Moparts

Adjstable pinion snubber ?

Posted By: Lew

Adjstable pinion snubber ? - 01/21/10 12:13 PM

(E) body adjustable snubber clearance? for race and cruising, if there is a differance, this not a drag car, just hopeing for a little help on the track with street tires.
Posted By: ireland383

Re: Adjstable pinion snubber ? - 01/21/10 12:44 PM

I set mine an inch away from the floorboard. The problem is you will spin easier with the snubber. You need sticky tires.
Posted By: MLR426

Re: Adjstable pinion snubber ? - 01/21/10 01:18 PM

Quote:

I set mine an inch away from the floorboard. The problem is you will spin easier with the snubber. You need sticky tires.

But with out the snubber you have a better chance of breaking things.

logan426
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Adjstable pinion snubber ? - 01/21/10 02:08 PM

Ideally, it would be cool to rig a solenoid of some sort, to de-activate and lower it as soon as you're done racing for the day, so you can get the suspension travel back. Ah, that's too much like work.
Posted By: Roppa440

Re: Adjstable pinion snubber ? - 01/21/10 04:11 PM

I adjust mine to within a quarter inch of the floor when on the track and as far away from the floor as possible on the road.
Posted By: Kudakidd

Re: Adjstable pinion snubber ? - 01/21/10 04:21 PM

The problem with MP's POS is that you can't lower it enough for street use. And if you are going to use one, weld a gusset between the base and the vertical tower with all the useless holes. They bend real easily. Thanks MP!
Posted By: 471Magnum

Re: Adjstable pinion snubber ? - 01/21/10 04:41 PM

Quote:

The problem with MP's POS is that you can't lower it enough for street use. And if you are going to use one, weld a gusset between the base and the vertical tower with all the useless holes. They bend real easily. Thanks MP!

The screw in type only offers slightly more clearance. If you're running stock ride height, you pretty much have to use a stock snubber.

Bottoming out a snubber on the street will really bruise your kidneys.
Posted By: joewhite440

Re: Adjstable pinion snubber ? - 01/21/10 04:49 PM

The pinion Snubbers work great at the 1 inch adjustment. Just make sure your leaf springs are not warn out or weak. Sometimes you need to upgrade to the SS springs or just replace your originals. Soft tires or slicks are a must on the track.

Joe Sr.
Posted By: Roppa440

Re: Adjstable pinion snubber ? - 01/21/10 08:57 PM

I cut my MP snubber so that it gave me the correct adjustability I needed for a stock ride height.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Adjstable pinion snubber ? - 01/21/10 09:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

But with out the snubber you have a better chance of breaking things.

logan426

But WITH the correct rear springs .. you do NOT need the PS.

A PS is nothing but a band-aid for a problem that can be solved with PROPER EQUIPMENT.
Posted By: badblack68

Re: Adjstable pinion snubber ? - 01/21/10 10:04 PM

I've sold quite a few of these Sox and Martin style dana 60 pinion snubbers without any complaints. They are manufactured right here in the U.S.A. and have the gusset that I think Mark was talking about. I've never recieved any feedback on street or strip use so I can't comment on how good or bad it functions. I usually say no news is good news. Has anybody used this Sox and Martin style snubber and care to comment on it? Good or bad.

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Adjstable pinion snubber ? - 01/21/10 10:08 PM

Quote:

Bottoming out a snubber on the street will really bruise your kidneys.

Yep, PITA on the street.

Not worth the $$ or the hassle IMO.

I installed one on a '71 Cuda a few years back and it was worthless.
Posted By: 68LAR

Re: Adjstable pinion snubber ? - 01/21/10 10:15 PM

Quote:

A PS is nothing but a band-aid for a problem that can be solved with PROPER EQUIPMENT.

I don't use one. When I did it made matters worse. If you think about how the rear suspension works, the snubber won't touch the floor board at launch anyway. The only reason the Ma Mopar put them on was to compensate for over loads in the trunk of a street car. It kept the back end from bottoming out. When you launch a Mopar, because of the short front spring segment,(which acts like a traction bar), the back of the car raises. Unlike a Ford or Chevy, that squat. If the back of the car raises, how is the pinion snubber going to come in contact with the floor board?
I run SS springs. My back end raises almost 3" at launch. With OE HD springs the same thing happens, but not as much lift in some cases. Use the snubber for a door stop. It'll get more use.
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Adjstable pinion snubber ? - 01/21/10 10:41 PM

Also, someone had mentioned that when the snubber was in contact with the body at the top end it felt like the car was "high centered" and leaned the car to one side or the other...No thanks...
Posted By: meepmeep70

Re: Adjstable pinion snubber ? - 01/21/10 11:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't use one. When I did it made matters worse. If you think about how the rear suspension works, the snubber won't touch the floor board at launch anyway. The only reason the Ma Mopar put them on was to compensate for over loads in the trunk of a street car. It kept the back end from bottoming out. When you launch a Mopar, because of the short front spring segment,(which acts like a traction bar), the back of the car raises. Unlike a Ford or Chevy, that squat. If the back of the car raises, how is the pinion snubber going to come in contact with the floor board?
I run SS springs. My back end raises almost 3" at launch. With OE HD springs the same thing happens, but not as much lift in some cases. Use the snubber for a door stop. It'll get more use.

yep,don't use one either,when i punch my pedal the back end raises up
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Adjstable pinion snubber ? - 01/22/10 12:59 AM

I have mine about 1/2" for the track. I've bent up others in the past, so I make them. I get decent lift at the launch considering the overhang, weight, 3.23 gear, stock converter and the attidude of the car at rest. For what it cost, its worth while

Attached picture 5751168-Launch.JPG
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Adjstable pinion snubber ? - 01/22/10 01:50 AM

I've used adjustable snubbers on a few cars with springs that were a little on the soft side. All were on lowest setting or even shortened to fit.

Re: Adjstable pinion snubber ? - 01/22/10 04:35 AM

That's what is odd to me.

The only cars they really help (crutch, cough, cough) they don't fit!

With stock springs and the lowest setting you still have to cut the rubber down! I used a cut down upper bump stop on mine.

IIRC, the DC Chassis Manual only recommends them for manual transmission cars anyway?!
Posted By: joewhite440

Re: Adjstable pinion snubber ? - 01/22/10 04:56 AM

Lots of people use to run them when you use to have so many Mopars with stock springs. That was before everybody could afford SS springs. They did help keep the pinion from twisting upward and braking ujoints and bolts and with Wheel Hop. I love the SS springs and the way they lift the whole car. Best thing Mopar ever did for suspension. But not very many cars came with them stock.
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Adjstable pinion snubber ? - 01/22/10 06:11 AM

Just sold mine it sat too high at my ride height, actually held the rear of the car up at the lowest setting. I'll be making a custom one if I go back to one again. I will most likely go to Cal-Tracs. The mopar performance work when set up right, but the ride height would be too high for my liking.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...RK%3AMESOX%3AIT
Posted By: Slim Smitty

Re: Adjstable pinion snubber ? - 01/22/10 06:24 AM

I spoke to Rick Ehrenberg about snubbers a while back.

This is what he said:

"You need some kind of windup control for sure with any pure leaf-spring rear suspension. The other option, other than the snubber, would be Cal-Tracs.

You also might get away without the snubber if you use quadrashocks (Just Suspension has the kit as 'Ground Pounder'). The old-fashioned "traction
bars" also accomplish this, but they bind up the rear suspension making them a disaster for street driving.

With no windup control, it is possible to momentarily over-angle the U-joints, resulting in instant destruction -- not pretty if you're at WOT in the 60-foot!"

Re: Adjstable pinion snubber ? - 01/22/10 06:46 AM

Quote:

This is what he said:

"You need some kind of windup control for sure with any pure leaf-spring rear suspension. The other option, other than the snubber, would be Cal-Tracs.

You also might get away without the snubber if you use quadrashocks (Just Suspension has the kit as 'Ground Pounder'). The old-fashioned "traction
bars" also accomplish this, but they bind up the rear suspension making them a disaster for street driving.

With no windup control, it is possible to momentarily over-angle the U-joints, resulting in instant destruction -- not pretty if you're at WOT in the 60-foot!"

Yes, no doubt you need the one that the factory installed.

It's the useless adjustable "too tall" one we're talking about.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Adjstable pinion snubber ? - 01/22/10 06:51 AM

Quote:

This is what he said:

B U T .. there is ZERO wind-up with the proper equipment ......

.... and PROPER equipment are SS springs.
Posted By: Lew

Re: Adjstable pinion snubber ? - 01/22/10 11:12 AM

Thanks for all reply's, at this point, guess i'll flip a coin.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Adjstable pinion snubber ? - 01/22/10 11:30 AM

Quote:

With stock springs and the lowest setting you still have to cut the rubber down! I used a cut down upper bump stop on mine.

Thats the other reason I made mine.

Attached picture 5752032-CopyofSnubber2.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums