Moparts

how is there oil in the intake

Posted By: 68spinnrunner

how is there oil in the intake - 07/17/08 01:27 AM

I have a 440-512 stroker motor, with less than 500 miles on the motor. Everything is either new or rebuilt, 10.5 to one pistons, 509 cam with 1.6 ratio crane rockers, with 915 closed chamber heads ported and polished new valves, guides, seals. With a six pack intake. I took the front carb off and noticed oil in the bottom of the intake but not alot. Is this normal on a new engine? I do not understand how oil would get there in the first place. Can you guys please give me some ideas on how to fix this? Thanks
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: how is there oil in the intake - 07/17/08 01:31 AM

What are you running for pcv and vents? Other than pcv issues possible intake leak into the valley sucking in oil.

Re: how is there oil in the intake - 07/17/08 01:42 AM

I thought I had a leaky intake so I resealed it, but it is still doing the same thing, I even used gaskets, but it would explain why it doesn't idle right.I use a pvc valve connected to the carb and a breather.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: how is there oil in the intake - 07/17/08 02:02 AM

Normally with intake gaskets leaking the oil is pulled directly into the head and not into the intake. Cap the pcv port and remove the valve and run it and see what happens. Maybe the valve is no good and its sucking excessively pulling oil into the plenum area of the intake.

Re: how is there oil in the intake - 07/17/08 07:51 AM

thanks man, that is something I have not thought about. I can't wait to try it.
Posted By: mopowergtx

Re: how is there oil in the intake - 07/17/08 12:49 PM

Do you have a baffle plate on the inside of the valve cover under the pcv valve hole? You need one if you dont. All stock covers have them but aftermarket covers are hit and miss if they do or not. Alot of oil gets slung around in there when its running and you better have a baffle or your going to suck oil in through the pcv valve.
Posted By: Ramman

Re: how is there oil in the intake - 07/17/08 01:25 PM

"Maybe the valve is no good and its sucking excessively pulling oil into the plenum area of the intake."
And this would be another reason it won't idle properly. Had the guts fall out of a P.C.V. valve one time and it wouldn't idle period. Caused a 3/8" vacuum leak and was a bear for my little mind to find. Swore the carb. or a intake valve had gone south.
© 2024 Moparts Forums