Moparts

Strongest paint remover is.....

Posted By: Topcat

Strongest paint remover is..... - 12/02/09 03:24 AM

I'm stripping paint off my doors using Jasco gel type paint stripper. It took off the first layer with no problem (enamel). But the original Mopar paint underneath is like rock. It just won't wrinkle up and lift off. Gets a little soft and that's about it.

Any brands that eat paint better?
Posted By: Leadfoot

Re: Strongest paint remover is..... - 12/02/09 03:33 AM

Carlin described a fart that could strip the varnish off a footlocker.
Serious, I think what you may be describing as the original paint is the original primer.
This stuff just doesn't seem to want to come off with paint stripper.
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Strongest paint remover is..... - 12/02/09 03:35 AM

there's no real need to remove the factory primer it's excellent stuff.
Posted By: 70Duster440

Re: Strongest paint remover is..... - 12/02/09 03:41 AM

The Jasco stuff is practically worthless. Aircraft stripper will do it. If your local hardware store doesn't have it, an automotive paint supplier will.
Posted By: A/MP

Re: Strongest paint remover is..... - 12/02/09 03:41 AM

To your stripper and slow lacuer thinner about 80/20 mixture ( strip/lac). Scuff the surface with 120 grit prior to applying this mixture

Re: Strongest paint remover is..... - 12/02/09 03:52 AM

Quote:

Actually, it's the original Hemi orange paint that's not lifting.

Quote:

The Jasco stuff is practically worthless. Aircraft stripper will do it. If your local hardware store doesn't have it, an automotive paint supplier will.

Thanks, I'll go get that and try it.
Posted By: Leadfoot

Re: Strongest paint remover is..... - 12/02/09 04:05 AM

I thought the same thing. What I thought was Y3 paint was really primer of the same color and it just didn't come off.
Posted By: strokin73cuda

Re: Strongest paint remover is..... - 12/02/09 04:11 AM

I recently used a brush on and an aerosol from local stores don't remember the brands but they were useless compared to the klean strip brand premium stripper from home depot (I think 5-8 bucks for 18 oz can), it worked almost instantly on the upper layers of paint on my car. It was so strong I was actually worried about breathing the fumes from it. Of course still the longer you leave it on the better it penatrates.

Re: Strongest paint remover is..... - 12/02/09 04:31 AM

Quote:

I thought the same thing. What I thought was Y3 paint was really primer of the same color and it just didn't come off.

A colored primer? I didn't see anything under it a different color.
Posted By: car48nut

Re: Strongest paint remover is..... - 12/02/09 04:36 AM

If you cover the stripper with sarnwrap and wait a little while it will work. You need to let it soak for a while and not dryup.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: Strongest paint remover is..... - 12/02/09 12:06 PM

Quote:

Any brands that eat paint better?

Absolutely:

Sansher Corp. Dad's Easy Spray Paint Remover
Posted By: CYACOP

Re: Strongest paint remover is..... - 12/02/09 03:09 PM

Quote:

I agree, if it's that hard to get off, leave it on. Gets back to the same argument when I see someone trying to remove the undercoating.
Posted By: minivan

Re: Strongest paint remover is..... - 12/02/09 04:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree, if it's that hard to get off, leave it on. Gets back to the same argument when I see someone trying to remove the undercoating.

Personally, once you have used paint remover over it I would be very hesitant to paint over it as it may come up or wrinkle in the future...

Re: Strongest paint remover is..... - 12/02/09 09:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Personally, once you have used paint remover over it I would be very hesitant to paint over it as it may come up or wrinkle in the future...

I plan to take any and all precautions to remove residues. Wire brush all areas, metal clean, metal etch, laquer thinner.
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Strongest paint remover is..... - 12/02/09 09:48 PM

I like this stuff -

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/kleen-strip-aircraft-paint-remover-qar343-p-12814.aspx

Posted By: Lefty

Re: Strongest paint remover is..... - 12/02/09 09:54 PM

Quote:

Serious, I think what you may be describing as the original paint is the original primer.

On second thought I too remember factory original primers that had to be sanded off once the paint stripper stopped working...

What the heck kinda primer was that?
Posted By: CYACOP

Re: Strongest paint remover is..... - 12/02/09 10:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

On second thought I too remember factory original primers that had to be sanded off once the paint stripper stopped working...

What the heck kinda primer was that?

Leaded not Unleaded.
Posted By: prochargedhemi

Re: Strongest paint remover is..... - 12/02/09 10:17 PM

I always use the stuff from NAPA. I believe its part number 6803 comes in a gallon container. Its a water soluble paint stripper and is the best i have used. did my WHOLE car with 2 gallons (about 3 paint jobs on the car) and some red scotchbrite
Posted By: ahy

Re: Strongest paint remover is..... - 12/02/09 11:57 PM

I used what I think was the strongest - Aircraft Stripper - on a '70 challenger with 2 paint jobs on top of the original. The newer paint came off without problem. The orignal, especially the primer did not. It just softened.

I ended up using plenty of aircraft stripper then covering with plastic to keep it wet and working for a couple hours. Then I scrubbed with stainless steel pot scrubbers, wire brushes, scotchbrite and small screwdrivers and picks for the tight spots. I went through two pairs of heavy chemical resistant gloves, and had "hot hands" on several occasions. But it worked.
Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: Strongest paint remover is..... - 12/03/09 12:12 AM

This the real deal here, Aircraft Remover,
Will take everything but the Carburator. It expands with heat so be carefull when you open it.
Otherwise you'll be rolling around in the grass with a water hose.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Strongest paint remover is..... - 12/03/09 12:39 AM

Quote:

This the real deal here, Aircraft Remover,
Will take everything but the Carburator. It expands with heat so be carefull when you open it.
Otherwise you'll be rolling around in the grass with a water hose.

Yea, you want the stongest concentration of Methylene chloride you can find. Its pretty nasty stuff. Our company (BIG manufacturing firm) won't allow a drop of it in the plants. Known carcinogen.
But it works
Posted By: elitecustombody

Re: Strongest paint remover is..... - 12/04/09 01:58 AM

Aircraft stripper works great if you follow directions when applying it, covering it with plastic sheet helps to get faster and better results
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Strongest paint remover is..... - 12/04/09 05:00 AM

I used circa 1850 and had no problems.
Posted By: 71RR ED

Re: Strongest paint remover is..... - 12/04/09 04:52 PM

used aircraft stripper and as was said factory primer was the only layer that did not lift.
Posted By: CHRGR69

Re: Strongest paint remover is..... - 12/05/09 08:22 PM

Quote:

Maybe for body paint, but the Jasco works great for underhood and interior stripping.
Posted By: Texican

Re: Strongest paint remover is..... - 12/06/09 05:21 AM

Methylene Chloride works ok and so does MEK (methyl ethyl keytone) which can be bought at the local paint store (very dangerous stuff to breathe)... but all this stuff flashes off very quickly which is why aircraft stripper comes in a gel form.

Although aircraft stripper works better on most paints, I've had good luck with heavy duty easy off oven cleaner with some paints that were stubborn....and when all else fails, there's always brake fluid
© 2024 Moparts Forums