Moparts

Cooling Problems - Plugged Radiator or ???????

Posted By: 69CopperCoronet

Cooling Problems - Plugged Radiator or ??????? - 12/27/09 11:36 PM

I'm having some massive cooling system issues. Within 5-10 minutes of starting up my temp guage is pegged to the right. The radiator does not appear to be moving coolant through it. I put a brand new thermostat in (yes, it's in the right way). The bypass hose on the WP is rock hard. Also, the heater gets really hot but having the heater on full blast does nothing to help cool the engine.

What kind fo a mess do I have on my hands here?
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Cooling Problems - Plugged Radiator or ??????? - 12/27/09 11:37 PM

What condition is the radiator and water pump in ?
Posted By: T-Man

Re: Cooling Problems - Plugged Radiator or ??????? - 12/27/09 11:39 PM

Get a haldheld temperature gun. Then you will stop guessing and find out the problem very quickly.

gary

Re: Cooling Problems - Plugged Radiator or ??????? - 12/27/09 11:41 PM

Quote:

Get a haldheld temperature gun. Then you will stop guessing and find out the problem very quickly.

gary

Real good idea too...mine has come in a handy a bunch of times. You can check for hot or cold spots on the radiator, thermostat housing temp, etc,etc.
Posted By: 69CopperCoronet

Re: Cooling Problems - Plugged Radiator or ??????? - 12/27/09 11:47 PM

Water pump is about a year old. Radiator is original.

It's a 318 motor.

Re: Cooling Problems - Plugged Radiator or ??????? - 12/27/09 11:54 PM

Assuming the gauge is correct (which a temp gun would help you determine) and the radiator has never been cleaned out, that may be an issue. You might let the car start to warm up and feel all over the radiator core for cool spots...help see if it has some blocked areas to start with at least. But getting it rodded out if it's a 30-40 year old unit that has never been cleaned might be worth while.

If you have no flow though, with the radiator cleaned out...and you know the thermostat is opening a defective water pump could be another thing.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Cooling Problems - Plugged Radiator or ??????? - 12/27/09 11:55 PM

when cold take the cap off & start it & see what happens. Got a candy thermometer handy?
© 2024 Moparts Forums