Moparts

2001 Caravan Tranny question

Posted By: Confusedcuda

2001 Caravan Tranny question - 01/14/10 07:02 PM

Hello all, I have a 2001 Dodge Caravan with 174,000 miles. Yesterday I was driving my kids to the sitter and noticed it would not shift on the hiway from 3rd to 4th. at 50 mph I was hitting about 3800 rpm. I got to my sitters, the van was off for about 20 minutes, hopped in it and it drove fine. Shifted like it always has. Today I hopped in it went about 3 miles, once again it would not shift up on the hiway. I pulled over waited a couple of minutes, shutting van off, then restarted and it drove fine. I wonder if I should try changing the tranny fluid and filter, I checked it and it looked fine(not burned or n othing, maybe dirty) also we have had about 2 feet os snow here and I drove through some deep snow all weekend, is there something that could of came loose or something? Thanks

Re: 2001 Caravan Tranny question - 01/14/10 08:51 PM

Bump
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: 2001 Caravan Tranny question - 01/14/10 11:47 PM

it sounds like its going in what is called limp mode when the computer see a problem it gets stuck in 2nd gear when you shut it off the computer reboots and it will shift until the computer see the problem again it needs to be scaned so you can find the problem.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: 2001 Caravan Tranny question - 01/15/10 12:26 AM

My wifes van did the same thing once and turning it off for a few seconds "cured" it and it hasn't done it yet. I beleive this is also what my aunts mini van did and she had it diagnosed and they said it was the shift solinoid.

She had them replace it and to my knowledge it hasn't done it since.
Posted By: moretoys

Re: 2001 Caravan Tranny question - 01/15/10 01:59 AM

Check engine light is on??Most likely has some stored trans codes.Have it checked.sounds like the o.d. is going out.bad converter or a solenoid pack.Speedo working?/ speed sensors are also common to fail.But,The last one I looked at with that similiar problem,completely let go a week later.stopped moving.fluid was good and clean on that one.Don't guess,have it checked out.At least scan the computer if the lights on.There is no check trans light.It all goes through the engine light.The engine controler will have a p0700 code witch means trans fault.need a scanner capable of doing transmissions.

Re: 2001 Caravan Tranny question - 01/15/10 02:04 AM

No check engine lights no nothing. Just took off one day in it and it all the sudden would'nt shift into 4th. I had to do 45mph to where I was going. After it sat for 10 mins. It ran fine. It has done it one other time and I pulled over and shut the van off and started it back up and it ran fine. It has been very cold here also. It is almost like it needs to warm up real good. I think I am going to start with a filter and fluid change. I have also read of solenoid packs going out to.
Posted By: Magnumguy

Re: 2001 Caravan Tranny question - 01/15/10 03:22 AM

Our 99 doesn't shift into OD till it warms up a little, and I don't think it's supposed to either. I'd be inclined to think a filter/fluid change wouldn't hurt. Sometimes just connections with the wiring and sensors will cause this too.
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: 2001 Caravan Tranny question - 01/16/10 12:52 AM

if u like doing your own work and not afraid to spend a few bucks....it sounds to me like the solenoid pack...cost about a hundred bucks....change that with the filter and atf-4 oil...otherwise a dealer will have to check it for u....mine was the pack....dorman makes the aftermarket one...good luck...it's cold out there..
Posted By: MoparDonny

Re: 2001 Caravan Tranny question - 01/16/10 03:50 AM

I'd pull the pan and make sure you're not working on other problems first. Then if it looks good inside, clean the connections on the solonoid pack and remove the input and output speed sensors and clean them too. You could do the speed sensor and connection cleaning first and see where you get. Solonoid packs are about 240 up here and speed sensors are 40 each.

Don.
© 2024 Moparts Forums