Moparts

fuel pump help please

Posted By: mitchdublin

fuel pump help please - 01/19/10 10:49 PM

Hi Guys,
I recently bought a 72 satellite, with an earlier 440 fitted ( i think), Someone may be able to identify year by water hose in/out please. If i stand in front of car, top hose comes from rh of radiator, bottom hose on left.
I had to replace my fuel pump and ordered one for a 440, when it came, it had smaller inlet and outlet. I had to fit it, to make it to a carshow.
Thing i noticed is, when i kick down hard, car lacks fuel after about 7/8 secs, fuel bowl probably empty.
Can anyone identify this fuel pump, one in pic is the original. Was a carter (no codes on it though)
Think in/outs were 1/2"
Thanks for any help.
Mitch

Attached picture 5746161-17092009271.jpg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: fuel pump help please - 01/19/10 11:27 PM

The one in the pic looks like an "airtex" parts store replacement brand w 5/16" hose barb. If it is one w 3/8" fitting did the new one have smaller fittings? How did this one go bad, was it leaking or was it causing the fuel delivery symptoms you stated? I wonder if the pushrod is worn and/or contributing to the problem. A new one is 3&3/16"

Re: fuel pump help please - 01/19/10 11:34 PM

Hi, new one has smaller inlet and outlet, i made up a fitting to get me on the road, but i think it is starving the avs thunder. Old pump started leaking from the metal lip around top of pump.
Thanks

Re: fuel pump help please - 01/19/10 11:36 PM

and the old one was not starving it just a slight leak??

Re: fuel pump help please - 01/20/10 12:28 AM

Hi, yeh old one was fine, just developed a leak. Soon as i reduced inlet/outlet of pump, started to starve

Re: fuel pump help please - 01/20/10 01:00 AM

Alright that pretty much 99% confirms that the new one ain't cutting it. You might consider drilling out the inlet and outlet fittings on the new pump since it has to come off anyway and will be consigned to the shelf. I drilled out a stock airtex SB one (that looks strikingly similar to yours ex for the arm) to match my 3/8" lines as stock pumps are required (class rules). Haven't had a chance to try it yet but I'm not sure how much vol flows thru the in/out valves but I think w the size of the 2 long vertical barrells that the small fittings on the bottom are the restriction and redrilling it would save you the expense of a new pump (& wasting one) plus giving you the satisfaction of hand crafting a solution
Posted By: therocks

Re: fuel pump help please - 01/20/10 12:29 PM

Get a Holley pump.That will end your problems.My Holley mechanical feeds my 440 with a 1050 Dominayor.Rocky
Posted By: Crizila

Re: fuel pump help please - 01/20/10 01:13 PM

Quote:

plus giving you the satisfaction of hand crafting a solution

© 2024 Moparts Forums