Moparts

Help me make a header gasket choice

Posted By: 1fastrunner

Help me make a header gasket choice - 07/26/08 10:54 AM

I have a small exhaust leak on my passenger side and I have to remove my driver side to change out the starter. I have Hooker Headers and I'd like some help choosing some gaskets that will best help eliminate the leaks I'm currently having.
Thanks,
Jim
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: Help me make a header gasket choice - 07/26/08 11:24 AM

I've had good luck with the mr gasket ultra seals, they seemed to work for me when the cheap white paper gaskets wouldn't. What kind are you using now? If you have had a leak as long as that header has been on, you might consider a remflex ($) gasket which should seal anything. Or some people use red RTV only.
Posted By: Junky

Re: Help me make a header gasket choice - 07/26/08 12:23 PM

I've tired a few, but the one that flat stops leaks is Remflex.
Posted By: HemiStan

Re: Help me make a header gasket choice - 07/26/08 01:08 PM

Quote:

Absolutely. I will never buy another brand except for these.
Posted By: RJS

Re: Help me make a header gasket choice - 07/26/08 02:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

DITTO!!!
Posted By: doctor_mopar

Re: Help me make a header gasket choice - 07/26/08 03:37 PM

How about NO Gasket ! I used Permatex Ultra High Temp Copper Silicone. If your flanges are good, clean and strait, head surface the same, it works !
Posted By: Y3 70 BEE

Re: Help me make a header gasket choice - 07/26/08 09:38 PM

Ultra copper works great but remflex is the way to go.
Posted By: 440abody

Re: Help me make a header gasket choice - 07/26/08 09:56 PM

REMFLEX, problem solved.
Posted By: ohiodemon

Re: Help me make a header gasket choice - 07/27/08 12:09 AM

i like the Percy's aluminum.

Re: Help me make a header gasket choice - 07/27/08 01:44 AM

My dilemma is: it might only be a temp fix. I'm replacing my starter and wanting to fix a leak on the other side. I'm also contemplating pulling the motor for a rebuild. I've checked the pricing on the Remflex, and it seems like the best long term solution. It's a bit pricey for a quick, temporary fix. I still need to make some decisions.
Jim
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Help me make a header gasket choice - 07/27/08 02:03 AM

I recommended remflex to 2 mopar buddies- they did not like the price a but bought them none the less. They both are now Remflex customers for life. Quickie cheap TEMPORARY fix is the cheapo paper gasket with a bead of the permatex on both sides of gasket.

Re: Help me make a header gasket choice - 07/27/08 02:07 AM

Where's the best place to purchase it a get the best price?
Jim
Posted By: 70RR383

Re: Help me make a header gasket choice - 07/27/08 02:20 AM

Remflex.com.I called and ordered over the phone.ONLY WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Junky

Re: Help me make a header gasket choice - 07/27/08 05:38 AM

Quote:

Where's the best place to purchase it a get the best price?
Jim

The local speed shop have em', and I've seen them at an auto store, but can't remember which one. I think it was CarQuest.
Posted By: MY340

Re: Help me make a header gasket choice - 07/27/08 01:56 PM

Quote:

I've had good luck with the mr gasket ultra seals, they seemed to work for me when the cheap white paper gaskets wouldn't. What kind are you using now? If you have had a leak as long as that header has been on, you might consider a remflex ($) gasket which should seal anything. Or some people use red RTV only.

I use Ultra Seal too and no problems.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Help me make a header gasket choice - 07/27/08 06:49 PM

We have run Mr Gasket Ultra.One set was on for at least 6 years and no leaks.Evewn have reused them.At 15 bucks a set I can replace mine every 6 or 7 years and still come out ahead.The coppers leaked like a sieve even with my TTIs.Rocky
Posted By: Alikazam

Re: Help me make a header gasket choice - 07/27/08 07:12 PM

With Mr. Gasket Ultra Seals, I had to "punch out" the mounting holes on the passenger side of my engine so that the gasket would line up properly and seal. I then got the Remflex gaskets set and put them on that same side no changes and they sealed up first shot. Bought them at a local NAPA shop, but you may have to hunt around to find someone that carries them locally or just buy online. They are indeed a great gasket. LOTS of crush to em to fill all those nasty imperfections.

Re: Help me make a header gasket choice - 07/29/08 01:59 AM

I ordered my Remflex yesterday. I found the big block exhaust gaskets on Amazon.com for $28.40 including shipping.
Jim
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: Help me make a header gasket choice - 07/29/08 02:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

1000%
© 2024 Moparts Forums