Moparts

Gas Tank Replacement....Any tips?

Posted By: 67chargerRandy

Gas Tank Replacement....Any tips? - 07/25/08 10:42 AM

I have a new tank and all the parts to put in my 67 Charger, Is there any tips or tricks I should know before I start. This will be the first tank I have replaced. Thanks for the help.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Gas Tank Replacement....Any tips? - 07/25/08 11:06 AM

Drain it first. Take off the little rubber vent elbow and the feed line. The J-bolt is on the passenger side. Lower it slowly until you can ease the filler tube out. Then just bring it on down. It's not very heavy. Take your time and look things over. You'll be fine.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Gas Tank Replacement....Any tips? - 07/25/08 11:17 AM

wear goggles and a mask. You won't believe what's up under that thing. and YES drain it 1st.Get the car up high. you can lower it to your chest and slide out. Clean you J-Bolts up and hit them w/ WD-40 or like the night before.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Gas Tank Replacement....Any tips? - 07/25/08 11:33 AM

Don't Smoke.
Posted By: 67R/T4speeder

Re: Gas Tank Replacement....Any tips? - 07/25/08 03:11 PM

I just did mine and its easy . Dont forget the ground strap on tube .
Posted By: 67chargerRandy

Re: Gas Tank Replacement....Any tips? - 07/26/08 05:13 PM

Thanks for the tips, I've drove the gas about all out, It's on the "E". I guess I'll know how much is left in the tank when the gauge says empty. It is the OEM tank so it will have a lot of "stuff" on top of it, I hadn't thought about that. I'm going to change it next week if I have time.
Posted By: terzmo

Re: Gas Tank Replacement....Any tips? - 07/26/08 05:28 PM

tranny jack is a great help..pretty straight forward job
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Gas Tank Replacement....Any tips? - 07/26/08 09:25 PM

I used some black tar roofing paper & cut a piece. It looked thicker than the one we had for another tank R&R job that was either NOS or from year1,cant remember too far back.
© 2024 Moparts Forums