Moparts

How to mount Space Saver tire?

Posted By: 70440+6bbl

How to mount Space Saver tire? - 12/14/09 03:55 PM

I repainted a space saver rim and need to have the original F78-14 BFG tire mounted back on it. I found some factory warning literature where it is stated NOT to use use compressed air and to only use the inflator cannister... Has anyone done this before without damaging the tire?

Re: How to mount Space Saver tire? - 12/14/09 03:57 PM

The Space-Saver should only be inflated with the special canister provided. Never use an air hose. The canister is good for one use only; a new canister must be obtained for future use.
Follow the approved mounting and use instructions.
As early as possible, remove the Space-Saver and replace it with a normal tire.
The Space-Saver is a load range B tire and should never be inflated past 32 psi.
Because of its construction, the Space-Saver tire beads may appear to be improperly seated on the wheel. This is normal. Do not attempt to seat the beads by adding more air.
To deflate the tire, remove the valve stem and fold the tire around the rim.
No attempt should be made to remove the Space-Saver tire from the rim or to repair the tire.

Figure 4 Space-saver spares required special handling to preserve their usefulness
Posted By: cuda-sweden

Re: How to mount Space Saver tire? - 12/14/09 06:15 PM

well it worked for me,i pumped air in it to make it seat and then i inflated it again and it schrunk back to its small size.BUT,i was warned before i did it cause a friend just for fun pumped air in his space saver and it didnt go back to the small size,maybe it was dryed out or something. good luck

Re: How to mount Space Saver tire? - 12/15/09 04:39 AM

Thanks Cuda-Sweden, anyone else have any experience?
Posted By: Barnabas_Kriss

Re: How to mount Space Saver tire? - 12/15/09 05:18 AM

I would like to know as well. I also have a refinished rim, and need to put the tire back. The shop that removed it for me claimed that they can't re-install it properly. Before they removed the tire, they did inflate it with compressed air, and it did collapse back to normal without any problem.
Posted By: JulesdaWiperman

Re: How to mount Space Saver tire? - 12/15/09 12:56 PM

I have done dozens of restorations on space savers and this is what I have learned.
You can easily inflate the tire with air and then deflate it and the tire will return to its'
original shape. Sometimes it takes a good 10 minutes. HOWEVER, if the tire has been inflated for a
long time and /or it has been run on, it will NOT return to its shape. The tire can be removed from the rim and
installed back on BUT it is murder trying to get it back on. You must use a regular tire machine. Not today's
mag wheel machines that do not touch the rims.It will be very hard to get back on and when I do them done it takes 3
guys and loads of lubricant to succeed. I believe the problem is that the rubber is so old that it has lost its flexibility and thus
it does not want to stretch and co-operate. Heating the tire does not help much either. We tried that. Keep in mind
that your experience may vary due to the condition of your particular tire.
Jules

Attached picture 5669027-chrisspacesavers(2).jpg

Re: How to mount Space Saver tire? - 12/15/09 12:58 PM

Attached picture 5669028-ssclone1.jpg
Posted By: RTshaker

Re: How to mount Space Saver tire? - 12/15/09 01:53 PM

Is the rim of a space saver different than a regular rim?? I have a gm rim and tire that I would like to change over to a mopar bolt pattern ?? Thanks
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: How to mount Space Saver tire? - 12/15/09 02:06 PM

Jules,
Do you paint the rim before or after mounting the tire?
Posted By: cuda-sweden

Re: How to mount Space Saver tire? - 12/15/09 04:42 PM

Quote:

Is the rim of a space saver different than a regular rim?? I have a gm rim and tire that I would like to change over to a mopar bolt pattern ?? Thanks

thats what i did,pontiac aluminum space saver wheel,cut the rim in half with a vinkelslip, removed the tire and mounted it on a regular junk yard 14" rim.simsalabim a look alike space saver wheel,but with good year tire.but i can live with that until i ran into a bf-goodrich.overandout

Re: How to mount Space Saver tire? - 12/15/09 06:41 PM

Snoopy,
I primer the rim in black first and then mount the tire.
After the tire is on I tape it off and then paint the rim gloss black.
I cannot do it before hand because the process of installing the tire
would badly scratch the edge of the rim.
Jules

Attached picture 5669492-spacesaverresto5.jpg
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: How to mount Space Saver tire? - 12/15/09 08:33 PM

Jules,
That was the way I was planning on doing mine, just wanted to check with the Master.

Re: How to mount Space Saver tire? - 12/16/09 02:04 AM

Hi Jules,

I had a local tire shop put the tires back on (I am doing two '70 space savers), he got them ON the rim with no problem, but they are not centered and the beads do not sit right... Is that where the issue lies with these tires? I will bring them back to him and tell him to use lots more lube if you think that is the problem.

Re: How to mount Space Saver tire? - 12/16/09 03:04 AM

Take the wheel in hand on each side and flat drop it on the tread several tires. Do the whole circumference of the tire
like that. Try to inflate it after that.
If it still does not hold air. Do it again.
I have always succeeded in inflating it and hence centering the tire on the rim in this fashion.
Jules

Re: How to mount Space Saver tire? - 12/16/09 03:15 AM

Thanks Jules, I'll try that tomorrow night

Re: How to mount Space Saver tire? - 12/21/09 04:30 PM

Jules- worked like a charm! I flat dropped them several times and using a soapy water mix, they seated and then I used air to do the rest

Re: How to mount Space Saver tire? - 12/22/09 01:54 PM

There you go!
Glad it worked out.
Jules
Posted By: TinCuda

Re: How to mount Space Saver tire? - 10/30/11 05:16 PM

Quote:

Snoopy,
Jules

I was thinking of having a space saver tire mounted to a rim that was black powder coated. Just wondering if that would still scratch up the rim?

Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: How to mount Space Saver tire? - 10/30/11 05:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Snoopy,
Jules

I was thinking of having a space saver tire mounted to a rim that was black power coated. Just wondering if that would still scratch up the rim?

Have you ever used an old Coates 40-40 type machine? With the nylon protector you have a slim chance of not doing damage but if the tire fights as much as I'd expect than you'll have scratches...
Posted By: TinCuda

Re: How to mount Space Saver tire? - 10/30/11 05:45 PM

No, I have never mounted a tire without a split rim. I guess someone like Hibdon Tires would not be up to it? Sounds like they just need to get the tire on the rim, then drop it a couple of times. Like I said, I really have no idea.

Re: How to mount Space Saver tire? - 10/30/11 07:28 PM

I would expect scratches.
Jules
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: How to mount Space Saver tire? - 10/30/11 08:36 PM

I had a old space saver tire mounted on a correct rim a few months ago with the help of my friend Gary (moparman440) at his shop and it was not an easy job by any means!
I had painted the rim prior to taking it Gary's shop and there were a number of scratches in the paint after we were done. With all the wrestling around on the tire machine with at times, 3 guys fighting with it with tubs of lube and metal bars, I am surprised that tire didn't get ripped apart and the wheel itself get bent up in the process!
I had to do some touch up painting work after I got the assembly home, but it ended up looking great.
I don't see working with a powder coated wheel coming out well.
Thanks again Gary! And thanks Jules, after about an hour, we were about ready to give up trying to get the tire to seat, Gary did a search here, and after reading this thread, we wrestled with the tire a little more, tried inflating it completely which I had been afraid would permanently distort the tire, and doing that, we got it to seat!
© 2024 Moparts Forums