Moparts

440 intake manifold

Posted By: stateroadhog

440 intake manifold - 01/29/10 12:50 AM

Looks like I have to go back to stock manifold on my 70RR to clear air grabber. (running eddy performer RPM) What is the best one to use? Lot of diffrent years with diffrent carb holes. thanks Brian
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/29/10 12:53 AM

any one that is easily (cheaply) available w the carb pattern you need (square or spread bore)
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/29/10 12:16 PM

what ya gonna do with that rpm intake????

Posted By: gch

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/29/10 01:17 PM

I believe the 70-71 intakes are the best.You may try the edelbrock ch4b to see if you have the clearance.I have one with hogged out bolt holes if you want to try it for fitment.Cover the shipping and it's yours.

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/29/10 02:09 PM

Which holes are hogged out? So its not a usable intake? I will probably sell RPM. thanks Brian
Posted By: HemiDave

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/29/10 02:27 PM

Quote:

Which holes are hogged out? So its not a usable intake? I will probably sell RPM. thanks Brian

He means where the intake bolts to the heads, the holes are elongated or oversized. Someone may have had a hard time fitting it on their engine and opened up the bolt holes. Intake is still very usable! And that design is very similiar in size to the stock manifold....thus the offer to try that one.

Dave
Posted By: Kudakidd

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/29/10 02:50 PM

Have you tried a CH4B Edelbrock? Almost the same height but much better in overall performance. There are still plenty out there for sale.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/29/10 03:01 PM

Get a CH4B intake. It wil work and is almost as good as the RPM.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/29/10 04:10 PM

Hood clearance...how about the Holley Street Dominator? Does not look like the factory dual plane but is available new AND used, is an excellent performer and is low enough to where you can dial in the exact carb position/height with a spacer.

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/29/10 05:31 PM

Thanks for all the great info. Now is that Edlebrock manifold cast with the CH4B in it or is there another number to go by? I have looked at all the usuall sites here, craigs list, e-bay, amazon. is there anyone that might have one of these manifolds for sale other than the one that gch has offered me?
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/29/10 08:05 PM

Quote:

Hood clearance...how about the Holley Street Dominator? Does not look like the factory dual plane but is available new AND used, is an excellent performer and is low enough to where you can dial in the exact carb position/height with a spacer.

I had to cut my aircleaner veloicty type base on my 383 in a N96 70 Bee. Then couldn't run a wingnut bcause it hit the hood.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/29/10 08:17 PM

It's just called the CH4B, no other name. It's a good intake and definitely the one you want.
Posted By: 383man

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/29/10 11:35 PM

Quote:

I use the Holley Street Dominator and it fit under my stock flat hood with room to spare. I thought the Holley SD was shorter then the Eddy intake ? I know the Street Dominator works good and has good low end for a single plane. Ron

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/29/10 11:45 PM

Quote:

I thought the Holley SD was shorter then the Eddy intake ?

It is shorter than the RPM intake, but taller than the CH4B. I have heard from others as well that the SD is too tall for an air grabber setup.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/29/10 11:49 PM

YOU GUYZ and your CH4B !

IF that intake is superior to most intakes out there ... THEN WHY didn't Eddy repop that intake AS-IS .. just like it was produced back in the 60's ?

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/29/10 11:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I thought the Holley SD was shorter then the Eddy intake ?

IT IS SHORTER

It is shorter than the RPM intake, but taller than the CH4B. I have heard from others as well that the SD is too tall for an air grabber setup.

IT DOES The air cleaner has a velocity stack built into the base. I had to shorten mine. Cut it,welded a plate, cut a hole for the carb. If you want it to seal with the duct work that's what you do. Or store the stock air cleaner.
Posted By: 1MYTGTX

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/29/10 11:55 PM

Quote:

Thanks for all the great info. Now is that Edlebrock manifold cast with the CH4B in it or is there another number to go by? I have looked at all the usuall sites here, craigs list, e-bay, amazon. is there anyone that might have one of these manifolds for sale other than the one that gch has offered me?

CH4B...even has a Chrysler part # on it (as an aluminum replacement for the cast iron stocker....

Attached picture 5768469-CH4B.jpeg

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/30/10 12:00 AM

Quote:

YOU GUYZ and your CH4B !

IF that intake is superior to most intakes out there ... THEN WHY didn't Eddy repop that intake AS-IS .. just like it was produced back in the 60's ?

I think it is a little bit better than stock. Where is that manifold test that MM did? The stocker went to 500 didn't it?
Posted By: BSB67

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/30/10 12:05 AM

The CH4B is about .4 taller than the stock intake, and the SD is about .9 taller than stock. The CH4B is a nice improvement over stock cast iron hp intake

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/30/10 12:06 AM

I don't think all of them had Chrysler numbers on them.

What did you run on you BB's when you were racing back then Doc?

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/30/10 12:06 AM

Quote:

I think it is a little bit better than stock.

THERE you go !

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/30/10 12:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I think it is a little bit better than stock.

THERE you go !

Its all relative.
Posted By: jt4406

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/30/10 03:24 AM

Here ya go guys, pics of 5 different 440 manifolds, aluminum 6 pack, performer 440 RPM, performer 440, Mopar 2836150, and Mopar (over the counter ??)aluminum with measurements from the driver side valve cover.
compare away.....

jt

Attached picture 5768904-IMG_7314.JPG

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/30/10 03:25 AM

sorry, reverse order

Attached picture 5768910-IMG_7313.JPG

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/30/10 03:27 AM

Performer

Attached picture 5768912-IMG_7310.JPG

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/30/10 03:30 AM

Performer RPM

Attached picture 5768917-IMG_7311.JPG

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/30/10 03:32 AM

Factory aluminum 6 pack

Attached picture 5768920-IMG_7312.JPG

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/30/10 06:01 AM

Quote:

YOU GUYZ and your CH4B !

If you look at the results of the 383 intake shootout, the CH4B did very well in 'part 1' where they tested the intakes on stock heads. In fact I think it beat out the RPM in bottom end power IIRC. When they tested the intakes bolted onto a set of CNC ported aftermarket heads, the results were the other way around, but it's all realitive to your head flow and cam specs.

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/30/10 07:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

YOU GUYZ and your CH4B !

If you look at the results of the 383 intake shootout, the CH4B did very well in 'part 1' where they tested the intakes on stock heads. In fact I think it beat out the RPM in bottom end power IIRC. When they tested the intakes bolted onto a set of CNC ported aftermarket heads, the results were the other way around, but it's all realitive to your head flow and cam specs.

Hey DT ...what does a 383 Shoot-out have to do with a CH4B ? .. the 383 intake that Eddy made that is similiar to the 440 one is a DP4B.

And again I ask ... if what you are saying is true ... why didn't Eddy just REpop these intakes AS-IS instead of all that R&D ? ...

Eddy did just-that with the TM-7 ...and Holley did just-that with the 440 Street Dominator.

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/30/10 12:38 PM

Quote:

YOU GUYZ and your CH4B !

Who on this thread stated that the CH4B is superior to anything but the stock intake? No one.

Because the design is very similar, it is reasonable to use the results from the DP4B test as a relative performance indicator for the CH4B. However, a stock manifold was not used in the test. Presuming the dyno was accurate in the test (big if) that would be, for a 383 b-body, about a 12.0 at 111 mph.

Edelbrock will make whatever they think they can make money on.
Posted By: gch

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/30/10 02:29 PM

IIRC the early ch4b intakes came with a chrysler part number and were sold through direct connection as well.
In the 440 intake shootout the ch4b did fairly well.It was down on low end tq compared to some dual planes but did well up top pulling peak hp at a higher rpm than all the other dual planes except for the rpm if memory serves.
I run one on my 496 in my c body because the rpm won't clear the hood with the factory air cleaner and it has much better bottom end than my street dominator(big heavy car).A performer will fit(barely touched the hood)but the ch4b pulls harder up top and rpm's higher w/o feeling restricted.
my 496 shifts at 5700rpm and will zing 6000+ with ported iron castings,small solid cam,and the ch4b intake with ease.It can move some air.The only mod I have done is have it deep port matched by Hughes engines.To keep the comparison even the same had bee done to my performer and sd as well.

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/30/10 03:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

YOU GUYZ and your CH4B !

Who on this thread stated that the CH4B is superior to anything but the stock intake? No one.

Because the design is very similar, it is reasonable to use the results from the DP4B test as a relative performance indicator for the CH4B. However, a stock manifold was not used in the test. Presuming the dyno was accurate in the test (big if) that would be, for a 383 b-body, about a 12.0 at 111 mph.

Who said it was the BESTest(or very near the top) ? .. not directly .. but it was inferred.

And JUST BECAUSE the RB intake does well ...does not mean the B engine one will also follow-suit.

And you suggest Eddy will make anything(no matter what the performance is) .. just to make money ? WrongO .... Vic is a smarter business-man than that. I have MET and TALKED to Vic ...when I was an NHRA sponsor.
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/30/10 04:13 PM

I don't know if this will help the orignal question of fitment but i have the eddy performer on my GTX. It fits fine with stock air cleaner. No hood issues. Performs well on my mild 440. Better then the torker that was on the car. Not sure if it would fit perfet with air grabber set up. I do beleive it is a tad higher then stock intake.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/30/10 04:39 PM

Doesnt mopar performance make an M1 dual plane? I know they did for the smallblock and it looked like an OEM manifold yet made more power than the "Leading Competitors"....(performer) manifold.

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/30/10 05:08 PM

Sure did open the door on this question. If the clearence is so tight on the air grabber. So the six pack setup being 1 3/4 inches taller than stock clears because of the air cleaner/filter setup?
Posted By: 72roadrunnergtx

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/30/10 05:29 PM

The N96/Air Grabber air cleaner base used for the six-pack is specifically designed to accommodate the additional height of both the carbs and 6bbl manifold height relative to the under hood components.

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/30/10 05:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

YOU GUYZ and your CH4B !

Who said it was the BESTest(or very near the top) ? .. not directly .. but it was inferred.

And JUST BECAUSE the RB intake does well ...does not mean the B engine one will also follow-suit.

And you suggest Eddy will make anything(no matter what the performance is) .. just to make money ? WrongO .... Vic is a smarter business-man than that. I have MET and TALKED to Vic ...when I was an NHRA sponsor.

I don't know, who? Your making the claim not me.

No point in arguing opninions on DP4B verses CH4B.

I too have spoken with Vic. Great guy. They make some great products and I am thankful that they continue to contribute to the sport. However, just like every other reputable business man I know, he is in the business to make a profit. If he believed that he could get an ROI better than other initiatives currently underway at Edelbrock, he would do it. If you think otherwise, your kidding yourself.

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/30/10 06:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

YOU GUYZ and your CH4B !

Hey DT ...what does a 383 Shoot-out have to do with a CH4B ? .. the 383 intake that Eddy made that is similiar to the 440 one is a DP4B.

And again I ask ... if what you are saying is true ... why didn't Eddy just REpop these intakes AS-IS instead of all that R&D ? ...

Eddy did just-that with the TM-7 ...and Holley did just-that with the 440 Street Dominator.

Well the DP4B is just the B block version of the CH4B, so yes I am going under the assumption that the flow characteristics between the two is basically the same. I am betting the engineers working for holley used basically the same design for B and RB versions of this intake, rather than starting all over from scratch again.

Nobody is saying the CH4B flows as well as the holley SD, eddy RPM or TM7. In applcations where there is sufficiant head flow to warrant max intake flow, the CH4B would not be at the top of the heap. But when you need a stock height intake, it's a good choice IMO.

Why didn't they repop this intake? Well if you take the CH4B, rotate the carb pad 180*, change it to a spreadbore and add a thermoquad choke well, visusally at least you have an edelbrock performer intake. Maybe they tweaked the intake design a little and gave it a different name so they could keep selling new intakes instead of having everyone going after cheap used pieces? Hey it's possible...
Posted By: forphorty

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/30/10 07:34 PM

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techa...brock_ch4b.html
Posted By: 383man

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/30/10 10:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

YOU GUYZ and your CH4B !

Well the DP4B is just the B block version of the CH4B, so yes I am going under the assumption that the flow characteristics between the two is basically the same. I am betting the engineers working for holley used basically the same design for B and RB versions of this intake, rather than starting all over from scratch again.

Nobody is saying the CH4B flows as well as the holley SD, eddy RPM or TM7. In applcations where there is sufficiant head flow to warrant max intake flow, the CH4B would not be at the top of the heap. But when you need a stock height intake, it's a good choice IMO.

Why didn't they repop this intake? Well if you take the CH4B, rotate the carb pad 180*, change it to a spreadbore and add a thermoquad choke well, visusally at least you have an edelbrock performer intake. Maybe they tweaked the intake design a little and gave it a different name so they could keep selling new intakes instead of having everyone going after cheap used pieces? Hey it's possible...

I would agree with this. Maybe they tweaked the intake and got the best out of it with more modern tech. Then called it the Performer RPM which is a better intake but a bit taller. I guess they figured the RPM would sell and why compete against their own newer intake by selling an older design. Thats just what I think they may have done but really dont know. Ron

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/31/10 12:39 AM

Brian:
Knowing which air grabber base you have (originally for 383 or 440, as they're different)will help answer your original question as to which manifold will help you "on my 70RR to clear air grabber". The 440 base is shorter than the 383 base because the intake and carb sits higher on the 440 than it does on the 383. I understand it is really close running a 383 air cleaner base on a stock 440 manifold so running a taller manifold and a 383 air cleaner base may result in hood clearance problems. Some of the guys here can tell you the difference in height on the 383 and 440 air cleaner bases, I'm thinking it's around 3/4 inch. RR's weren't available with a 4 bbl 440 but GTX's were, however it makes the bases hard to find (=$). I don't have a stock cast iron manifold to measure to compare to the above measurements but if you can find a manifold that is actually LOWER than the stock cast iron one by 1/2-3/4 inch you may be able to use your 383 base.
(Understand that to do this you will be giving up some top end hp by not using a better (taller) manifold design, but if you have to chose between the air grabber and the intake.....that's your decision.)

jt
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/31/10 12:40 AM

Quote:

YOU GUYZ and your CH4B !

don't make me google the artical..lol they shouldn't have stopped making it. it's better than the Performer intake they sell.
Posted By: mark7171

Re: 440 intake manifold - 01/31/10 01:14 AM

if your 440 is less than 9.0:1 and 224 deg @ .050 intake duration, your best bet is a Performer style. If you choose the Weiand Action + 8009 . It will make more tork similar to the TQ of a CH4B, and look the same. Yet, the top end will run out around 4,800 rpm. The actual Performer will get you good through 5-5200 rpms, making its torque peak a little latter than a CH. The Performer has more plenum volume than the Action + to account for this.

Some people say the runner length is to small on the low DP's and a RPM high rise must be used on a 440.

FYI-Rpm Mani's can be shaved 1/4" for clearance on a dual scoop hood.

Over 224 duration w/3.23's and lets recommend the RPM intake for street use. The RPM can take more radical camshaft than a open dominator intake.

At the track w/ 4.10's the dominator is the good one.

Re: 440 intake manifold - 02/01/10 02:04 PM

I have the 440 intake base! Had to look long time to find one.Its about 3/4 inch lower but I beleve I will still have a clearence problem. I don't mind geving up alittle top end to run the air grabber just want to get right manifold the first time.
© 2024 Moparts Forums