Moparts

Advice/adhesive help needed for a broken Cuda grill

Posted By: 70B5Cuda

Advice/adhesive help needed for a broken Cuda grill - 01/15/10 03:32 PM

I have a broken 70 Barracuda grill that I am trying to resurrect. What adhesives work well? I need some techniques/tips to to help me out as well. Let me know what you've done/what's worked. Thanks
Posted By: topside

Re: Advice/adhesive help needed for a broken Cuda grill - 01/15/10 04:00 PM

3M's 8115 structural adhesive - it's a 2-part glue.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Advice/adhesive help needed for a broken Cuda grill - 01/15/10 04:03 PM

I guess it would depend on the crack, and how big. I used a 2 part like the above to fix my 70 grill. Once painted you'd never know it was there.
Posted By: 70B5Cuda

Re: Advice/adhesive help needed for a broken Cuda grill - 01/15/10 04:13 PM

The grill is pretty bad. It has some cracks but also has some broken pieces.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Advice/adhesive help needed for a broken Cuda grill - 01/15/10 05:14 PM

If the Grill is really bad, they aren't worth saving anymore, call Mike Ross at BEA Parts and get a 70 Grille before their gone, cause once they're gone, they're gone for good, so don't be left holding the bag on this one, sell your old grill, there's allways someone willing to invest the effort in saving 40 yr old plus brittle plastic
Posted By: 4BBodies

Re: Advice/adhesive help needed for a broken Cuda grill - 01/17/10 02:46 PM

I agree with Dayclona on the old plastic, it is brittle and probably not worth the effort. But.......sometimes it's worth it, take my '68 Camaro SS grille........it was fairly new, but was broken and on Ebay for $15. It was broken from the lower corner to just under the running light. Easy fix, I ground troughs and valleys on the backside, and put clear tape on the front, to keep the glue from seeping too far. The glue penetrates all the way, yet doesn't turn into a hard to sand mess on the side you see. Then, I 80 grit with a DA, use regular bondo to smooth, and prime with etching primer. I have several repaired this way, and they haven't cracked in many years.

Attached picture 5740844-(12)GrilleRepair.jpg
Posted By: 4BBodies

Re: Advice/adhesive help needed for a broken Cuda grill - 01/17/10 02:55 PM

The Seller's before pic....I just got it from Ebay. Not great, but you can see it was a long crack.

Attached File
© 2024 Moparts Forums