Moparts

ignition setup for stocker 71 Dart 318

Posted By: lunacy

ignition setup for stocker 71 Dart 318 - 01/26/10 10:40 PM

My 71 dart is in need of a new set of points. While things are apart I was thinking of upgrading it with either a Pertronix or 73 up electronic distributor. I have an extra MSD 6A Box and Blaster coil lying around I was going to run it with, so a Mopar box isn't needed.

With that in mind what would be the best idea. Get a newer distributor, just drop a Pertronix into the old distributor, or stick with the points?
Posted By: Belvedere2

Re: ignition setup for stocker 71 Dart 318 - 01/26/10 10:48 PM

I run the MSD box with the Blaster coil and a new Mopar dist. No problems so far. I'd definately get a new dist if I were you. If it's like my 67's original dist its got some slop and wear in it.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: ignition setup for stocker 71 Dart 318 - 01/27/10 01:04 AM

IMO,pick up a reman points dist and run a pertronix in it

been running mine that way for 9-10 yrs now never a problem

but have heard pertronix is made in china now and had some failures lately

73 up with msd and blaster would work fine also

if you get a reman dist from AZ it will have new points and gaped already..drop in and run

I just happen to like the old school points,gives me something to check and tune now and then

Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: ignition setup for stocker 71 Dart 318 - 01/27/10 01:08 AM

I really can't stand points I run the Mallory conversion on mine with great results.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: ignition setup for stocker 71 Dart 318 - 01/27/10 01:31 AM

I cant stand a stock elect dist and a crappy ecu that they came with either

to each his own

any of the newer stuff is better than points or stock ecu crap

I have run a pertronix so long I just swaped 3 carbs on my 440 with points before I rememberd what its like to have a bad condencer

but I have fixed a many a ecu crap on side of the road with droping in a points dizzy and then it goes till tune up time every time

the points dizzy will have a slightly better advance curve to it as well over an stock elect dizzy

stock vs stock that is..

plus a reman points dizzy is about 30$

billet any thing is top shelf along with the top shelf price tag IMO

I will be going to a pertronix real soon on the 440 myself anyways

I am waiting on the firecore plug and play dizzy as well...that should realy work great when they do come up for sale soon IMO

Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: ignition setup for stocker 71 Dart 318 - 01/27/10 01:34 AM

Quote:

IMO,pick up a reman points dist and run a pertronix in it
but have heard pertronix is made in china now and had some failures lately
73 up with msd and blaster would work fine also
if you get a reman dist from AZ it will have new points and gaped already..drop in and run
I just happen to like the old school points,gives me something to check and tune now and then

smaller gapped= more dwell=hotter spark=shorter point life
© 2024 Moparts Forums