Moparts

How to disable 5mph bumper shocks?

Posted By: badblubeee

How to disable 5mph bumper shocks? - 12/20/09 03:03 AM

I've got a 76 Duster with the extended bumper mounting and I want to bring the bumpers in and ditch the plastic fillers.Do I need earlier brackets or can I collaps the shocks somehow?
I really hate the way these things look and this is the third car I've owned with them Anyone done this? thanks,Dave
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: How to disable 5mph bumper shocks? - 12/20/09 03:23 AM

I've never done it, but I've heard something about people drilling and collapsing the "shock absorber" brackets. Installing the conventional brackets will require some fabrication of mounting holes.

Re: How to disable 5mph bumper shocks? - 12/20/09 03:36 AM

I thought of drilling 'em-does that work? And how far back will they go?And, do they need to be pinned back to keep from creeping back out?
Yea, too many questions but better safe than
Posted By: bigslant6fan

Re: How to disable 5mph bumper shocks? - 12/20/09 03:59 AM

Never done it either,but be carefull,I found out they are full of oil under pressure-and they make a big fireball when you cut them with a cutting torch.don't ask me how I know.
Posted By: coronet1966d

Re: How to disable 5mph bumper shocks? - 12/20/09 04:15 AM

drill em, they will compress 2-3 inches roughly, yeah they have oil in them so put a drain pan under it

Re: How to disable 5mph bumper shocks? - 12/20/09 04:35 AM

Quote:

drill em, they will compress 2-3 inches roughly, yeah they have oil in them so put a drain pan under it

thanks
By 2-3 inches-does that mean they'll come back too far as in against the fender?
© 2024 Moparts Forums