Moparts

5.7 hemi in streetrod, what fuel pump,regulator?

Posted By: dirt

5.7 hemi in streetrod, what fuel pump,regulator? - 01/05/10 07:13 PM

i have a 5.7 hemi and will be running the factory fuelinjection on it in my project. i was wondering what everyone uses for the fuel pump and regulator.
i have the street and performance harness and computer. they said they use a EP381 AC delco pump and 99 up camaro filter with regulator in the filter. but i seen that the autoparts store lists a regulator seperate for the camaro so i wasnt sure if it was in the filter.

just need to get fuel to it now and it should run,
thanks
Posted By: gremlinsteve

Re: 5.7 hemi in streetrod, what fuel pump,regulator? - 01/05/10 07:18 PM

the new motors use 59 psi so whatever you get make sure your going to be able to support that. also the stock system is a dead head style system.

a A1000 and the coresponding regulator would work with that application. we have used several walbro255's also and used a return style regulator.

the walbro would need to be in tank tho.

steve
Posted By: gdemon

Re: 5.7 hemi in streetrod, what fuel pump,regulator? - 01/05/10 09:00 PM

Hi

I used a fuel pump kit from Rock Valley Auto and a fuel filter from a 99 corvette that has a built in regulator.

Attached picture 5713672-resizetank1.jpg

Re: 5.7 hemi in streetrod, what fuel pump,regulator? - 01/05/10 09:00 PM

Attached picture 5713674-resizetank2g.jpg
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: 5.7 hemi in streetrod, what fuel pump,regulator? - 01/05/10 09:09 PM

I've used the walbro GSL-392 on carb->efi conversions before. It's an external in-line pump and is very quiet, can not hear it when vehicle is running. The 392 is a 'high pressure' version of the 255 which according to this website would put out 60gph at 59psi.

http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/html/fpspecs.html

You would need to run a return style regulator with it.

Re: 5.7 hemi in streetrod, what fuel pump,regulator? - 01/05/10 09:10 PM

Fuel Filter sorry for the fuzzy pic. Part number is WIX#33737

Attached picture 5713700-FuelFilterforhemi.JPG
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: 5.7 hemi in streetrod, what fuel pump,regulator? - 01/05/10 09:54 PM

Mallory Comp 110FI fuel pump with a 4305M regulator
works well.

Re: 5.7 hemi in streetrod, what fuel pump,regulator? - 01/06/10 03:55 AM

i have heard that the external pumps burn up fast when used on this type of motor. not sure why ,i was curious if anyone else heard that or knows why.i would rather not have to cut my tank to put a pump inside it if i dont have to but i will if its batter or a lot cheaper to do.
Posted By: ahy

Re: 5.7 hemi in streetrod, what fuel pump,regulator? - 01/06/10 04:16 AM

The external pumps - even good ones - can fail due to cavitation from "sucking" too hard on a stock pickup. An external pump can work with a large pickup but the guideline is don't go below 1/2 tank of gas. Its much better to go ahead and sump the stock tank, cut it for an in tank pump or buy a custom tank with pump up front. I'm considering this now after coming home from a road trip on a flat bed with a failed pump... not my favorite thing to do.

OE systems with an external high pressure pump like early/mid 80's BMW's used a low pressure pump in the tank to "feed" the HP pump. Bottom line, the HP pump does not like to suck.
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: 5.7 hemi in streetrod, what fuel pump,regulator? - 01/06/10 04:13 PM

Probably for the same reason diesels run the frame mounted lift pump to feed the injector pump.

Heat may be another issue in a frame mounted pump. I would think one that uses a bypass regulator would stay cooler, due to the fuel moving through the pump.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: 5.7 hemi in streetrod, what fuel pump,regulator? - 01/06/10 05:38 PM

If external hi pressure pumps were that bad, I don't think walbro would still be making them after all these years. Yes you must use a return style regulator, fuel flow is what cools these pumps. A tank sump is a good idea for any efi system. For the external walbro pump, the best solution I have found is to add an external sump to the bottom of the tank. This ensures full fuel flow during any driving conditions. The cavitation you speak of is from the pump sucking in fuel and air from lack of a sump, I don't think it's from a pump sucking too hard, which is what they were designed to do. The general rule of thumb when running an external efi pump without a sump is to stay above 1/4 tank of gas, however the placement of your fuel picklup will make the difference.

Re: 5.7 hemi in streetrod, what fuel pump,regulator? - 01/07/10 12:08 PM

i just ordered an in tank style pump. now i need a regulator and i will be set!

Re: 5.7 hemi in streetrod, what fuel pump,regulator? - 01/07/10 01:17 PM

The filter I post in the pic above has a built in regulator. Thats all you will need.

Attached picture 5717794-resizeside.jpg

Re: 5.7 hemi in streetrod, what fuel pump,regulator? - 01/07/10 05:05 PM

thanks, i was thinking of using that same typ filter but wasnt sure if it would work.
I was going to get the rock valley pump set up but just ordered the pump itself, i found the same one they use i believe, an EP 381 ac delco, new for $58 including shipping ,from a dealership going out of business. i believe i can make the rest and save some cash.
with that fuel filter i shouldnt need any other regulator correct? also i believe that it dosent need any return line?

by the way the hemi is going to replace the 360 in my 92 daytona and i hope to have it running with the hemi by the chryslers at carlisle show in july.

looking at the picture there is 3 places to hook up the fuel line, can you tell me where each line gets hooked to? there is 2 on one side and one on the other.
thanks
Posted By: wldtm

Re: 5.7 hemi in streetrod, what fuel pump,regulator? - 01/07/10 06:29 PM

i mounted mine on the frame rail. the larger line out of the two on the one side, is inlet, the smaller one is return to tank. the other one is psi up to the fuel rail.

justin

Re: 5.7 hemi in streetrod, what fuel pump,regulator? - 01/07/10 06:33 PM

is it important where you run the return line on the fuel tank? i was thinking it would be easy to just run it to the old pickup tube that i wont be using any more. I am going to run an intank pump.
also does it matter how close to the tank or how close the the motor i mount the filter/regulator?
Posted By: wldtm

Re: 5.7 hemi in streetrod, what fuel pump,regulator? - 01/07/10 09:13 PM

i would try it. mine dumps in at the top of the tank.

to save on money on unecessary line, i would mount the filter/reg close to the tank as possible. mine is very close to the rear axle on the frame rail.

justin

Re: 5.7 hemi in streetrod, what fuel pump,regulator? - 01/07/10 09:22 PM

I have mine about 1' from the tank. The rock valley kit has a port on it for the return line.

Re: 5.7 hemi in streetrod, what fuel pump,regulator? - 05/27/10 05:04 PM

what did you use to connect to the outlet on the regulator , it has a strange looking port?

Re: 5.7 hemi in streetrod, what fuel pump,regulator? - 05/27/10 07:26 PM

There is a store here in Michigan that sales all types of fittings and connectors http://www.fluidsystemsengineering.com/parker-store-michigan.htm

They had one that is about 3" long that snaps into the filter and you can hook a hose to the other end.

Re: 5.7 hemi in streetrod, what fuel pump,regulator? - 04/19/23 03:57 AM

I know its a little late but thanks everyone for the help with the fuel pump set up. It worked out good. I am still running the same Hemi after 13 years. My pump stopped working recently and I couldn't remember what I used. Lucky I found this thread again lol
© 2024 Moparts Forums