Moparts

Best set of headers for the money?

Posted By: plumcrazycuda

Best set of headers for the money? - 12/31/09 11:59 PM

I don't want to spend over $450.00. What headers would you go with?
Posted By: forphorty

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/01/10 12:05 AM

sb or bb? for sb, you can get Dougs for about 450 i think. If you get cheaper Hookers or Hedmans, some of the tubes pass under the center link. Kind of a drag(sorry ). For bb, i like Hooker Comp for B and E body.

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/01/10 12:08 AM

sorry, for a small block in a E body
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/01/10 12:14 AM

Painted Dougs, hands down in that price range.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/01/10 12:34 AM

Cheapie hedmans or summits fit in my car with a minimum of . I was impressed considering I'm running a BB in an original SB car, which is tighter on the passenger side on the 73+ B bodies. I personally couldn't financially justify spending 450 on headers.

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/01/10 12:52 AM

Are the ceramic coaded worth the $150 more? How do they fit? Will I have to ding them at all to get them to fit?
Posted By: ledft79

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/01/10 02:02 AM

I like your drive-way

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/01/10 03:41 AM

Quote:

I like your drive-way

You would not like it now. Cover in snow and ice.
Posted By: ledft79

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/01/10 03:48 AM

As long as the mopar shines through, it would still look good. 2' of snow in my yard has my e-body hybernateing.
Posted By: earlybee

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/01/10 04:04 AM

Quote:

nuff said.
Posted By: DART67GT

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/01/10 04:20 AM

If you can afford the ceramic coating it is well worth it, especially if you live in an area where there is a lot of fog/rain or salty ocean air. My headers rusted to pieces on the Oregon coast with all of the above mentioned conditions. Since they are a pain to install, it's easier to buy good ones once and be done.
Posted By: forphorty

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/01/10 05:07 PM

Quote:

Are the ceramic coaded worth the $150 more? How do they fit? Will I have to ding them at all to get them to fit?

I can almost guarantee you will have to ding Hedmans.

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/01/10 08:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I can almost guarantee you will have to ding Hedmans.

What about Hooker headers? Will I have to ding dougs? Why are they worth the money,more HP and better fit or are they just worth more because?
Posted By: 5wndwcpe

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/01/10 08:26 PM

Quote:

Ok, for the sake of clarity, are we talking Doug Thorley or Headers by Doug ?
Posted By: gomangoRTSE

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/01/10 10:13 PM

I would imagine they are talking about Doug Thorleys.... Ive always heard they fit Mopars rather well.
Posted By: meepmeep70

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/01/10 11:04 PM

my experiance,was DOUGS'S ,i got a set of cermic coated for my bb 70 runner(i know diffrent then what your looking for,but perhaps they run consistantly)500.00 from summit shipped,fit was awesome,never scratched the firewall or dinged headers,and reaching plugs with out burned boots=priceless

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/01/10 11:34 PM

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DOU-D453-R/
Posted By: 68bb

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/02/10 01:20 AM

Summit shows both name brands Dougs headers and Doug Thorely headers.Not all the same applications either. What is the difference in the names?

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/02/10 01:41 AM

Doug Thorley is the brand his wife got in the divorce.

Doug's are the brand he started and sold to Petronix IIRC.

I buy Doug's...
Posted By: Mr340

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/02/10 02:30 AM

I like the Hooker Super Comps, 1 3/4" primaries and 3" collectors.
Posted By: MattLipscomb

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/02/10 04:42 AM

Will I have to ding dougs?

can somebody tell me how that's done? Sorry I'm
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/02/10 06:06 AM

So sick of header leaks and blown collector gaskets. The 2 definates I look for when shopping for header. At a minimum a 3/8" thick exhaust flange and a fixed collector ring.
Posted By: Challenger_Nut

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/02/10 01:53 PM

Here is a link to a thread in which I was looking for answers also. I ended up with the dougs. The reason I purchsed them was the fact that they are an over the drag link design (shouldn't scrap), have 3/8 flanges, fit W/O dinging and are ceramic coated. In other words are of equal quality and have the same features to the more expensive TTI and Hooker Super Comps but quite a bit cheaper. I personaly spent the money for the ceramic. I just like the idea that the headers will look good for many years to come and won't deteriorate as quickly. Also the thermal barrier will keep engine compartmet temp down.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5627430&an=0&page=3

Here is the best deal I was able to find on the Dougs. That price is shipped. Sam was super nice to deal with.
http://www.centuryperformance.com/dou-d453-pr-DOU-D453.html

Posted By: meepmeep70

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/02/10 09:34 PM

DOUG'S NOT doug thorley, very thick flanges,i didn't have to ding and didn;t scratch paint on install,though you will find you will want a mini starter (440source)starter will stay away from the heat of the headers=last longer headers came with special bolts and intruc.to have no leaks.you will not be disappointed,and about 400 cheaper then tti
Posted By: MonGoo$e

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/03/10 02:04 AM

i had some blackjack headers that are styled just like Hedman and Hooker, fit perfectly in my 74 Challenger with a 360.

I have some Hedmans for my Duster that I'm hoping will be the same way.
Posted By: DennisH

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/03/10 02:07 AM

If you're on here you can pi$$ away as much as some of the rest of us. Get the TTI's and be done with it. Ceramic. Dig deep. Made here.
Posted By: U_Code_Cuda

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/03/10 02:32 AM

Just got a set of Hooker Comp for $190 from Jet Hot Coating.... They were running an end of year blow out. They have there sterling coating inside and out that sells for over $450. The sale may still be on but, they back there products and give a free recoat if they peel.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/03/10 06:11 AM

Happy with my TTI's. If I ever need another set of headers that's who I'll buy them from.
Posted By: Wedgeman

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/03/10 03:31 PM

Quote:

Here is a link to a thread in which I was looking for answers also. I ended up with the dougs. The reason I purchsed them was the fact that they are an over the drag link design (shouldn't scrap), have 3/8 flanges, fit W/O dinging and are ceramic coated. In other words are of equal quality and have the same features to the more expensive TTI and Hooker Super Comps but quite a bit cheaper. I personaly spent the money for the ceramic. I just like the idea that the headers will look good for many years to come and won't deteriorate as quickly. Also the thermal barrier will keep engine compartmet temp down.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5627430&an=0&page=3

After all considerations, I ordered the Doug's last week... the 453 for my A-Body....sure can't wait to see this for myself...!

NOT cheap.....but I won't be scraping the pavement anymore...

Posted By: 383man

Re: Best set of headers for the money? - 01/03/10 09:18 PM

I took this pic this summer of the 1-3/4 Hedman Elite headers which have been on my 63 for more then 3 years. Never had any leaks and holding up good so far. Not sure on cost as my buddy gave them to me but I believe they run around $300. Ron

© 2024 Moparts Forums