Moparts

Thrust bearing clearance too tight HELP!!

Posted By: R/T1968R/T

Thrust bearing clearance too tight HELP!! - 01/15/10 06:02 PM

I installed the crank in a 440 set the thrust bearing then measured the end play and it came up too tight..002 I checked for interference and found none. Can I safely wet sand the thrust surfaces down to achieve.006???
Posted By: RobR

Re: Thrust bearing clearance too tight HELP!! - 01/15/10 06:07 PM

Give it a poink on the end of the crank snout a couple of times with a heavy dead blow hammer (hard) before you do anything...
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Thrust bearing clearance too tight HELP!! - 01/15/10 06:18 PM

if your using ARP studs or bolts they'll reduce the movement of the #3 cap.

Re: Thrust bearing clearance too tight HELP!! - 01/15/10 06:41 PM

Im using stock bolts. I already tried the hammer method!! Still at .002
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Thrust bearing clearance too tight HELP!! - 01/15/10 07:01 PM

Sand away. No problem.
Posted By: 375inStroke

Re: Thrust bearing clearance too tight HELP!! - 01/15/10 08:40 PM

Try hitting the crank in one direction, then the other while you pry on it. Then torque while prying.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Thrust bearing clearance too tight HELP!! - 01/15/10 09:05 PM

Before you get carried away sanding, set the insert in the cap, take a feeler gauge and make sure the flanges are tight against the cap. If not use a wood block and carefully massage the flanges to be tight against the cap. Do the same thing to the other bearing insert. The reason I mention all this is that I sanded a thrust for clearnace one time and near the end discovered the flanges had been 'cupped' at the edges.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Thrust bearing clearance too tight HELP!! - 01/15/10 10:00 PM

What he said a good visual for anything abnormal and when (if) you sand have someone hold the piece of fine sandpaper on a piece of glass so you have both hands free to hold both halves together & sand them in a figure 8 pattern.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Thrust bearing clearance too tight HELP!! - 01/15/10 10:29 PM

Are you measuring end play by moving the crank back and forth? If so, before you do ANYTHING check the clearances between the thrust and the crank with feeler gauges to be sure the bearing is the problem. Could be one of the other bearings is touching a filet and not letting the crank move as it should.
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: Thrust bearing clearance too tight HELP!! - 01/15/10 11:15 PM

Excellent suggestion.

Re: Thrust bearing clearance too tight HELP!! - 01/16/10 12:02 AM

I checked the end play with a dial indicator. I used 4 different areas to be safe. As far as the feeler gauge goes there was zero room. I put marking dye on the bearing ends to check against a filet rubbing...nothing.I then tried reinstalling an old bearing and there was .006 so I miked the over-all width and found the new bearing was indeed wider by almost .005 maybe the plating was too thick???
Posted By: draginmopars

Re: Thrust bearing clearance too tight HELP!! - 01/16/10 12:26 AM

If all parts aren't original to each other
take the thrust bearing out, make sure one of the other bearings isn't binding somewhere.
should have excessive clearance.

If you end up modding the thrust bearing, take the material off the side toward the front of the block. leaving the T/C or flywheel to thrust toward the factory surface..
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Thrust bearing clearance too tight HELP!! - 01/19/10 02:02 AM

Quote:

take the material off the side toward the front of the block. leaving the T/C or flywheel to thrust toward the factory surface..

Not contradicting this but wondering the reason why.
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: Thrust bearing clearance too tight HELP!! - 01/19/10 02:17 AM

because when they wear, they wear that side- like the torque converter is pushing the crank forward
Posted By: rftroy

Re: Thrust bearing clearance too tight HELP!! - 01/19/10 02:58 AM

Quote:

Are you measuring end play by moving the crank back and forth? If so, before you do ANYTHING check the clearances between the thrust and the crank with feeler gauges to be sure the bearing is the problem. Could be one of the other bearings is touching a filet and not letting the crank move as it should.

Reread the above. You need to first check the clearance out of the block.

Take the crank and put it on a workbench or table away from the block.
Place the bearing caps, one at a time, on the #3 journal and measure the clearance with feeler gauges. If it is OK, then you have a problem that will not be fixed with sanding.
Bob
Posted By: ron-denny

Re: Thrust bearing clearance too tight HELP!! - 01/19/10 05:38 AM

i had same problem ,take bearing out of cap and seeif the cap has a champher on each side and that the bearing is fitting cap correct it may be spreading the bearing, may have to do some fileing on cap!
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Thrust bearing clearance too tight HELP!! - 01/19/10 04:44 PM

Some very good suggestions on this thread, but if all the suggested checks were made - and to answer his ORIGINAL question, wet sanding the thrust surfaces to gain clearance is ok to do - IMO.
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: Thrust bearing clearance too tight HELP!! - 01/19/10 08:50 PM

Quote:

I tried reinstalling an old bearing and there was .006 so I miked the over-all width and found the new bearing was indeed wider by almost .005 maybe the plating was too thick???

Check with the manufacturer to be sure your new bearing is in spec.. You just want to make sure your old bearing isn't worn and that's why there is a difference.

99% sure the problem will be with the new bearing tolerance but theres always a chance !

Once the width is the confirmed problem - sand away!

The figure 8 on a flat surface mentioned above is the best way.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Thrust bearing clearance too tight HELP!! - 01/19/10 09:41 PM

You have to set the crank first hit it on the back and on the nose with a big ass rubber mallet! then re measure
© 2024 Moparts Forums