Moparts

Duster tail light lens paint?

Posted By: bigblock340power

Duster tail light lens paint? - 12/06/09 01:52 PM

Anyone know what type of paint (black) was used on the Duster tail light lenses to black them out where needed? Mine were a little worn so I'm taping them off and repainting them. But I'd like to get as close to the org. paint as possible.
Thanks
Posted By: Bobster

Re: Duster tail light lens paint? - 12/06/09 04:19 PM

I'm currently restoring the taillight panel on my 73 Challenger and I used SEM Trim Paint for the flat black portions of it. It has a really good finish and applies easily.
Posted By: can.al

Re: Duster tail light lens paint? - 12/06/09 11:38 PM

...originally they were just the color of the plastic and injection molded or whatever,so you'll have to fudge it.
you can probably get it pretty close with some of the rattle can trim paints in a low lustre black..
.al
Posted By: pinkduster

Re: Duster tail light lens paint? - 12/07/09 02:31 AM

I have seen several NOS 70/71 Duster taillight lenses and the black part looked glossy to me (not flat or satin finish).
Posted By: SuperStocker

Re: Duster tail light lens paint? - 12/07/09 02:34 AM

Correct. I used a semi-gloss on mine.
Posted By: can.al

Re: Duster tail light lens paint? - 12/07/09 04:03 AM

you might be able to get back to the original finish by wet sanding with 1200 and then
polishing, there should be some 'lustre.
Posted By: Steve340

Re: Duster tail light lens paint? - 12/07/09 04:07 AM

If you sand them, there won't be any black paint left.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Duster tail light lens paint? - 12/07/09 02:33 PM

Thought it was black plastic?

Re: Duster tail light lens paint? - 12/08/09 11:53 PM

Quote:

Thought it was black plastic?

No, they are not black plastic. I've taken whats left of the black off to repaint them. I have two sets of lenses so I can reference the other set for accuracy.
Posted By: 340wedge

Re: Duster tail light lens paint? - 12/09/09 12:38 AM

They should be gloss black, maybe one of the new plastic fusion paints from Krylon or someone? I used semi gloss on mine and don't forget the new tail light gaskets

Re: Duster tail light lens paint? - 12/09/09 12:44 AM

Quote:

They should be gloss black, maybe one of the new plastic fusion paints from Krylon or someone? I used semi gloss on mine and don't forget the new tail light gaskets

I'll look into the Krylon paints. I bought the gasket set long ago. I'm set in that area.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Duster tail light lens paint? - 12/10/09 02:04 AM

Sounds like you got the black covered, so I'll add a little tip I have used many times on taillite lenses. Clean and glassbead the lenses, then have them clear-coated. They look like new and it should help the black adhere a little better.
© 2024 Moparts Forums