Moparts

removing trans dowel from rear of 440 block?

Posted By: '72CudaRacer

removing trans dowel from rear of 440 block? - 11/22/09 05:43 PM

What is the best way to remove alignment dowels from rear of 440 engine? I have a block that I'm preparing to use and one is missing. I was planning to take one from another block. Or can I just purchase a new one somewhere and install it? Anyone know where?
Thanks, Brian
Posted By: goldmember

Re: removing trans dowel from rear of 440 block? - 11/22/09 05:56 PM

Just knock it out,not hard to do,a hammer and punch works fine. You can make new dowels from bolt shanks or reuse one from another block.If you make them be sure to bevel the end like a stock dowel to easy tranny install.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: removing trans dowel from rear of 440 block? - 11/22/09 05:59 PM

You can buy dowels from a dealer or Mopar Performance. Mopar dowels are not a standard size so don't try using dowels from a hardware store.

Best way to pull out dowel pins is to use a dowel pin puller. That will prevent them from being damaged.

Re: removing trans dowel from rear of 440 block? - 11/22/09 08:11 PM

The dowels are in a blind hole. They have to be pulled out.
Posted By: goldmember

Re: removing trans dowel from rear of 440 block? - 11/22/09 09:11 PM

I was thinking SB,sorry,I really should read the post more carefully.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: removing trans dowel from rear of 440 block? - 11/22/09 10:35 PM

The last pair I removed. It was driled, tapped, thread in a long bolt and slide hammer it out.

My slide hammer was actually my vise grips on the bolt and my ball pein hammer.
Posted By: ahy

Re: removing trans dowel from rear of 440 block? - 11/22/09 11:36 PM

Vise grips and a hammer works well if they are stuck. Order a fresh set from Mancini or your store of choice.
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: removing trans dowel from rear of 440 block? - 11/23/09 12:48 AM

One of my two were too stuck to use vise grips/hammer. I drilled it out one oversize at a time...

Neatest way I know of is to drill a small hole all the way through the pin. Tap the end for a small-thread zerk (grease) fitting, and hook up your grease gun. Several thousand psi from a few pumps of the gun and it'll pop right out. I couldn't find my small zerks though, so I had to do it the hard way!

-Charles
Posted By: repad

Re: removing trans dowel from rear of 440 block? - 11/23/09 02:14 AM

Great idea, I'm sure that will come in handy some day, thanks for passing that one on.
Posted By: @#$%&*!

Re: removing trans dowel from rear of 440 block? - 11/23/09 02:29 AM

I like that drill and tap idea. Tap it 1/4" or 5/16" coarse, thread in a short bolt, and use a claw hammer to lever it out. It should be reusable and easily removed later if you want.
Cory

Re: removing trans dowel from rear of 440 block? - 11/23/09 02:34 AM

I guess I was over thinking this. One is missing, I just need to get another one. I was thinking just take one out of the other engine, but I'll just order one next time I order parts. But some very good tips anyway.
Thanks, Brian
© 2024 Moparts Forums