Moparts

painting/dying convertible rear seat side panels.

Posted By: Waveraider

painting/dying convertible rear seat side panels. - 07/25/08 01:46 AM

Didn't get a response from my old post, so I'll try again. I want to dye this panel black, but would like to keep the two tone gloss/satin finsh like like the green has. I was thinking about spraying the textured sections with the dye and painting the smooth with the same gloss black automotive paint that I used on my inner doors. Do you guys think that will work, or will it melt/damage the plastic panel? Thanks.

Posted By: reno340

Re: painting/dying convertible rear seat side panels. - 07/25/08 01:54 AM

You need to use an interior paint as the same paint you use on the body will probably not stick well on the olastic/upolstered surfaces. They can make it in different glosses for you.

Posted By: MOBodyman

Re: painting/dying convertible rear seat side panels. - 07/25/08 06:24 AM

I redid the rear panels in my '68 B'cuda. I painted the upper areas with the same paint I used on the metal upper door frames. It was base/clear. I sanded and prepped the same as if it was metal. No problems. It won't melt unless you use paint stripper or lots of thinner on it.
I would use the medium gloss vinyl paint/dye that you are using on the rest of the interior for the textured areas. Scrub with soapy water and a fine scotchbrite pad and you'll be ready to spray.
Dallas
missourimopar.com
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: painting/dying convertible rear seat side panels. - 07/25/08 12:50 PM

Exactly what I did lasted now for more than 10 years.

Attached picture 4574468-RoadRunnervert008.jpg
Posted By: Lefty

Re: painting/dying convertible rear seat side panels. - 07/25/08 09:51 PM

Quote:

I was thinking about spraying the textured sections with the dye and painting the smooth with the same gloss black automotive paint that I used on my inner doors.

That's what I'm going to do on my 66 Coronet convertible. I've never heard of any problems with it. Do a test spray on the back side if you want to be 100% sure.
Posted By: Waveraider

Re: painting/dying convertible rear seat side panels. - 07/26/08 03:12 AM

Thanks for the replies. Makes me feel better about my choice.

Moparmike. Nice car and what color is your paint? I'm spraying F4 Red and hoping my car turns out with a similar color as yours.
© 2024 Moparts Forums