Moparts

Melted My Shifter Cable - Need a Longer Cable

Posted By: STLDuster

Melted My Shifter Cable - Need a Longer Cable - 01/02/10 02:26 PM

I started my car the other day and my shifter was stuck. It turns out I melted the stock 5' cable that came with my Turbo Action Shifter Cable.

So I am going to rout the new one differently (further away from the exhaust).

I am planning on ordering the 8' cable from Turbo Action. But wanted to know if there were any other cables out there I could use.

I had read where some one had one made that put the stock cable to shame, but cant for the life of me cant remember where that was.

Anyone ever replaced a Turbo Action Cheetah Shifter cable?
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Melted My Shifter Cable - Need a Longer Cable - 01/02/10 02:29 PM

Are you SURE that it was the heat that did-it-in? .... there are many instances that a improperly electrically grounded engine is the problem.
Posted By: STLDuster

Re: Melted My Shifter Cable - Need a Longer Cable - 01/02/10 03:16 PM

Yeah, I had installed the shifter before I installed the exhaust. The shifter cable was really close to my X pipe. After I moved the car around some the shifter cable came in contact with the exhasust pipe and I didn't know it until it was too late.

I had read about the shifter cable being used as a ground and melting. So I grounded the engine as best I could. I used a couple of 2-gauge ground cables on both sides of the front of the block, and the original ground cable on the fire wall.

I have plans of adding one to the transmission but have not figured out how I want to do it.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Melted My Shifter Cable - Need a Longer Cable - 01/02/10 03:37 PM

A longer cable may not be what you want. Having all that excess length to tie back is a potential problem. In my experience with B&M shifters and headers I go with the shortest cable that works- A simple loop from the shifter to the tranny. Tie it back and wrap any potential heat absorption areas with header wrap.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Melted My Shifter Cable - Need a Longer Cable - 01/02/10 03:57 PM

Sometimes a shorter cable will route better than a longer one. In my BB scamp a 4' cable lasted about two weeks where a 3' lasted for a year. It routed closer to the block and out of the way of the exhaust.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Melted My Shifter Cable - Need a Longer Cable - 01/02/10 03:58 PM

I melted a B&M cable once by too many powerbrake burnouts in too short a time. Replaced it with the heavy duty cable (the red one), and wrapped it with heat wrap where it crossed over the exhaust (no choice). Also secured it to the floor pan in the same location so as to get an inch or so of clearance to the exhaust.
Never melted again.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Melted My Shifter Cable - Need a Longer Cable - 01/02/10 05:55 PM

I had the same issue With my B&M and tried an 8' cable as well. It didn't even make it one pass before it melted. I went W/ a 4' cable and haven't had a problem since.
Posted By: earlybee

Re: Melted My Shifter Cable - Need a Longer Cable - 01/02/10 06:25 PM

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/heat_shield_sleeve.php In a pinch i,ve used aluminum foil wrapped loose and wire tied at the hot spot.
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: Melted My Shifter Cable - Need a Longer Cable - 01/03/10 12:46 AM

the longer cable worked for me as long as u route it away..mine came out of the shifter ran along the left fender towards the front and wrapped around the gear box,headers and ran along the engine oil pan...worked out fine..
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Melted My Shifter Cable - Need a Longer Cable - 01/03/10 03:49 AM

Maybe a different routing?? Mine goes from the shifter thru the firewall,across the trans bell housing and down to the lever.
Posted By: RussW

Re: Melted My Shifter Cable - Need a Longer Cable - 01/03/10 04:52 AM

I used this

http://www.taylorvertex.com/Products/index.cgi/heatProtection2
© 2024 Moparts Forums