Moparts

Help! Vibration Issue!!!

Posted By: Hazwoy

Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 11/21/09 04:01 AM

I have owned my car for 6 years, 1972 Dodge Charger with rebuilt 1990 360 motor. 9:1 stock or small upgrade cam. Davis HEI Ignition, Holley street avenger carb. Stiff suspension and ride with heavier springs, shocks, torsion and sway bars, 18" wheels, 45 series tires. Driven 4X/week on street only, rough roads here in urban L.A. B&M Flexplate, Mopar performance 145K torque converter with neutral balance (no weight(s)). When torque converter was installed 5 years ago the shop had to knock off the weight to make converter neutral balance as B&M Flexplate is already balanced. Car ran smooth and strong for many years. 1 year ago I noticed a little vibration upon acceleration. Got progressively worse over the last year. No one else that anything unusual but I knew better. Got progressively worse until others noticed vibration and then clunking over bumps. Sure enough, tranny mount was bad but that stopped clunking, not vibration. Rebuilt carb, new plugs, verified timing, verified spark plug wire order. Car runs really strong but vibration still there. 18" vacuum at idle and needle rock solid so I cannot believe it is a tuning issue. I replaced harmonic damper with Summit Racing damper #163318 for external balance 360. My old damper looks exactly like Mopar Performance P5007301. If anything vibration may be worse. Then replaced motor mounts. Still no change. Vibration is so bad now I only drive car to take it to get opinions from expert mechanics. For sure it is engine/balancing/torque converter as vibration is there when car in park or neutral or when it is driven, hot or cold. Exact same smyptoms as Kielbasa's original vibration post only mine have developed over time. Dash, steering wheel, and floor pan shake at anything above idle, sort of smooths out on hiway but turns into a droning vibration. Front of engine and rear of car don't seem to have vibration, it is centered in rear of engine/front of tranny. Help!!! Don't know what to replace or check next. Can a torque converter go out of balance from neutral? Thinking of rebuilding original damper but now I am getting into replacing my new replacement parts...

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 11/21/09 04:04 AM

Also TTi headers and new exhaust in 2004. Exhaust till looks good although mufflers have a few pinholes, no clearance issues.
Posted By: 68KillerBee

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 11/21/09 04:07 AM

sounds like my dad's cars problems. he's rebuilding his motor. that after we've messed w/ the transmission 20 times (in and out) in the past 2-3 years
Posted By: moparmandc

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 11/21/09 04:32 AM

could it b an accessory that is belt driven try removing the belts and see if it goes away that has beat up many of techs for vibration including me. some waterpump pulleys are close to crankshaft ratio and can be misinterpeted as a crank speed issue. i would at least try that before i yank the engine and dive in too deep. you have to look at everything that spins start simple.

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 11/22/09 12:05 AM

Well, it was worth a shot. I did pull off all accessory belts and ran her in park and up and down the block. No change.

18X8 front wheels with low profile tires and no power steering in a B Body - BIG arm muscles!!!
Posted By: HYPER8oSoNic

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 11/22/09 12:55 AM

First I would get rid of the Summit RACE Damper.
360's are very different in balance than 273,318
and 340's (THEY ARE EXTERNALLY BALANCED)
Stick to the Mopar Performance Damper that is
compatible with the offset balance (external) 360.
Recheck the specs on the B&M flexplate, (weight
INDEXED CORRECTLY!) and 145K torque converter.
Actually, the converter should have never had the
weight removed. It really should have been checked
from the beginning for the proper application (food for thought). Last, I would look at the trans input shaft for excessive play (again food for thought).

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 11/22/09 02:56 AM

Also, with the 145K torque converter, it's offered
for both the 727 and 904. You didn't say which
one you have, or I overlooked it in your post.
The slightly rarer A-999 transmission is the
heavy-duty version of the A-904, so you have a
two basic versions of this type of converter, with
the other choice being for the A-727 transmission,
which is more common piece. Check on that weight
removal situation of that 145k unit. It could be
the direction you need to go for your problem.

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 11/22/09 04:59 AM

My transmission is a 904. For those reading post please realize engine was perfectly balanced and vibration free for many years with stock external balance damper, B&M external balance flexplate, 145K torque converter (for 360) with weight knocked off. Converter needs to be neutral balance as B&M flexplate does the balancing for the backside of engine unlike stock flexplate. The Summit damper I bought WAS for a external balance 360 and is counterweighted in a similar position as the stock damper I removed. My vibration problem developed steadily over the last year, I believe due to the bad tranny mount.

Maybe when tranny was knocking around mount metal to metal flexplate or converter got out of balance?

Any other areas to look at?

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 11/22/09 06:34 PM

The last sentence of your post should give you
a clue. I do understand about the "neutral
balance" converter also. But, something is not
"right" in that converter/flexplate area. I would
check thoroughly for bends, cracks and hole
elongation in the mounting areas of the converter.
It may be possible that the stator/turbine combo
inside might be slightly out of balance. I don't
know how you drive but I would check the mounting
bolts on the transmission and crossmember just for
an extra shot of good measure. While you are under
the car, it also would not hurt to check for the
exhaust pipe clearance to any frame/torsion bar/
crossmember. Sometimes a loose pipe could vibrate
thru the cab without excessive noise and drive you nuts! More food for thought. Good luck.
Posted By: MO_PA

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 11/22/09 09:10 PM

Are the dowels in the back of the block? The trans may be shifting on the block.
Posted By: DennisH

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 11/22/09 09:17 PM

Get rid of pin-holed mufflers while you're at it. Dyno-Max Turbos have no drone behind my TTI's Good luck.
Posted By: The_Mean_Machine

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 11/23/09 11:46 AM

worn out timing set, bad bearing in the water pump?

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 11/26/09 05:30 AM

Any luck yet with the vibration problem ?
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 11/26/09 07:02 AM

Loose converter bolts, worn bushings on input shaft of transmission, bad converter, broken crankshaft. One thing you might consider, though it's a bit drastic, install the proper 130 tooth flywheel in place of the flexplate/torque converter combo and see if the vibration goes away. At least then you'll know if it's transmission or engine.

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 11/27/09 12:15 AM

Have you ever heard of knocking the weights off of the converter for the B&M Flexplate? I always
used the standard flexplate for mild applications
(5500-below).
Posted By: fullfloater

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 11/27/09 12:28 AM

Check your bolts on your trans to engine ,had a chevy one time ,drove me crazy ,the bellhousing bolts were loose ,did the exact same thing ,drove me crazy

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 11/27/09 04:27 PM

Great tech help! Thanks man! Just relay it to
Hazwoy for his 72' Charger.

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 11/28/09 11:29 AM

Eureka and thank you all for your answers and expertise!!!

PLEASE SEE MY UPDATED POST 1/12/10- The mount did NOT contribute to vibration. Only make it worse if you already have a problem.

I found and solved most of the vibration problem by ditching my brand new heavy duty Prothane polyurethane transmission mount for a cheap Auto Zone made in China/stock rubber one. It was the only option I could try with out a lot of time and effort. Unbelievable the difference!!! The Prothane metal looks twice as thick and well constructed with beefy round poly bushing. My original mount looked looked like stock mount but no sleeve or tube to encase the bushing between the vertical supports. It did have a poly bushing in it that went bad and when I ordered a replacement I figured why not upgrade. Now with the new stock style mount I have a slight shaking vibration at about 1800 rpm (still in the same area- firewall/steering wheel/gas pedal) but car is totally drivable, just slightly annoying. I plan next to try a stock style mount with new poly bushing to see if that is better. Anyone have a spare old original mount they don't need?

The droning is still there from about 60-85 mph but my intuition tells me that is my pinholed mufflers

My original mount looked looked like stock mount but no sleeve or tube to encase the bushing between the vertical supports. It did have a poly bushing in it that went bad and when I ordered a replacement I figured why not upgrade. AND I threw the old mount out when I put in the Prothane mount.

Last question- anyone else have original stock mount without that sleeve/tube to support the bushing? Maybe whoever put in the aftermarket bushing removed it? Bushing did seem to fit many years ago...

Prothane #1603-BL mount that did not help my vibration issue

Attached picture 5631881-ptp-4-1603-bl_w.jpg

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 12/06/09 09:46 AM

Glad to be one of the many members to help. The
"droning" noise that you hear at 60-85 mph, might
be a simple exhaust issue. Question: Do you
have an exhaust crossover pipe somewhere between the header collector and 36" before the
inlet of the mufflers. Mopars seem to run better
and bit quieter with this pipe in place. The car,
while not an "all-out racer", needs all the
low and midrange torque it can get to run really
well on the street. This may help, along with
better flowing mufflers.

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 12/26/09 07:54 AM

ALL RIGHT!! FINALLY back on the road. After weeks of diagnosing and not driving my daily driver I am back on the road. Even tho it didn't make sense I REBUILT THE ORIGINAL DAMPER and THE VIBRATION IS GONE!!! Thank you, http://www.damperdoctor.com/ I don't know why the Summit replacement damper didn't work, it was proper application (1971-1992 360 external balance) and looked to be counterweighted correctly. To Summit's credit they did refund money 60 days after purchase and use of damper.

I do have a bit of droning left around 2700 rpm but I am sure it is my old mufflers and exhaust. I had 2 1/4" exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers, no droning when first installed. I took out the crossover with no change and just cut off the tailpipes just after the rear axle and removed crossover. Exhaust a little louder and droning reduced. I am going to replace exhaust system from headers back but have to repair a small leak in tank first.

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 12/26/09 08:00 AM

To sum up if you have a vibration issue similar to mine first area to look is THE DAMPER. 360 engines are external balance and sensitive to being out of balance when damper gets old. Also try a different tranny mount. Rubber may cushion better than poly, maybe not if engine in good tune and balance.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 12/26/09 08:50 AM

Quote:

To sum up if you have a vibration issue similar to mine first area to look is THE DAMPER. 360 engines are external balance and sensitive to being out of balance when damper gets old. Also try a different tranny mount. Rubber may cushion better than poly, maybe not if engine in good tune and balance.

Would be curious if you put on that new style poly prothane bushing whether it would add or not change any vibrations you have now.

I have heard that the poly trans mounts just magnify any vibration you have.

I know someone with a complete resto'd Challenger T/A that changed from poly to rubber and it helped a bunch. But after that, did a pinion angle correction and made a big difference.

The thing about the Summit brand balancer is a tough one to diagnose. I mean if it was new and didn't skip it marks, how could you check if it was bad?? Should we just avoid Summit brand dampners??

Hazwoy, did that Summit balancer show any sign of rubber gushing out or not looking uniform??

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 12/26/09 09:24 AM

For the life of me I cannot imagine why The Summit damper didn't work. It looks to be counterbalanced the same way and only one application for 1971-1992 Dodge 360. All I know is it looked great, ran straight but my problem was not resolved until I rebuilt and installed original damper. Stock has weight removed for proper balance, Summit instead has weight added to opposite direction and side. Can send you detailed pics of damper if you like (autoxcuda) Tried to post pics, didn't work.

As for as poly mount I do plan to reinstall and see if it does indeed magnify vibrations. The poly mount looks to be much more heavy duty. Will take a week I am out of town

As for pinion angle it may help (my car is lowered) but my vibration was consistant whether in park/neutral or driving

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 12/26/09 03:04 PM

Quote:

For the life of me I cannot imagine why The Summit damper didn't work. It looks to be counterbalanced the same way and only one application for 1971-1992 Dodge 360. All I know is it looked great, ran straight but my problem was not resolved until I rebuilt and installed original damper. Stock has weight removed for proper balance, Summit instead has weight added to opposite direction and side. Can send you detailed pics of damper if you like (autoxcuda) Tried to post pics, didn't work.

If you email me pics I'll resize them and post them. Are you saying the Summit balancer and the OE (or the balancer you had before) look identical except for the weight added on the opposite side?

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 12/27/09 06:42 AM

Here are the pics...

Old stock damper- external balance is done by material removed on front near TDC (cutout centered around 1:30)

Summit damper- external balance done by adding weight to opposite side on back away from TDC (weight added around 7:30[front])
(notice key in relation to counterweight)

Rebuilt stock damper- the one that works!

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 12/27/09 08:17 AM

Quote:

Here are the pics...

Did you notice anything thing wrong or different with your old dampner compared to when they rebuilt it?

Did Dampner Doctor mention what they found wrong with your old dampner?

What did Dampner Doctor charge? Sounds like a good resource. Will have to file that one away for future use or pass it along to others.

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 12/27/09 09:01 AM

No I did not notice anything wrong with damper upon inspection. It did have maybe 1/16" wobble at crank pulley compared to dead on straight with Summit or rebuilt damper. Here are close up pics. If you look at closely at about 1 o'clock you can see the rubber ring just slight deformed. On back side if you looked really close you could see just the slightest bulge at 7 o'clock (opposite side). Anyway bottom line- didn't really look like it was messed up to me.

Damper Doctor actually added a bit of confusion to the mix even tho they fixed the problem. My block is 1989-1992 360 truck motor (junkyard receipt) but Damper Doctor receipt said my damper was 1993. When I called to verify boss wasn't in, when I called back assistant said Doctor said receipt incorrect, damper was 1992. Never said if they found anything wrong, just rebuilt per request. Cost was $112 including shipping. Mailed Priority Thursday, got back Wednesday

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 01/01/10 03:37 PM

Quote:

No I did not notice anything wrong with damper upon inspection. It did have maybe 1/16" wobble at crank pulley compared to dead on straight with Summit or rebuilt damper. Here are close up pics. If you look at closely at about 1 o'clock you can see the rubber ring just slight deformed. On back side if you looked really close you could see just the slightest bulge at 7 o'clock (opposite side). Anyway bottom line- didn't really look like it was messed up to me.

Damper Doctor actually added a bit of confusion to the mix even tho they fixed the problem. My block is 1989-1992 360 truck motor (junkyard receipt) but Damper Doctor receipt said my damper was 1993. When I called to verify boss wasn't in, when I called back assistant said Doctor said receipt incorrect, damper was 1992. Never said if they found anything wrong, just rebuilt per request. Cost was $112 including shipping. Mailed Priority Thursday, got back Wednesday

Sometimes the hub can shift it position, in
relationship to where the TDC (0 Mark) is as
it was made in the factory. The movement could
be slight enough, that to the untrained eye it
could look normal. Rubber DOES deteriorate with
age, and that is a major contributor to damper
problems/engine vibration. As far as the noise
level and "droning", I believe that a good
exhaust setup with a crossover would solve your
noise problem. Part of the problem is the chioce in mufflers, some are not as good as others.
Check around before you plunk down your cash
for them. It is a matter of balancing noise/
quality/performance here, don't be afraid to do
your homework on this. You might be surprised to
choose a system that would net you maybe 20 hp
more than your current setup, and be a lot more
quieter while cruising. Food for thought! Also
your carb air/fuel ratio and jetting is involved in this too. Have it "fine tuned" after replacing
the system. You could pull a couple more "free
ponies" and make your ride more efficient too.
That would be easier on your wallet at the pump
and "Joe Law" would be happy too, not writing you a noise ticket. All in all a better cruiser.

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 01/01/10 03:45 PM

Make SURE that when they hang your exhaust, pipes
DON'T TOUCH the frame and they use RUBBER isolated
hangers, NOT solid ones (vibration from pipe
transmits to frame, not good!!). Good luck with
it!!

Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 01/01/10 04:50 PM

Quote:

To sum up if you have a vibration issue similar to mine first area to look is THE DAMPER. 360 engines are external balance and sensitive to being out of balance when damper gets old.

There are 2 styles of factory 360 dampers - yours, which I call new style, and the old style (which I prefer) that the weight is ADDED to the center hub, not taken out of the outer ring. On the old style, (on the left in the photo from the archives) the weight is added to the outside of the center hub, so the "imbalance" of the outer ring doesn't stress the rubber cushions like the new style. The new style probably work well enough for you, since you probably don't spin the motor much above 5500. Above that, the RPM will start to work and wear the rubber ring, causing the outer ring to rotate or wobble, causing a vibration. I don't know the years that the old style ones came from, but I grab them when I see them.

Attached picture 5703023-damper360.JPG

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 01/13/10 12:05 AM

So I put back in the poly tranny mount to see if it made a difference now that the vibration is mostly solved with the rebuilt damper. Been driving around for the last week and I believe it does cause a SLIGHT increase in noise and vibration but only slightly. I am going to keep it in. 98% of my problem was the damper being out of balance.

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 02/18/10 10:52 AM

Well I chopped off the old exhaust before replace the whole exhaust system. Droning and off idle vibration changed slight in the tone but not substance. Interesting how dumping exhaust right after mufflers adds a low overtone to sound of whole system. Replaced old 2/14" with 2 1/2' system. Really awesome sound but after gas tank repair I will run tail pipes over axle or out to rear panel.

Anyway only possible component left to replace is torque converter. My tranny just started going bad so that is next on the list....
Posted By: @#$%&*!

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 02/19/10 09:21 PM

Quote:

There are 2 styles of factory 360 dampers - ... On the old style, (on the left in the photo from the archives) the weight is added to the outside of the center hub, so the "imbalance" of the outer ring doesn't stress the rubber cushions like the new style.

Very good point, never thought about that. Putting the imbalance outside the rubber might help the damper tune out slight errors in balance but will add stress to the rubber.

Quote:

So I put back in the poly tranny mount to see if it made a difference now that the vibration is mostly solved with the rebuilt damper.

The transmission mount isn't a moving part and therefore can't be a source of vibration. Putting in a stiffer mount will certainly TRANSMIT more vibration from the transmission to the passengers, after all, it was put in there just for the purpose of isolation vibrations.
Posted By: MI_Custumz

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 02/19/10 09:41 PM

But if your transmission mount is shot, wouldn't it cause a vibration?

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 02/20/10 03:08 AM

Same vibration in neutral as in drive. Must be a rotating part out of balance harmonic damper to torque converter inclusive. I am getting different opinions on whether a torque converter can go out of balance but it is the only logical part i haven't touched yet.

I guess I will find out soon...

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 03/15/10 03:57 AM

SO... I solved all the vibration when I replaced my torque converter and transmission. Got a street/strip 904 from Bob Mazzolini Racing and a Hughes 2000 stall torque converter. Really like both. SO vibration in my case was bad tranny mount, bad harmonic damper and bad torque converter. ALL vibration is gone, but I still have a bit of pulsating droning inside the car at 2700 rpm in neutral or drive. It is really weird- you can hear/feel pulsating in the car but outside it seems as if engine and exhaust DON"T pulsate at all. I am positive this is an exhaust issue. Will let u know when I finally sort it out.

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 03/19/10 11:57 PM

At Last! Got rid of that last bit of annoying pulsating drone in the car at 2700 rpm. You would not believe it- it is the alternator/belt system. Went to put on new belts, PS first. Start car, NO drone. drove for a day to make sure. Added alternator belt and drone returned. Tried adjusting tighter and then looser till it finally wet away. On my belt system alternator belt wraps around crank pulley and alternator only. Now I have 1 to 1 1/4" belt deflection but it did the trick.
Posted By: boydsdodge

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 03/20/10 01:29 AM

Very cool post.
Thanks.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 03/20/10 01:47 AM

Quote:

Got rid of that last bit of annoying pulsating drone in the car at 2700 rpm. You would not believe it- it is the alternator/belt system.

I dont believe it
Posted By: tech118

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 07/26/14 05:19 PM

I don't mean to hijack this thread but it seems you guys have been a lot of help in this balancing issue. I'm having a similar issue. I have an old B-250 ram camper van that I'm fixing up. It had a tired 318 2bbl and A999 trans so with a long trip coming up I decided to upgrade it to a jasper reman 360 with jasper reman A999 trans. (I wanted to retain the lock-up in the A999 for extended highway driving) Being a gm guy I didn't have a clue the 318 was internally balanced and the 360, well wasn't. Needless to say it rattles your teeth, steering column, seats and whole van off idle and gets worth with rpm, in neutral or driving. I know now I have to get a 360 harmonic balancer, that's easy. But now I have a fresh A999 trans bolted up and B&m says that there #10239 flexplate wont correct it with the A999 convertor, they had nothing available to help me. I have a lot of cash invested and the 5000 mile round trip to Utah approaching quickly. Does someone make an externally balanced convertor with lock-up for the 360 that will work in this A999? Or do you know of a place I can ship this convertor to to have them set it up correctly??? I'm getting real desperate at this point and would be greatfull for any advise. I've been a Gm tech for 20 years and you can call on me anytime for help in that area, I would be glad to return the favor, thx! Shawn 973-592-2037
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 07/26/14 06:01 PM

A999 is a beefed up A904, bet B&M tech isn't a Mopar guy either.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-10239/overview/make/chrysler

Application info is incomplete, it fits all pre Magnum 360's with the A904/9998/999 trans, not just 74-80.

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 07/26/14 07:01 PM

That's what I thought but he said that flexplate wouldn't take care of out of balance and the convertor would not be compatible with 360. He said talk to the guys at Tci, last time I talked to them all they had a clue about was the 727 tranny.
So your thinking I'm good to go with the #10239 flex and stock 360 balancer??? If so that's not a bad set back. Thanks so much!!!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 07/26/14 08:52 PM

I've used the OE 360 harmonic dampener and the 10239 BM plate with the scallop cut out with a neutral converter on several 360/904's & works flawless

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 07/26/14 10:19 PM

Good to hear. will order the stuff from summit and start taking apart after I type this, lol. Towing two quads to Utah in a few weeks and want this thing bullet proof. Thank you for the quick reply's and advice. Hit me up if you have any GM or saab tech stuff.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 07/26/14 10:41 PM

Like Robert, I have used this flexplate with a 360/A998 combo. In my case the A998 was stock to the 87 Diplomat I stuck a 79 360 into. A998 is the 318 version of the A904 and 318's a neutral balance.

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 08/02/14 02:02 AM

Its perfect!!! Dorman balancer 594-132 and B&M flexplate 10239 Thx for the advise guys!
Posted By: feets

Re: Help! Vibration Issue!!! - 08/02/14 02:12 AM

Good to hear they got you on the right path.

Don't forget to post a pic of the van and toys.
© 2024 Moparts Forums