Moparts

Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can

Posted By: Rob440Magnum

Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 02/01/10 11:27 PM

I just finished spray painting my aluminum intake manifold with with Duplicolor high temp engine enamel spray paint in a rattle can.

Is there a way to get this to look more glossy? What if I spray paint with high-temp clear coat by Duplicolor will that add any more shine or gloss?

Thanks, Rob
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 02/02/10 12:14 AM

Quote:

Is there a way to get this to look more glossy? What if I spray paint with high-temp clear coat by Duplicolor will that add any more shine or gloss?

I'm going to go out on a limb & say yes. I was thinking on here the other day a person had a problem w duplicolor and I think he ended up clear coating it to improve it.
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 02/02/10 12:54 AM

I did one for a customer of mine,it looked pretty nice.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 02/02/10 02:51 AM

They're supplying a product to duplicate the factory finish - which wasn't glossy. Other than "custom" colors I've not seen engine enamels that produce a gloss finish.

It could also be the conditions you're spraying in. If its too cold you won't get a shine and if its too hot the paint will dry too quickly. If you're fogging it on instead of laying on enough to be "wet" you won't get a gloss either.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 02/02/10 07:44 AM

I hear the plastikote stuff is glossier than the duplicolor stuff. I didn't mind the lack of gloss so much as the duplicolor hemi orange is such a low solids paint it takes 80,000 coats to cover.
Posted By: chewy

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 02/02/10 08:00 AM

The Hi-Temp Clear yellows with heat. I tried an aluminum intake that I polished up all nice and shiny. 1000 miles later and a few runs down the track it was a pretty goldish color.
Posted By: donbarnes

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 02/02/10 06:00 PM

All of the Duplicolor clears yellow quickly, even their clear wheel finish, a couple of years after that it will crumble and fall off .And the Duplicolor engine enamels I used on my engine the first time were peeling everywhere within 2 years. Just got done stripping everything back down and went with Plastikote this time on advice of others here...
Posted By: ademon

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 02/02/10 06:06 PM

i noticed the duplicolor chips so easy, what is plasticoats # for hemi orange
Posted By: Junky

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 02/02/10 07:30 PM

I used Plasti-kote Chrysler Orange Part Number 226. I like the color. Been on now for 3 years, like I painted it yesterday.
Posted By: torkrules

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 02/02/10 11:17 PM

Quote:

i noticed the duplicolor chips so easy, what is plasticoats # for hemi orange

I found that gasoline will strip it faster than speedy gonsalez!
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 02/03/10 12:13 AM

To answer the OP..I'd go over the Dupli color with Plasti Kote engine enamel clear.

Plasti Kote is the best engine paint in a spray bomb.
Posted By: Coronet-R/T-Rag

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 02/03/10 02:40 AM

Use the Plastikote. I put it on thick and it dries shiney. Must be hot though.
Posted By: demonH1B

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 02/03/10 03:14 PM

Anyone have experience with Mopar engine
paint, st.hemi orange?
Posted By: ademon

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 02/03/10 03:26 PM

Quote:

paint, st.hemi orange?

I don't think they offer it anymore. it was the best match to original ST Hemi orange, more of a red almost
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 02/03/10 03:28 PM

Quote:

paint, st.hemi orange?

Colorwise race hemi is a much better match to the oe orange than the street hemi is.
Posted By: 72blubird

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 02/03/10 08:29 PM

Use Plasti-kote you won't be disappointed
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 02/03/10 09:52 PM

Plasti-kote here all the way!

Attached picture 5779588-engine1.jpg
Posted By: maundmotorworks

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 02/03/10 10:02 PM

Quote:

Use Plasti-kote you won't be disappointed

Plasti-kote is wonderful! Recently I tried Dupli-Color's Street Hemi orange and it was the most god-awful paint I have ever used. Really sucks! As for clearcoats, I got away from the spraybomb clears and use regular automotive clear on everything. It withstands the heat and holds a beautiful shine way longer than the spraybomb clears ever could. Thought to ponder: as long as a paint comes in a spraybomb, it doesn't have hardener. Regular auto clear applied with a gun uses a hardening catalyst to enhance durability and hold a gloss.

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 02/04/10 11:59 PM

Ok, thanks for the responses. My intake is already painted with duplicolor in Chrysler Orange about 5 days ago.

Question:

What prep work should I do to spray with plastikote clear to enhance gloss and shine?

Should I scuff with a scotchbrite, should a spray a coat or two of color by plastikote before I clear? Suggestions?

Thanks, Rob
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 02/05/10 12:34 AM

1 week old rattle can paint that hasn't even been heat-cured yet? Clear it. You'll get a good bond. That paint is still fresh enough.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 02/05/10 06:31 AM

This is Dupli-Color thats been on my 63's eng for 4 years and holding up fine so far. The Mopar Hemi orange was junk as half the cans dont work and when they did it was like spraying water on the eng. Ron

Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 02/05/10 01:44 PM

Quote:

Ok, thanks for the responses. My intake is already painted with duplicolor in Chrysler Orange about 5 days ago.

Question:

What prep work should I do to spray with plastikote clear to enhance gloss and shine?

Should I scuff with a scotchbrite, should a spray a coat or two of color by plastikote before I clear? Suggestions?

Thanks, Rob

Don't spray it with clear over Duplicolor. You will still have the wrong color. If you are going to the trouble of getting the existing color ready for clear just shoot Plasticoat color.
Wipe everything with laq. thinner and shoot it.
Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 02/05/10 05:25 PM

Do they still make Plasti-coat? All I ever see is Dupli-color which is ok I suppose...

My Plasti-coat finish on my 318 has been there for 10 years
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 02/05/10 06:12 PM

Here's some spray can color paint color threads from the past.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 02/05/10 09:40 PM

I had a hard time tracking it down locally as well.

I went to the local Car-Quest auto parts store and they ordered some for me.

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 03/19/10 02:50 AM

Thanks for the help. Below is what I ended up doing.

1. scuffed the duplicolor paint that I applied weeks ago with a scotchbrite pad to help promote better adhesion
2. two med-heavy coats plastikote Chrysler orange engine enamel
3. two med-heavy coats plastikote clear engine enamel

Results are absolutey WOW! The shine is amazing and exactly what I was looking for. On a scale from 1-10 the I would rate the Duplicolor a 3, and the Plastikote color followed by clear a 10.

Thanks everyone for your input, Rob
Posted By: HitIt

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 03/19/10 04:18 PM

I noticed the OP said he is painting a aluminum intake.

In my experience bare aluminum is more porous and the paint soaks in and look less glossy. You'll have to put on more coats on the aluminum to build up the surface to match the cast iron.
Posted By: CHRGR69

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 03/19/10 04:32 PM

Quote:

I just finished spray painting my aluminum intake manifold with with Duplicolor high temp engine enamel spray paint in a rattle can.

Thanks, Rob

Do not mean to hijack, but has anyone tried the Duplicolor High temp/heat header black spray paint?
Posted By: rapom

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 03/19/10 10:56 PM

I did with exhaust manifolds and it worked great. sand blast, wipe down or spray with brake cleaner.
Then spray. When handling use gloves or the oils off your skin might ruin the areas you touch.
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 03/19/10 11:03 PM

I just painted my motor with Mopar engine paint. Lots of places carry it even Summit. New formula. Not watery. Covered very well. Color looks right on.
Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 08/25/11 04:41 PM

Old thread is old but what about VHT? anybody used it?
Posted By: 471Magnum

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 08/25/11 07:01 PM

I've had very good luck with VHT in the past. Color choices are limited though. I think the only Mopar colors are Hemi Orange and maybe Turquoise. No Blue.

VHT is a division of Duplicolor, but seems to be a different formulation than the Duplicolor engine paint.
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 08/25/11 07:17 PM

weird this thread was brought back to life as i was just reading it the other day! i was looking for the 'race' hemi orange (NOT pumpkin colored) and i was hoping to find something i could just walk into a parts store and get - not happening!
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Paint - spray can - 08/25/11 08:09 PM

Test sample comparisons here:

© 2024 Moparts Forums