Moparts

Leaking Rear Main Seal....Real Problem or Nuisance ??

Posted By: Real-Fury

Leaking Rear Main Seal....Real Problem or Nuisance ?? - 01/01/10 08:19 PM

Just wondered if a rear main seal that drips on a 451 stroker is a real problem that will lead to bigger problems or if it is merely a nuisance you have to put up with? Is the only fix to pull the engine and change out the rear seal?

Butch
Posted By: topside

Re: Leaking Rear Main Seal....Real Problem or Nuisance ?? - 01/02/10 12:01 AM

On a stick car, oil can get into the clutch & disc if the seal's leaking enough. On an automatic car it's no big deal. My Street Hemi's had a weeping rear main seal for years, but it hasn't bothered the clutch. It doesn't get driven a lot, so I just wipe it down from time to time so it doesn't leak on the floor or leave a film under the car. Most of my BB motors have weeped a little from their rear main seals.

Re: Leaking Rear Main Seal....Real Problem or Nuisance ?? - 01/02/10 01:17 AM

Thanks Topside,

This is a 727 car so I guess it will just be a nuisance. I just wanted to make sure it couldn't lead to a more serious problem.

Butch
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Leaking Rear Main Seal....Real Problem or Nuisance ?? - 01/02/10 02:33 AM

Yeah nothing but an annoyance unless she's really gushing oil.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Leaking Rear Main Seal....Real Problem or Nuisance ?? - 01/02/10 03:20 AM

Why not just drop the pan and replace the seal?
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: Leaking Rear Main Seal....Real Problem or Nuisance ?? - 01/02/10 03:32 AM

Don't think of it as a "Nuisance", think of it as a "Redneck undercoating system".

Re: Leaking Rear Main Seal....Real Problem or Nuisance ?? - 01/02/10 04:08 AM

Can you drop the pan without pulling the engine? Didn't think it was possible without pulling the engine which I would not want to do.

Butch
Posted By: 74fldart

Re: Leaking Rear Main Seal....Real Problem or Nuisance ?? - 01/02/10 04:36 PM

the pan can be dropped, you need to remove the center link to make it easier and the front bolts on the pan are a little rough to get to but it can be done.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Leaking Rear Main Seal....Real Problem or Nuisance ?? - 01/02/10 04:43 PM

most rear main leaks stay the same for a period of time but you'll eventually get tired of constantly adding oil & messing up yours (and other peoples') driveways. loosen/remove enough parts so you can jack up/raise the eng several inches so you can R&R the pan/seal.
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: Leaking Rear Main Seal....Real Problem or Nuisance - 01/02/10 08:27 PM

Some of that oil is going in your starter. Yeah, if this isn't a tube chassis race car it'll be some work but it can be done and your starter will thank you.
© 2024 Moparts Forums