Moparts

Cast Iron Max Wedge headers

Posted By: Real-Fury

Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/16/09 06:01 PM

Just wondering how the cast iron max wedge headers compare performancewise to standard aftermarket tubular headers. This would strickly be on a street machine. Car has 440 engine, mild performance cam, single 4bbl, A/T and fitted with max wedge headers and complete max wedge exhaust including factory cutouts. At least this is what I'm being told. I'm a rookie at this.

Butch
Posted By: ramcharger1964

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/16/09 08:57 PM

I would like to know this as well

I have a wedge motor with TTI 2" and full max wedge system but would like to know how much I would lose with a pair of the stock headers.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/16/09 09:07 PM

Hey lots of guys are making good power with the regular 440 HP manifolds, some good 500hp builds there. I would say with those cast headers you wouldn't be losing out on much at all, other than weight!
Posted By: Pool Fixer

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/17/09 01:32 AM

the only problem is fitting them in the car
Posted By: pishta

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/17/09 01:36 AM

I would jump at that chance. No Tube header clearance issues, no header noise, no burned gaskets, sign me up. Too band I got a LA block now.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/17/09 02:25 AM

Quote:

the only problem is fitting them in the car

Actually they fit better and have more clearance than HP manifolds.

Attached picture 5672468-P7070006.JPG
Posted By: Ply72rr

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/17/09 02:53 AM

Will these fit on 68-72 B-Body? Anyone tried?

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/17/09 03:09 AM

Up to 70 but you will have clearance problems with power brake booster.If you mill 3/16" off the manifold to head surface,driver side will fit,passenger side,no problems.Don't know about 71 and later.
Posted By: rbstroker

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/17/09 01:18 PM

You'll need some extra horsepower just to overcome the weight.

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/17/09 01:36 PM

Quote:

You'll need some extra horsepower just to overcome the weight.

Or go on a diet.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/17/09 01:59 PM

How heavy ARE they? w flowing tubes & 3" outlet should flow good. I saw a pic of a big block in a 66 dart w them & it was an rb!. I have a mild 451 going into a 65 dart & am considering them but I want to run PS & I'm thinking they'll interfere . Any opinions on this??

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/17/09 02:30 PM

You will have to use a Saginaw pump.The hoses need to go under the battery box.The Federal/Thompson pump have the pressure and return fittings in the wrong location.You will also need to change the return fitting on the centering valve.Use one from anything that used a Saginaw pump.It exits almost parallel to the box where the earlier is about 90* and interferes with the return hose being too close to the manifold.Took me a while to figure it out but everything now looks factory.

Attached picture 5673095-PB290089.JPG

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/17/09 02:33 PM

Another

Attached picture 5673102-PB290088.JPG
Posted By: Tom Swope

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/17/09 08:19 PM

MW manifolds will not fit in 66 and newer "B" body cars without cutting the firewall on the passenger side(RS). 62-65 "B" body cars had the engine located 1-1/2" more forward than 66 and later cars.

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/17/09 08:46 PM

Quote:

MW manifolds will not fit in 66 and newer "B" body cars without cutting the firewall on the passenger side(RS). 62-65 "B" body cars had the engine located 1-1/2" more forward than 66 and later cars.

that's what I thought too. I asked this same question years ago on moparts and a few guys with 68-70 B bodies chimed in and said that they had to do some trimming on the firewall.

One guy posted a pic of a drag car charger with the nose off. it clearly showed that these were kissing the firewall.

i still love them though and If I had the fab skills I would love to put a set in my charger. so cool..

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/17/09 09:11 PM

Quote:

All you need is a big to pick up another inch!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/24/09 03:57 AM

Maybe do the opposite swap of what the Early B-body guys have done for years?

Swap in a 62-65 K-frame in a later B?
Posted By: unclemike

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/24/09 04:10 AM

I had a set of those on my 1964 Plymouth Savoy with a 440 dropped in it. I can tell you that the hood gets a little on the hot side above the manifolds.
Also, I'm going to have to measure the engine in my 1964 and compare it to my 1968 because I was told the by a well know magazine writer that if I put the later cross member under my Plymouth the engine wold mount higher and further forward. That's opposite of what you guys are saying.
I have an old Hot Rod Magazine Spotlite book on the Max wedge cars. The cover photo includes a 426 stage three with the square tube manifolds that I personally have never seen on a production engine.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/24/09 04:12 AM

Your magazine writer needs a fact checker... Like many writers do...

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/24/09 04:16 AM

The photo they used was probably from Chrysler, either a mock up or an artist's conception. The proof reader is retired by now as the book dates from the early sixties. Circa 1963/1964.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/24/09 04:20 AM

Quote:

The photo they used was probably from Chrysler, either a mock up or an artist's conception. The proof reader is retired by now as the book dates from the early sixties. Circa 1963/1964.

Those manifolds while extremely rare do exsist...

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/24/09 04:25 AM

Sorry about that, I thought you were writing about the manifolds, not the engine placement. I'd like to see a photo of them in a car.
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/24/09 04:31 AM

Tri Y's in a car.

Attached picture 5686631-4823477-1964MaxWedgeTri-YExhaustManifoldsDrivers.jpg

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/24/09 04:33 AM

Picture #2
Thank Scott Smith for these photos.
Saved, and borrowed, from him.

Attached picture 5686635-4823478-1964MaxWedgeTri-YPassengerSideManifold.jpg

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/24/09 04:37 AM

Wow!!! I'd hate to have to change plugs between rounds on that!!
Posted By: pishta

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/24/09 04:39 AM

Hemi71x, A while ago, I read that there were 3 sets of those square tube manifolds in existance, and one guy had 2 sets. Is that you or is that a fish story? circa 64? (has a square coupler on the steering box)

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/24/09 04:41 AM

Picture #3

Attached picture 5686646-manifold.jpg

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/24/09 04:49 AM

Quote:

Hemi71x, A while ago, I read that there were 3 sets of those square tube manifolds in existance, and one guy had 2 sets. Is that you or is that a fish story? circa 64? (has a square coupler on the steering box)

I used to own the single left side manifold that i posted in picture #3
I only owned that one side, never had a complete pair.
The figure that i always "rumored" to have been produced was 6 or 7 sets for Nascar evaluation purposes.
I personally know of one set out there, and another set my friend says he knows someone that has a set. But i don't know if thats bs or true.
Jim V.

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/24/09 04:55 AM

One more #4

Attached picture 5686670-Jul23012[640x480].JPG

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/24/09 04:58 AM

Ever see any flow numbers on them? This looks like one of those times that the attempt to get equal lengths would be overcome by flow restriction. And from pic #4 front end weight.

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/24/09 05:12 AM

I don't think they ever made it that far into development to have any kind of flow testing done on them.
The NASCAR Hemi was there, or on the way, so the Tri Y development was dropped pretty quickly.
Ya, the left side that i had was pretty heavy. Never did accurately weigh it though, so a pair of them would weigh a bunch.

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/24/09 05:23 AM

That was the next thing, they were a late 1963 or early 1964 piece?

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/25/09 04:14 AM

Attached picture 5688509-Tri-y[1600x1200].jpg
Posted By: Michael

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/25/09 02:30 PM

The above car and manifolds belong to a good friend of mine. I took those pictures at Quaker City Raceway several years ago.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/25/09 02:48 PM

Neat looking mans .. ferr-sure ..... it would get-you the WOW-factor every time .... but the rear cylinders do not nearly flow as well as the fronts.

In a race between a set of these(ESPECIALLY with the stock exhaust system) ...against a decent set of headers.....

The headers would the irons handily.

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/25/09 03:07 PM

Yes Doc, I agree with you.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/25/09 03:09 PM

Quote:

The above car and manifolds belong to a good friend of mine. I took those pictures at Quaker City Raceway several years ago.

Yep! That's where they came from

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/25/09 03:36 PM

Quote:

Maybe do the opposite swap of what the Early B-body guys have done for years?

Swap in a 62-65 K-frame in a later B?

That sounds ok...but think about the fan to rad clearance stock big block 68-70 B's have. on my charger it stinks. moving the engine forward would make a bad situation worse.

I have a really short fan clutch that I got from mazzoliniracing a few years back. they called it a "max wedge" clutch. probably because it was going in the early B's with next to no fan to rad room.

I would still love to put these in my car. I love manifolds and these would be sick looking.

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/25/09 04:08 PM

#6 Left side picture.

Attached picture 5688965-Tri-y#3.jpg

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/25/09 06:31 PM

#7 Full size, left side picture.

Attached picture 5689167-TriY#5.jpg

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/25/09 08:44 PM

just a little bit of information for some of you guys that know alot about max wedge exhaust manifolds.
when hooked up to a full max wedge exhaust system,the cars made 425 hp from the factory but when you uncorked the blockoff plates,you were able to achieve an extra 80-90 hp. the power difference was very noticeable when going from corked to a uncorked exhaust system.

Attached picture 5689323-63PLYMOUTH65DODGEA99068HEMIROADRUNNER011.JPG
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/25/09 09:21 PM

Those manifolds look really cool but imagine changing spark plugs around a cast iron radiator. The manifolds put off a ton of heat and raise hell with master cylinder. If you were going to drive the car and race it I would put headers on. If you were going to have a show car the manifolds would be fine.

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/25/09 09:28 PM

I'm sure you would be changing spark plugs from the bottom, with the car up on a hoist, or on jack stands.
Probably wouldn't be much of a problem from the bottom.
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/25/09 10:07 PM

If you are trying to maximize your flow and horse power I would use the aftermarket headers. Not the over the counter pieces of crap headers you can buy at any speed shop. The money you spend in this area will reflect on the Dyno. There are reasons to use short tube or a long tube lengths and various other modifications to a header tube. Spend time on researching this stuff before you buy anything. Max Wedge repro manifolds will run you about 1000+ dollars. Then you can try and buy the rest of the exhaust system.

Your choices of exhaust all depends on the motor modifications and the uses you will have the car doing. Research research research.Dont waste money with an unsuited exhaust system.

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/26/09 01:27 AM

Quote:

I'm sure you would be changing spark plugs from the bottom, with the car up on a hoist, or on jack stands.
Probably wouldn't be much of a problem from the bottom.

Actually,plugs are easier to change than with regular HP manifolds.
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/26/09 02:13 AM

Draginmopars had a set on his 68 Satellite 4 door racecar. I believe he said a portapower fixed the firewall issue.

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/26/09 02:27 AM

"The Orange Monster"

Attached picture 5689724-MaxWedge#3.jpg

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/26/09 03:10 AM

Quote:

"The Orange Monster"

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/26/09 04:32 AM

Quote:

Those manifolds look really cool but imagine changing spark plugs around a cast iron radiator. The manifolds put off a ton of heat and raise hell with master cylinder. If you were going to drive the car and race it I would put headers on. If you were going to have a show car the manifolds would be fine.

last time i checked headers make a ton of heat in
the engine compartment. exhaust manifolds do not.
sparks plugs as said are a breeze to change. those
Maxi Exhaust Mans don't give up a ounce of horsepower
to any modern header. they are alot heavier though.
but thats an excuse to put the battery in the trunk.
single master cylinders in the day did not suffer
the heat sink problem like modern dual master
cylinders will. but you can always had a heat shield
to help protect it.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/26/09 04:34 AM

WHAT IS UP ...with all that changin'-the-plugs ??.. !!

What you guys need is a good ignition system and a carb that will not "wipe-out" the plugs in the first place.

Last time I had my 62 out .. I had it up to 5400 in high-gear(with a 2.76 gear) ...and it never missed a beat.

And THOSE plugs were put in-there in 1979 ! (about 40k miles ago)
Posted By: 383man

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/26/09 06:50 AM

Quote:

WHAT IS UP ...with all that changin'-the-plugs ??.. !!

What you guys need is a good ignition system and a carb that will not "wipe-out" the plugs in the first place.

Last time I had my 62 out .. I had it up to 5400 in high-gear(with a 2.76 gear) ...and it never missed a beat.

And THOSE plugs were put in-there in 1979 ! (about 40k miles ago)

Heck yea I have had the same plugs in my 63 for almost 2 years and raced 5 times this year with them along with alot of street miles. Never had any problems and turned a new best et the last time out. But honestly I would love to see a back to back dyno test of the Maxie exh manifolds vs headers. Ron
Posted By: SportF

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/26/09 03:03 PM

I think if you guys had ever lifted a set of those cast iron headers you'd be surprised how little they do weigh. It is not that much heavier than TTI headers, if any. The intake manifold and carbs look heavy, but the manifold AND carbs weigh less than a stock cast iron 4 barrel manifold by itself.

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/26/09 05:03 PM

??
never layed my hands on some tti's but i know that the max wedge exhaust mans are heavier
then a set of hooker super comps. i do believe also that the original crossram intakes were made
from magnesium too. which is lighter then aluminum. not a 100% on mag use though.

383man there were a couple of dyno tests. the max mans were = to the headers for power making. the
exhaust that was standard on the max cars were tuned for it. the 3" pipe before the dumps was just
like collector extensions used today. i believe the max wedge cars destine for SS use came with
a single exhaust. IIRC. therefore i think thats where the "header makes more power" theory came from.
Posted By: SportF

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/26/09 05:41 PM

hemi's had a magensium intake, but I don't think they made max wedges in Magesium. Yes, most headers are real thin wall stuff. I compared the cast iron max exhaust to the TTI's as I have TTI's on my car and know they are about the same.

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/26/09 07:37 PM

Complete 3" TTI from the manifolds back,wouldn't trade for any headers.

Attached picture 5690718-MVC-078S.JPG
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/26/09 07:48 PM

Quote:

i do believe also that the original crossram intakes were made
from magnesium too. which is lighter then aluminum. not a 100% on mag use though

All Max Wedge Cross Ram Intakes were aluminum

1964 Hemi Cross Rams were aluminum

1965 & 1968 Hemi Cross Rams were Magnesium. Some 65 Hemi cars might have had leftover aluminum intakes but I've never seen a documented example.

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/26/09 07:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

i do believe also that the original crossram intakes were made
from magnesium too. which is lighter then aluminum. not a 100% on mag use though

All Max Wedge Cross Ram Intakes were aluminum

1964 Hemi Cross Rams were aluminum

1965 & 1968 Hemi Cross Rams were Magnesium. Some 65 Hemi cars might have had leftover aluminum intakes but I've never seen a documented example.

sorry, what i meant to say was the original ie: very early 413 crossrams. i remember discussing that
with a former MoPar SuperStock racer. i prolly misunderstood though. point noted and thanks for
clearing that up for me.
Posted By: rbstroker

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/26/09 11:04 PM

I agree with 383man. I'd love to see a testing of maxie exhaust manifolds vs headers vs 68-69 roadrunner type manifolds.
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: Cast Iron Max Wedge headers - 12/27/09 04:43 AM

Like I said earlier dont test the Factory Headers Exhaust Manifolds against that over the counter stuff. Even TTI and Hooker are made to fit first and flow second. Even with the factory header it does not work with every application or variable that a RB-B Motor can be use for. If you are looking for a cheaper exhaust that works ok use the headers that every speed shop sells. The Max Headers looks cool and works real well. Custom built race headers and exhaust system cost money. Go what every way you like,but research before you buy any of them.
© 2024 Moparts Forums