Moparts

Cuda rear window louvers

Posted By: LTLBEE

Cuda rear window louvers - 01/06/10 03:06 AM

Did all Cuda's with the rear window louvers have vinyl tops, or could you get them with the painted roof?
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Cuda rear window louvers - 01/06/10 03:10 AM

Louvers were available on painted top cars.

-but-

If a vinyl top was ordered with louvers, it had to be black.
Posted By: 44D6PAKCUDA

Re: Cuda rear window louvers - 01/06/10 03:11 AM

I've always been told Cudas with vinyl top only and Challengers either with or without vinyl.Barry,so you are saying Cudas were available with louvers and without a vinyl top?
Posted By: LTLBEE

Re: Cuda rear window louvers - 01/07/10 12:35 AM

OK I want to put the louvers on my Cuda with a painted roof would it have chrome rear window molding or the textured black molding? Does anyone have any pictures of the louvers installed on a Cuda with a painted roof?

Re: Cuda rear window louvers - 01/08/10 01:23 AM

I'd like to see a build sheet or original tag that shows a Cuda with louvers but without a vinyl roof.Anyone.....
Posted By: 6pkaar

Re: Cuda rear window louvers - 01/08/10 03:46 AM

A friend HAD an AAR with louvers, NO vinyl top. It had the textured rear window trim. Unfortunately he sold it a couple years ago..... I don't know if he made a copy of the build sheet for "memories" or not. I'll check with him to see if he did and post a copy if he has it.I remember a red AAR "back in the day" that had louvers without a vinyl top. It was the only one I remember seeing in the early '70's with the louvers. No idea if they were added or original,they were Mopar louvers though.

Re: Cuda rear window louvers - 01/09/10 01:33 AM

Still waiting for those pics of a build sheet or a original fender tag showing louvers without a vinyl roof on a Cuda.....maybe the internet is down up north
Posted By: RCKTMN

Re: Cuda rear window louvers - 01/09/10 05:24 PM

While I'm far from an options guru, I didn't think that they were available without the vinyl roof. I thought it was a matter of covering up the mounting holes, similar to the Superbirds having vinyl roofs to cover their body modifications. FWIW - I have never personally seen a painted roof car with the louvers. I thought the ones I've seen recently in pictures were simply added on by their owners. Again, just my observation and recollection over 24 years of interest.

Paul
Posted By: anlauto

Re: Cuda rear window louvers - 01/10/10 12:05 AM

Quote:

I've always been told Cudas with vinyl top only and Challengers either with or without vinyl.Barry,so you are saying Cudas were available with louvers and without a vinyl top?

This has ALWAYS been my belief too. Until I see a BCS saying different.

HOWEVER

Reading factory literature, it clearly states, as Barry said, V1X is a "must code" when ordering louvers. This can be read two different ways in my opinion...
A vinyl roof is a must
or
If a vinyl is ordered it must be black
Posted By: anlauto

Re: Cuda rear window louvers - 01/10/10 12:07 AM

I wouldn't believe black textured window moldings were ever used on a non-vinyl roof car

Re: Cuda rear window louvers - 01/10/10 12:57 AM

Quote:

Louvers were available on painted top cars.

-but-

If a vinyl top was ordered with louvers, it had to be black.

Note that I did not say "Cuda".

I was hoping that someone would have the 1970 Plymouth louver info, I do not. The louver package was a mid-1970 introduction, so it does not show up in the data books.

Here is what I do have;

Page from the mid-1970 Challenger brochure, no mention of a vinyl top;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/whatsNew/1970/page3.jpg

1971 Cuda / Barracuda;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/imag...rracuda0006.jpg

&

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1971/71_Barracuda_29.jpg

Both of those for '71 say black top is a 'must code'. I am sure the 1970 version is the same, but it would be nice to see it on a factory document if anyone has it?

It would likely be in a brochure like the Challenger version with FM3 & FJ6 since they were all released about the same time. Anyone?

Re: Cuda rear window louvers - 01/10/10 01:01 AM

It could also show up in a PIB, this one covers the new mid-year paint colors, but no mention of the louvers;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/1970-PIB-Index.shtml
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: Cuda rear window louvers - 01/10/10 03:51 AM

Barry in all your paper work have you ever come across a bulliten that states that you could not order a 1970 Cuda with Rear Window Louvers and a Luggage Rack. I have only every seen one car with these two option from the factory.
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: Cuda rear window louvers - 01/10/10 03:51 AM

FYI- I had a hand in parting out a '70 'Cuda 340 4-spd 3.91 gear FJ5 J68 louver pkg car that was coded V1X and it did not have the textured moldings, just the regular stainless. I have a couple of pics around here somewhere, car was from the Boston area and it was at a bodyshop in Worchester,MA. Chet Greenwood also ended up with a bunch of the parts.

Re: Cuda rear window louvers - 01/10/10 04:05 AM

Quote:

Barry in all your paper work have you ever come across a bulliten that states that you could not order a 1970 Cuda with Rear Window Louvers and a Luggage Rack. I have only every seen one car with these two option from the factory.

Quote:

I was hoping that someone would have the 1970 Plymouth louver info, I do not.

Re: Cuda rear window louvers - 11/03/10 03:08 AM

Let's see if we can get this old post off life support and get an answer.By the way,does anyone know what the original paint code or formula was used on the louvers?Smooth,organasol,flat black,etc?
Posted By: PAINT IT BLACK

Re: Cuda rear window louvers - 11/03/10 06:02 AM

The guy that runs/ran the AAR registry & I got in a spat a few yrs. ago over this. All I wanted at the time is what I'd like to see still: proof.

Anecdotes mean nothing. Even a car spotted in 1970 could have had them dealer installed.

I'm not saying one way or the other, because I am not qualified to make such claims. I'm just saying it doesn't appear they were available and it's questionable at best until it is proven.

Challengers were available that way, so it isn't so far-fetched. Someone just lay this to rest without saying 'because I said so'!
© 2024 Moparts Forums