Moparts

Best way to strip paint from an engine?

Posted By: sharpie

Best way to strip paint from an engine? - 11/30/09 06:55 PM

I'd like an aerosol solution preferably, but if they just don't work like brush-on or foaming agents, that's fine. I just want to know what works best!
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Best way to strip paint from an engine? - 11/30/09 07:06 PM

Hot tank works best...but I suspect that's not a option. Good old aircraft remover brushed on and then pressure washed off should do it.
Posted By: sharpie

Re: Best way to strip paint from an engine? - 11/30/09 07:09 PM

Cool, I think I'll use aircraft stripper. You're right hot tanking probably isn't an option. Basically, what happened was I painted the motor blue about a year ago now, but I want it orange. I am going to take out the drivetrain to work on the transmission this winter, so I might as well paint it.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Best way to strip paint from an engine? - 11/30/09 07:13 PM

If it were clean I wouldn't hesitate painting over the old paint if it was stuck good.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Best way to strip paint from an engine? - 11/30/09 07:31 PM

Any paint stripper will work, but it might not do your gaskets any favors.
Posted By: MLR426

Re: Best way to strip paint from an engine? - 11/30/09 07:35 PM

Quote:

Any paint stripper will work, but it might not do your gaskets any favors.

Do you have a place that dips cars near you ? dip stripper is by far the best method of removing all crud and paint from an engine.

logan426
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Best way to strip paint from an engine? - 11/30/09 07:42 PM

I use the ez off oven cleaner and it will strip the paint,oil,grit,grim right off

I then rinse and blow dry them and paint

I get it at the dollor store for a buck a can and use 2-3 cans and do it a least 2x for stripping the paint down

cheap and fast

Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Best way to strip paint from an engine? - 12/01/09 06:45 PM

If you just painted it a year ago, I would just hose it with engine degreaser, let it soak for 15 minutes or so then hit it with the pressure washer. If any paint didn't stick good, you'll know. And good paint from a year ago can just be covered over IMO.
© 2024 Moparts Forums