Moparts

valve cover help

Posted By: 72N96RR

valve cover help - 01/12/10 09:57 PM

Can the factory wire loom tabs be removed without ruining the valve cover??? If so what the best way??
Posted By: yellow sixpack

Re: valve cover help - 01/12/10 10:10 PM

I think if you take one off you are going to have hole in your valve cover.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: valve cover help - 01/12/10 10:17 PM

they're just spot welded on, right? grind it off and skim coat it with bondo, spray bomb the color you want.
Posted By: 72N96RR

Re: valve cover help - 01/13/10 01:16 AM

Quote:

they're just spot welded on, right? grind it off and skim coat it with bondo, spray bomb the color you want.

Cant do that as they will be powdercoated to match...No filler...
Well then I need a left side big block cover with no tabs...!!!!

Attached picture 5730850-muchsmaller.jpg
Posted By: 6pkaar

Re: valve cover help - 01/13/10 04:27 AM

Just take it easy.....I took the tabs off using a Dremel and a small grinding wheel. Just kept grinding at the tab until it got thin enough to pull off, then dressed it out with a file, then fine sandpaper. Unless you look under the valve cover where you can see where the spotweld was on the inside you'd never know there were tabs there.
Posted By: 6pkaar

Re: valve cover help - 01/13/10 04:33 AM

Quote:

They do make a "filler" that conducts current for powdercoating. I have no idea where you get it though. If you're careful you won't have any grind marks.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: valve cover help - 01/13/10 04:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

They do make a "filler" that conducts current for powdercoating. I have no idea where you get it though. If you're careful you won't have any grind marks.

Parts no longer have to be conductive to powder coat,...powdercoating designs on GLASS is done now, the part can be repaired with a filler, as long as it can withstand 400 degrees for prolonged period of several hours,...a "primer" agent is sprayed on the peice first, that remains "wet" inorder to be conductive enough to charge it for attraction to the powder being sprayed,......if your powder coater is still "old school", you could lead the valve covers were the repairs might be needed, as body solder has a eutectic of approx 550 degree F, and is conductive

Mike
Posted By: generallee6901

Re: valve cover help - 01/14/10 12:59 AM

Eastwood sells a filler that says you can use it for powder coating.Not sure what the name was though.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: valve cover help - 01/14/10 01:31 AM

Quote:

Eastwood sells a filler that says you can use it for powder coating.Not sure what the name was though.

Daniel, that would be "Labmetal",...was actually invented in Massachusetts by a local engineer, it's distributied by most Car Quest stores now, Eastwood offers it as a Powder Coat filler,....usually comes in standard form or hi temp, the hi temp pn# is 10288Z 24 oz, $55, and you need the solvent for smoothing/thinning pn# 10208ZP 1 pint $15

Mike
© 2024 Moparts Forums