the middle of installing new floor pans in my bro's charger and we're installing 3"x2" square tube frame connectors. Cutting the floors is not that big a deal, and we figure if we're going to do it, might as well do it right. And really, who would ever want to remove a set of properly done frame connectors unless it's a high $ #'s car maybe.

Agreed. I am skeptical of any bolt in system--I just don't think you can get the ridgidity required. Things are going to move. If the bolts go completely through the frame sections then the required torque to achive ridgity would bend (pinch) the frame section.
Weld for me.
Posted By: yellow sixpack

Re: Frame connectors help! - 02/13/10 11:07 PM

Torque boxes??? Chrysler put them in from the factory. Why not go with them. Used on all Hemi cars.

Re: Frame connectors help! - 02/13/10 11:11 PM

Quote:

Torque boxes??? Chrysler put them in from the factory. Why not go with them. Used on all Hemi cars.

Already has them from the factory, also all ragtops had heavier gauge rockers, But after 40 years with no Roof, I have to tie it together.
© 2024 Moparts Forums