Moparts

School me on slapstick operation

Posted By: BDW

School me on slapstick operation - 01/10/10 04:05 PM

I'm putting my shifter back in after a carpet install and the shifter operation doesn't seem right.

When I put the shifter in reverse in can be pulled back to neutral without pushing the button, this is normal.
Now in neutral in can be pulled back again to drive (without pushing the button), still ok.

My problem is once it's in drive with the above process it can be pushed back in neutral without pushing the button (doesn't seem right)?
Only way it will not go from D to N (unless button is pushed) is if I bring it past D to 2 or 1 then push forward (slapstick).

Is this right? Never noticed this before.
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: School me on slapstick operation - 01/10/10 04:13 PM

thats the way they work

Re: School me on slapstick operation - 01/10/10 05:37 PM

Thx,

After looking at the mechanism closely I guess it is the way it works.

Just seems strange that you could go from D to N without pushing the button. Never noticed that before.
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: School me on slapstick operation - 01/10/10 05:47 PM

Yep, that's how a slapstik works. The only way to lock it in Drive is to engage 1st or 2nd gear first...
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: School me on slapstick operation - 01/10/10 05:50 PM

thats a rachet system,

-from 1 up to D... then from D to N need to press button, because will be logical you are at high speeds on upshifting procedure, making dangerous to jump accidentally to N

-On normal driving operation, being you beging at D, you can shift from D to N without press button, since rachet system hasn't been engaged

-From parking and Reverse button need to be pressed anytime to any new location.

EDITING... FROM REVERSE TO NEUTRAL YOU DON'T NEED TO PRESS BUTTON, but need to when getting back to reverse... dunno if I'm missing something else

Re: School me on slapstick operation - 01/11/10 01:34 AM

Thx again for the info, makes sense.

I guess I never noticed this since I have a reverse manual valve body and always start from low.
Posted By: 375inStroke

Re: School me on slapstick operation - 01/11/10 04:35 PM

Column shift works the same way.
© 2024 Moparts Forums