Moparts

Taller gears, smoother shifts?

Posted By: Anonymous

Taller gears, smoother shifts? - 12/08/09 01:12 AM

Some automatic transmission "expert" on another forum claims that an automatic transmission will shift firmer with 4.10 gears and softer with 2.92 gears - no changes except for gear ratio.

I can't think of any reason why this would be true, but I've been wrong before.

Anyone agree with this guy?
Posted By: R70RUNNER

Re: Taller gears, smoother shifts? - 12/08/09 01:16 AM

might be easier for a shift kit to chirp the tires with a lower ratio (4.10's)
Posted By: ahy

Re: Taller gears, smoother shifts? - 12/08/09 02:26 AM

The rear gear multiplies the torque. Whatever the transmission does as it shifts gets multiplied more with a higher rear end ratio. Makes sense to me.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Taller gears, smoother shifts? - 12/08/09 02:38 AM

The shift wouldn't change but the rear end would hit harder.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Taller gears, smoother shifts? - 12/08/09 08:20 PM

The transmission won't shift any harder with the 4.10 gears, but the shift will FEEL firmer because the 4.10's make the vehicle jump forward more at the shift.

Re: Taller gears, smoother shifts? - 12/08/09 08:43 PM

Well, it makes sense to me that you can more easily bark the tires on a full-throttle 1-2 shift with 4.10 gears than with 2.92, but the guy wasn't just talking about full-throttle shifts; he also claimed that with taller gears (lower numerically), drive and reverse engagements would be softer, along with shifts up and down, full or part throttle.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Taller gears, smoother shifts? - 12/08/09 09:54 PM

Of course. The rear end makes it feel softer or harder. It doesn't matter at what rpm you shift the difference will be noted through the whole range.

Re: Taller gears, smoother shifts? - 12/08/09 10:30 PM

Okay, guess I should look for the white flag icon. . . .

Seriously, I went from 3.23 gears to 4.10 in my Charger a few years ago and of course there was a lot of difference in how it ran, but I don't remember any difference in the transmission shift quality. Maybe it was so long ago I just forgot.
© 2024 Moparts Forums