Moparts

66 valiant header question

Posted By: Mr.Mopar

66 valiant header question - 12/25/09 09:44 PM

I am in the process of putting a 318 in my 66 Valiant, i just bought the Dougs headers and it mentions about moving the proportioning to a different spot??? I was wondering if anybody else has a 64-66 Abody with dougs headers.. did you have to move it or is it just real close?? and do the trans lines have to be modified a little??

hopeing to find the answer before i drop the engine in soon. Thanks, Kevin
Posted By: belv2vert66

Re: 66 valiant header question - 12/25/09 10:15 PM

Wouldn't a 66 have a single res master cylinder. If I remember right it just goes down to a brass fitting. At any rate, I have Spitfires on my early A. Below is how I plumbed my brakes but I converted to dual master, used an adjustable prop valve and a roll control.....I ran everything very close to the inner fender and you can see then where I went around the frame rail for the rear brake line. The right side front brake line follows the fire wall.....hope this helps a little. Let me know how your install of the Dougs go..... I have been considering them.....

Re: 66 valiant header question - 12/25/09 10:31 PM

correct, mine did have just a single master cylinder with a brass "distribution block?" and i converted to a dual master cylinder with a proportion valve at the same spot the brass fitting was.. the thing is i replaced all the lines to that new block about 2 years ago and didnt want to have to move it if possible...

And i will definately post how the headers fit when i install the engine, i have heard alot of good about them (except for the price! )
Posted By: topside

Re: 66 valiant header question - 12/26/09 03:01 AM

Belv, that's some nice workmanship on that Valiant! More pics!

New lines or not, boiling the brake fluid is a really bad idea...if you have some distance between the pipes and brake lines, you MIGHT get away with using some "fire sleeve" over the lines. And if the pipes some anywhere near the master cylinder, you'd be wise to get a heat shield.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: 66 valiant header question - 12/26/09 01:12 PM

I will bet you have to move the trans lines for sure. I had to when I put headers in my '66 and it is a Slant car.
Posted By: belv2vert66

Re: 66 valiant header question - 12/26/09 02:17 PM

Topside...thanks. There is a post in the member projects section with quite a few pics. Might have to search cause I haven't updated it for awhile/

I didn't have to do anything to my trans lines, the spit fires dump right above the torsion bars. Actually, thinking about it, very similar to the manifolds. I am not sure if my exhaust guy was a hack or what. I need to have another shop look at it but getting around the bars are why I am thinking about either going to Dougs or TTI. They rattle against the frame rails. I have the motor tied down with a schumacher torque strap also.
Posted By: Valiant_Showoff

Re: 66 valiant header question - 12/28/09 10:51 PM

I didn't have any trouble with Doug's on my Valiant with the double master cylinder.

Attached picture 5694517-headerinstall2.JPG

Re: 66 valiant header question - 12/28/09 11:16 PM

Well, i installed the engine on sunday, i put the headers in the engine bay before the engine. I have to say most of the clearences look pretty good , except the #8 pipe is really close to the frame and touching the gas line so that will have to be moved. the starter bolts were unbelieveably hard to get to. and the right angle oil filter adapter was super hard to get tight but it has good clearence from the headers

Attached picture 5694559-100_1172.jpg

Re: 66 valiant header question - 12/28/09 11:56 PM

a pic of the engine in the car

Attached picture 5694640-100_1184.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums