Moparts

11.75" rotors which cars ?

Posted By: RTshaker

11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/23/09 12:53 PM

Which cars had the 11.75" rotors ?Looking to convert from drum to disc. Wondering what to tell the parts guy to order . 71 challenger 11 " drums.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/23/09 12:55 PM

1979 Dodge st. Regis , or a Cordoba , ...
Posted By: cudazappa

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/23/09 01:43 PM

The 11.75" rotor was used on 75-81 B and R bodies (St. Regis, Magnum, Charger, early Cordoba).

You need 73+ disc spindles to use these, or 70-72 B/E disc spindles with Dr. Diff's spacer kit.

NO FJMs came from the factory with these brakes.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/23/09 03:20 PM

I suggest you find the proper caliper brackets first. Everything else is available new. Without the brackets you're dead in the water.

Canadian Tire can get you the rotors - ask for '76 Cordoba - p/n 013-4311-6 at $61.83 each (on sale). Name brand, made in USA. I don't think there's a better deal out there. Likewise with the bearings and seals.

I need a set of brackets too so if you come across a couple sets, let me know. I'm leaning towards the "slider" style.

Have you read this article?
http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/23/09 03:49 PM

Thanks ALL
Posted By: patrick

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/23/09 03:52 PM

Quote:

1979 Dodge st. Regis , or a Cordoba , any of the Dippy/Grand Fury cop cars ...

nope, ALL M bodies had the smaller 10.875" rotor....

'76 up B's, all R's used the bigger rotor.

I agree too, get the caliper adapters before ordering rotors. the rotors & caliper adapers are the only difference between an 11.75" setup and the easier to find (on all F/M/J's) 10.875" rotors.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/23/09 04:02 PM

I used to find R body cars in the wrecking yard on a fairly regular basis but not anymore. At one point I had a very large box full of those 11.75 adapters but now they are all gone. I wish someone would reproduce them. Seems like a sure money maker. For some reason the aftermarket only reproduces the weeny adapter and not the big one.

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/23/09 04:05 PM

Another question.. when I priced the caliphers for the St regis I was asked if the mount was front or rear{of spindle } ?? Two mounting locations.. therefore spindles are different ?? I have yet to find donor vechile.

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/23/09 04:23 PM

Quote:

I suggest you find the proper caliper brackets first. Everything else is available new. Without the brackets you're dead in the water.

Canadian Tire can get you the rotors - ask for '76 Cordoba - p/n 013-4311-6 at $61.83 each (on sale). Name brand, made in USA. I don't think there's a better deal out there. Likewise with the bearings and seals.

I need a set of brackets too so if you come across a couple sets, let me know. I'm leaning towards the "slider" style.

Have you read this article?

don't hold your breath on name brand made in usa anymore , the last few sets of wagner rotors i paid extra for were made in china

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/23/09 04:24 PM

Quote:

Another question.. when I priced the caliphers for the St regis I was asked if the mount was front or rear{of spindle } ?? Two mounting locations.. therefore spindles are different ?? I have yet to find donor vechile.

no the spindles are not different , the calipers are different , you can swap the spindles to either side . you want calipers that are mouted with the bleed screws at the TOP of the caliper

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/23/09 04:34 PM

Man I`m thick headed today ..then there are two types of mounting brackets if the spindles are the same?? Are certain bodies mounted front or rear?
Posted By: RokketRide

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/23/09 04:58 PM

The spindles are mirror image of each other and can be mounted on either side of the car if you want the calipers to be in front or rear (depending on hose routing and sway bar clearance).

The caliper brackets are identical to each other (for each given size) not lefts and rights, they can go on either side of the car, front or rear hung.

Depending on if you go front or rear hung, the calipers will need to switch sides so that the bleed screw is up.
Posted By: Reggie

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/23/09 04:58 PM

AFAIK, the only two types of brackets are the slider type or pin type with each type using its own type of caliper. The slider type caliper is the same for tall or short caliper adapters. I'm not sure about the pin type calipers but maybe the bean counters made those the same as well. You will have to pay attention to the caliper adapter bolts. Member Hemi71x posted the attached info on the differences. I had to shrink the screen capture down a bit, so click on the attachment link to see it.

Attached picture 5685216-CaliperAdapterBolts_Hemi71x.jpg
Posted By: Pentastar440

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/23/09 05:00 PM

Take a trip to the junk yard and look for Cordoba type cars or Diplomat type cars. Cordobas have the larger rotors, but either will work on your Challenger. What you are looking for is everything between the upper and lower ball joints. This will give you all the brackets,rotors,calipers,brake hoses etc. Then have the rotors turned and go to the parts house and get all of the new parts (calipers,hoses,pads) for the application that you have.

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/23/09 05:34 PM

Two FINAL questions. Can I use the proportioning valve off of the doner car or do I need adjustable ??Is the master cylinder rod the same for disc vs drum ? I have 11 rear drums. Thanks again

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/23/09 06:04 PM

Quote:

don't hold your breath on name brand made in usa anymore , the last few sets of wagner rotors i paid extra for were made in china

Up here in God's country were can still get good parts. The one's I bought a month ago have "made in USA" cast right into them.
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/23/09 10:33 PM

Quote:

Man I`m thick headed today ..then there are two types of mounting brackets if the spindles are the same?? Are certain bodies mounted front or rear?

RTshaker
I found a pair of the "taller" pin type caliper mount brackets earlier this week during a wrecking yard journey.
PM me if you might be interested in them.
Jim V.

Attached picture 5685769-SpindlesMountsShields010(Small).jpg
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/23/09 10:50 PM

I think I have a pair of 11.75 slider brackets... PM me if interested.
Posted By: Unfair Advantage

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/24/09 01:28 AM

Which cars /years had which type of adapter/ calipers?? Is one type preferred over the other ??

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/24/09 02:45 AM

It seems the pin type are preferred but you can't buy "new" pins so you're dinked if the pins are rotten or worn.
Posted By: unclemike

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/24/09 03:07 AM

If you want to go new Jegs sells the kit with the 10.85 rotors for less than $500 new that includes the proper spindle. The ultimate good fit cheap way is the spindles and caliper adapters off a later 1973 Duster or Dart then buy the rotors, bearings and calipers new. The second best cheap way is any Aspen, Volare', Diplomat Grand Fury Spindles and adapters.
Note that the later spindle for the iso mount K-member used on Diplomat, Aspen, Volare', Grand Fury, Caravelle, St Regis, B-body Cordoba, Sebring, and Dodge is slightly taller.
As has been noted the spindles and the adapters can be mounted on either side depending on how you want the calipers, leading or trailing.
The FJM-body Diplomat, Grand Fury and the later Cordoba never came with the bigger rotors. The heavy duty cop and taxi brake option for those cars was an 11 inch rear drum.
Something to consider how the car will be driven and what kind of tire you can fit under it.
For my Diplomat I made the swap to the bigger rotors because I beat the crap out of it (drove it like a rental car) and had the optional 225/70 15" tires on it. If you are doing a resto-mod the 10.85 rotors will give you decent braking and good service.
Once you get the 10.85 set up all you will need is the adapters and rotors to upgrade to the bigger set up.

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/24/09 03:10 AM

Quote:

It seems the pin type are preferred but you can't buy "new" pins so you're dinked if the pins are rotten or worn.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=904748
You mean these pins?
Don't believe everything that magazine writer that sells parts on Fleabay tells you.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/24/09 03:20 AM

Rebuilt calipers also come with new pins.
Posted By: meepmeep70

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/24/09 03:28 AM

bought new pins at "then and now auto" in stock
Posted By: cudagregs

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/24/09 03:54 AM

I just picked my calipers up from Autozone today for my 70 cuda 11.75 caliper swap. I bought fatman fabrications 2" drop spindles. I found my set of pin style calipers at pull a part from a 77 Fury. You have to know the measurements on the pin hole distances because the 10.75 rotors look the same but are different. I would send you a link on the swap but i'm out of town now and it's on my home computer. Do a google search on cuda 11.75 cordoba brake swap. You should find the link i used for parts and directions on how to do it. I test fitted my parts today and everything looks great. Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/24/09 03:55 AM

I buy Cardone rebuilt calipers exclusively from Rockauto, they come complete with all the slider hardware. The only problem I ever had was once the box had the wrong side caliper, they sent me the proper caliper on their dime, no questions asked.
If I'm not going with factory part I but Cardone remanned or Cardone Select new stuff.
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/24/09 03:58 AM

Quote:

I just picked my calipers up from Autozone today for my 70 cuda 11.75 caliper swap. I bought fatman fabrications 2" drop spindles. I found my set of pin style calipers at pull a part from a 77 Fury. You have to know the measurements on the pin hole distances because the 10.75 rotors look the same but are different. I would send you a link on the swap but i'm out of town now and it's on my home computer. Do a google search on cuda 11.75 cordoba brake swap. You should find the link i used for parts and directions on how to do it. I test fitted my parts today and everything looks great. Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/24/09 03:59 AM

http://www.moparaction.com/tech/archive/disc-main.html

This is the link i was talking about. Click on the parts list and scroll down. It will list all the individual parts.

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/24/09 04:00 AM

Quote:

What is the quality and country of manufacture of the Fatman spindles? Also how $$$.

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/24/09 04:28 AM

The Fatman spindles are made in the USA and the quality and fitment are great. They are pricey i paid 550 for mine. I already have mine installed. I had to use the cordoba calipers because the brake hose will not clear the other type of calipers that the link posted here said to use. The caliper on the Fatmans mounts at the 9 o'clock position instead of the 10 o'clock on mopar spindles....
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/24/09 04:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What is the quality and country of manufacture of the Fatman spindles? Also how $$$.

If the price is close the forged Magnum Force spindles are a much more stouter well built piece.

That said, I have never here of someone bending or breaking a Fatman. I do know of someone with an aftermarket custom brake setup that would rub the fatman but not a stock spindle.
Posted By: 72440dart

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/24/09 04:48 AM

I got two sets of pin type, one set on my dart and a spare set. I bought new pins when i did my dart. I think they were wagner.

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/24/09 05:05 AM

I'm partial to the slider set up because that's what I found first.
Posted By: CompSyn

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/24/09 11:05 AM

I found the pin type adapters on a 77 Grand Fury. Big 11.75 cop car discs on a 318 car...

Think I paid all of $14 for the pair at the local Pull & Save.

Man! I love junk yards!!!

BTW, You can apparently get trick cross drilled and slotted rotors for any of the older Mopar application at Brake Performance.com - link

That would certainly put a cool new spin on the old FMJ disc swap.
Posted By: Coke

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/24/09 11:02 PM

I have 11.75 Cordoba discs with 90īs Dodge Viper Calipers on my 69īCharger .
The spindles are from a 73 a-body with drum brakes.
Posted By: MadMatt

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/24/09 11:12 PM

Quote:

I have 11.75 Cordoba discs with 90īs Dodge Viper Calipers on my 69īCharger .
The spindles are from a 73 a-body with drum brakes.

Are you happy with that setup? I'm gathering parts for the swap. I have the spindles and finally tracked down a good set of Viper calipers today at a reasonable price. What size wheels are you running? I'm hoping and praying it will fit inside my 15" Halibrand 5-spokes.
Posted By: @#$%&*!

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/25/09 04:21 AM

Quote:

I found the pin type adapters on a 77 Grand Fury. Big 11.75 cop car discs on a 318 car...

Isn't the 77 Gran Fury a C-body?
Posted By: nd65

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/25/09 03:11 PM

My pin calipers came with new pins. I think I ordered them for a 73 Challenger.
Posted By: cudazappa

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/25/09 06:36 PM

Quote:

I used to find R body cars in the wrecking yard on a fairly regular basis but not anymore. At one point I had a very large box full of those 11.75 adapters but now they are all gone. I wish someone would reproduce them. Seems like a sure money maker. For some reason the aftermarket only reproduces the weeny adapter and not the big one.

would people want the sliders or the pin type? I've got a set of sliders currently holding a box down from floating, I can do some measurements and some CAD work. I'd have to find a set of pin type...

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/25/09 07:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

fury was the B, gran fury the C for '77 IIRC. he probably got them from a fury. IIRC C body rotors are the same as 1/2 ton trucks, and are 1.25" thick

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/25/09 07:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

would people want the sliders or the pin type? I've got a set of sliders currently holding a box down from floating, I can do some measurements and some CAD work. I'd have to find a set of pin type...

I personally like the sliders. easier to find calipers, and I think they're a little more rigid....
Posted By: broncobra

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/25/09 07:49 PM

Wow, I posted a big answer and guess I didn't hit the right button. Anyway, If you buy replacement rotors from NAPA for the 1981 Cordoba, be aware that they sell a Blue and a Gold standard. One's cheap, the other higher. It doesn't matter on the rotors, you can still get either Chinese junk or Canadian goodness. It all boils down to what the warehouse has on hand for your area. My NAPA dealer (that I've known for years) told me he can't special order one or the other and kinda got in a huff when I kept ordering and sending back the China junk. They are that bad. Set them side by side and you can see and feel the difference. Specify the Gold and don't take the China crap for anything.I sent many back until I had a usable set for immediate bolt on, and an extra set for future brake replacement repair.
Posted By: Husker1

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/25/09 08:07 PM

i am getting ready to do this swap and was wondering if all of the 11.75 rotors are the same? I know if you read the "disc-0-tech" article it says to get the HD police rotors. As far as i can tell there is only one style of 11.75 rotor. i was going to purchase the (NB 4885579) premium part from NAPA, the picture shows the extra ribbing on the inner bearing race like the article states for the police rotor. Is this the right rotor? i looked it up under '76 cordoba, which is what i got my caliper adapters off of. if this is the right one i guess keep ordering them until i get two made in usa.

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/25/09 09:39 PM

I'm sorry, it's to cold to go out in the garage and check right now what the NAPA # are, but my records show for a 1979 Cordoba HD 11.75" unicast 1" thick rotor, Mopar PN 4126545, Bendix PN 141145 and CarQuest PN PN 5311 - are the good ones ONLY if you get the Canada ones. The box will be marked Made In Canada. 1979 up R body Police or 1976 to 1978 B-Body Police is what I have written in my logs from studying it all awhile ago. The parts dude should be able to cross reference those numbers and affirm if they are cop rotors for sure. I don't know what the Royal Canadian Mounties used for sure! lol.

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/26/09 12:18 PM

Are you happy with that setup? I'm gathering parts for the swap. I have the spindles and finally tracked down a good set of Viper calipers today at a reasonable price. What size wheels are you running? I'm hoping and praying it will fit inside my 15" Halibrand 5-spokes.

Well, i have not driven the car very much ,it passed the Brake test in the technical inspection,but i belive that they should to brake more.
I have manual brakes now but they definetively need power boost,so i will mount a Hidro Boost system when i finish the engine.
The company that builds the adapters for the Viper Calipers suggests manual brakes but i desagree .
I do not recall how much fluid pressure arrives to the caliper,but i,m pretty sure that they need more.

About the wheels they are 15" Weld Pro Star.
The caliper rubbed a little on the spokes so i put a couple of washers between the calipers and the bolts just for keeping the caliper a bit further from the wheel .Thats how i solved the trouble.

I have a list with all the parts required in some place(That i should to looking for).
If you need help, send to me a PM.

Regards
Posted By: Unfair Advantage

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/26/09 01:11 PM

Even though the rotors are thicker on the C bodies and trucks are the caliper adapters the same as the b bodies ??

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/26/09 02:59 PM

Quote:

Even though the rotors are thicker on the C bodies and trucks are the caliper adapters the same as the b bodies ??

No, the C-body adapters are different. They will not meet the dimensional specs outlined in the www.moparaction.com article.

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/26/09 03:08 PM

Quote:

Well, i have not driven the car very much ,it passed the Brake test in the technical inspection,but i belive that they should to brake more.
I have manual brakes now but they definetively need power boost,so i will mount a Hidro Boost system when i finish the engine.
The company that builds the adapters for the Viper Calipers suggests manual brakes but i desagree .
I do not recall how much fluid pressure arrives to the caliper,but i,m pretty sure that they need more.

A power booster just assists with pedal pressure. It does not increase line pressure to the caliper.

MadMatt ran into a similar situation and he changed the master cylinder diameter.

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/26/09 03:26 PM

Like any other post on here there is a lot of negativity around "China" product. I was lucky enough to get a set of north american made units when I bought mine. HOWEVER, for the past 6 years I've been putting China rotors on my daily drivers - 4 different vehicles - and have had ZERO problems with any of them. Generally they are about half the price of non-China rotors. Personally I would not have an issue with using China rotors in this application either except that I got these on sale so they were the same price as China rotors.

FWIW, I met with an importer a few years back who was bringing rotors in by the container load. He said all his rotors were manufactured to the same metalurgic and finish standards as the originals. During a three week period we had numerous discussions about China manufacturing processes and capabilities. It all boils down to what the buyer specifies. They can make just as good a product as anyone else in the world, it all depends on whether someone wants to bring in good quality for less money or just maximize their profits with junk.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/26/09 05:36 PM

Your master cylinder bore is too big.

I recommend a 15/16" bore master cylinder for Viper calipers. This will give you adequate line pressure.

You should also change to 7/8" wheel cylinders if you are running rear drum brakes.
Posted By: BJohnson

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/26/09 06:15 PM

Large slider adapters.

Attached picture 5690604-LargeRotorAdapters1.JPG
Posted By: BDW

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/26/09 06:52 PM

Quote:

i am getting ready to do this swap and was wondering if all of the 11.75 rotors are the same? I know if you read the "disc-0-tech" article it says to get the HD police rotors. As far as i can tell there is only one style of 11.75 rotor. i was going to purchase the (NB 4885579) premium part from NAPA, the picture shows the extra ribbing on the inner bearing race like the article states for the police rotor. Is this the right rotor? i looked it up under '76 cordoba, which is what i got my caliper adapters off of. if this is the right one i guess keep ordering them until i get two made in usa.

Pretty sure the article referes to the adapter, not the rotor, as being HD police versions. The HD adapter has more ribbing.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/26/09 07:00 PM

Quote:

Large slider adapters.

Those are the ones I have.

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/26/09 07:34 PM

Quote:

Pretty sure the article referes to the adapter, not the rotor, as being HD police versions. The HD adapter has more ribbing.

No, it specifically refers to the rotors. It also makes mention of a heavy duty adapter.
Posted By: 1fastrunner

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/26/09 07:45 PM

It does make mention of heavier duty brackets, but be sure you get the right ones. The 1st set I had must have been from a c body(won't work). I thought they were the heavier version ones, but they weren't.
Jim

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/26/09 08:34 PM

Quote:

Wow, I posted a big answer and guess I didn't hit the right button. Anyway, If you buy replacement rotors from NAPA for the 1981 Cordoba, be aware that they sell a Blue and a Gold standard. One's cheap, the other higher. It doesn't matter on the rotors, you can still get either Chinese junk or Canadian goodness. It all boils down to what the warehouse has on hand for your area. My NAPA dealer (that I've known for years) told me he can't special order one or the other and kinda got in a huff when I kept ordering and sending back the China junk. They are that bad. Set them side by side and you can see and feel the difference. Specify the Gold and don't take the China crap for anything.I sent many back until I had a usable set for immediate bolt on, and an extra set for future brake replacement repair.

FWIW, an '81 cordoba is a J body, and only came with the smaller 10.875" rotor from the factory.

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/26/09 08:54 PM

Quote:

Your master cylinder bore is too big.

I recommend a 15/16" bore master cylinder for Viper calipers. This will give you adequate line pressure.

You should also change to 7/8" wheel cylinders if you are running rear drum brakes.

I think mine is 1" if i recall correctly
Not idea about the rear wheel cyls. but i put a Wilwood valve in line.

The car came with the Bendix four pistons setup from the factory so it also has the reducer valve for the rear circuit.

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/27/09 12:48 AM

Sorry if I gave the wrong year. could anyone please verify then that the above numbers are right for a 79 Cordoba and the manufactures # above?
Posted By: CompSyn

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/27/09 03:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

My mistake, it was a 77 B-Body Fury like this one:

The Fury name has been tossed around so much that I loose track sometimes.
Posted By: MadMatt

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/27/09 04:15 AM

Quote:

A power booster just assists with pedal pressure. It does not increase line pressure to the caliper.

MadMatt ran into a similar situation and he changed the master cylinder diameter.

I had a 1 1/8" MC with manual brakes and 73 up A-Body discs up front, drums out back, and it was a nightmare. I went to the 15/16" bore base on Dr. Diff's recommendation and it was a night and day difference. Part of that recommendation was based on me telling the good Doctor that I would be swapping to the Viper brakes (and hopefully his rear disk kit) down the road.

I now have the spindles and calipers. Next week I will order the ARE adapters and the rotors. Can't wait to see how the car stops when I'm all done.

Re: 11.75" rotors which cars ? - 12/29/09 12:08 PM

I had a 1 1/8" MC with manual brakes and 73 up A-Body discs up front, drums out back, and it was a nightmare. I went to the 15/16" bore base on Dr. Diff's recommendation and it was a night and day difference. Part of that recommendation was based on me telling the good Doctor that I would be swapping to the Viper brakes (and hopefully his rear disk kit) down the road.

I now have the spindles and calipers. Next week I will order the ARE adapters and the rotors. Can't wait to see how the car stops when I'm all done.

I will try a 15/16" cyl before to order the hidro- boost system.

Would be nice to save those $$$ just changing the master Cyl.
© 2024 Moparts Forums