Moparts

Need E body brake linkage expert!

Posted By: hemiclone

Need E body brake linkage expert! - 11/22/09 05:11 PM

I just changed over my non power brake 70 Cuda to power breaks. I have a OEM rebuilt booster from Napa and I purchased the linkage(booster arm to pedal) from Tony's Parts...with everything connected my pedal is down near the floor. It looks to me that the 3" or so rod that bolts to the pedal and also bolts to the linkage is about 1" to short? Is there any way this linkage I received from Tony is for another model car? IT looks correct according to the pictures in my manual.

Thanks!
Posted By: moparmojo

Re: Need E body brake linkage expert! - 11/22/09 06:15 PM

Is the booster piston all the way in or all the way out making up for the difference?

Re: Need E body brake linkage expert! - 11/22/09 07:21 PM

Yes its all the way out. According to my parts manual the linkage I have only fits 1970 cuda and challenger. There is another part number for the charger, belvidere and coronet(same picture in the manuel) I'm thinking I may have the wrong part?
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Need E body brake linkage expert! - 11/22/09 08:22 PM

Sounds like you have pre '71 B-body linkage.
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: Need E body brake linkage expert! - 11/22/09 08:56 PM

Which part are you talking about?

Attached picture 5620637-70-71PowerBrakeSetup.jpg
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: Need E body brake linkage expert! - 11/22/09 09:04 PM

Rod

Attached picture 5620652-70-71PowerBrakePedalRod.jpg

Re: Need E body brake linkage expert! - 11/22/09 11:06 PM

Thanks, I'm talking about part #2944289 (the Rod)...I think if this part was about 1" longer it would be correct. From what I see if the arm from the booster was any longer the top part of the LEVER would hit the brake pedal rod so I don't thing there is a problem regarding the booster and arm.

Re: Need E body brake linkage expert! - 11/22/09 11:11 PM

If I knew what the length of the ROD should be I would know if I had the correct part.
There's really no other part of this set up that would cause the pedal to be 5" from the floor at its full extension.

Re: Need E body brake linkage expert! - 11/23/09 12:29 PM

Re: Need E body brake linkage expert! - 11/23/09 04:12 PM

You need the E-body rod. It is about 1" longer.

Re: Need E body brake linkage expert! - 11/23/09 04:28 PM

What is the ebody rod? Are you talking about the 71-73 ebody linkage that is thinner and has the smaller pins instead of the bolts?

Re: Need E body brake linkage expert! - 11/23/09 04:32 PM

I'm talking about the dog bone shaped part in the diagram called "rod".

Re: Need E body brake linkage expert! - 11/23/09 04:40 PM

Thanks I know what part you are talking about but the problem is that from what I can tell I have the correct part(rod) the linkage/rod I have is for a 70 Ebody. Do you know if I need a different part number? The only linkage other than the part I have is the 71-73 ebody linkage..that is thinner and has pins instead of bolts and that rod is a little bit longer.

Re: Need E body brake linkage expert! - 11/23/09 10:29 PM

So I measured the ROD it is 2 1/8"
Could any of you guys with a 1970 Challenger or Cuda help me out ..its asking alot because its a tight space to get to but I need to know the measurement of the Rod in your car I would really appreciate it!! Again this is the part that bolts to the brake pedal and then bolts to the linkage arm. I measured mine from center bolt hole to center bolt hole and it is 2 1/8" the back part of my pedal is 2" from the floor so 1" more on the rod would bring the pedal where it is supposed to be.
© 2024 Moparts Forums