Moparts

Cost of shortening axle tubes?

Posted By: Lefty

Cost of shortening axle tubes? - 01/09/10 06:32 PM

I'm working on a 47 Dodge P/U with a transplanted 9.25" Chrysler rear axle. The axle is in great shape, the right ratio and has a sure grip. The housing is at least 2" too wide and puts the wheels out to the edges of the wheel wells and looks goofy. What would it cost to have the housing and axles cut, re welded and splined? I suspect the expense will cost more than finding a good used rear axle that is narrower?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Cost of shortening axle tubes? - 01/09/10 08:44 PM

Might go to Mosers site & see what they are getting to do it. Certainly wouldn't be practical to send yours there (portland Indiana) but their (listed) prices might give you an rough idea what a shop in your neck of the woods would charge you.
Posted By: 74fldart

Re: Cost of shortening axle tubes? - 01/09/10 09:00 PM

the shops around here charge 225 to 250.00 to do it . i dont think you will be able to cut off the axle ends and respline . check with dr. diff he can give you an answer.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Cost of shortening axle tubes? - 01/09/10 09:57 PM

Sutton Engineering is pretty reasonable ($100 narrow housing, $95 respline axles)

http://www.suttonrears.com/machine.htm

Dutchman Motorsports is also reasonable ($120 narrow housing, $90 respline axles).

http://www.dutchmanaxles.com/pricesheet.html

Unfortunately, your C-clip axles probably can't be re-splined. Your best bet is a pair of billet housing ends $100 and a pair of custom axles with Green wheel bearings $370.
Posted By: forphorty

Re: Cost of shortening axle tubes? - 01/09/10 10:06 PM

The 9.25 uses c-clip axle retention, but i believe you can weld on 8.75 ends and use 8.75 axles in it. Mopar Action had an article on it years ago but i can't remember the details. Might be worth it if your 9.25 already has a sure grip and the gears you want. Richard Ehrenberg is a member here, you might contact him or Dr Diff.
Posted By: forphorty

Re: Cost of shortening axle tubes? - 01/09/10 10:08 PM

Oops, i'm a slow typer, never mind.
Posted By: megajoltman

Re: Cost of shortening axle tubes? - 01/09/10 11:46 PM

Shops here are charging 200-250
© 2024 Moparts Forums