Moparts

Z-bar Bracket Mounting..

Posted By: AlexP

Z-bar Bracket Mounting.. - 07/15/08 12:33 AM

I'm on the fence about what clutch linkage to go with.

I want mechanical for simplicities sake, but I'm having trouble with the idea of putting the frame bracket in the wrong plate.

Is there a template or a measurement that can be taken from a similar car that will ensure the proper placement of the bracket ?

I've driven my friends car with the bracket in the wrong place and it is horrible. At least with the hydraulic set up, the placement isn't an issue.

Pictures would be very appreciated...

Thanks !
Posted By: mopar346

Re: Z-bar Bracket Mounting.. - 07/15/08 01:28 AM

What kind of car????

Re: Z-bar Bracket Mounting.. - 07/15/08 01:53 AM

68 Roadrunner

Re: Z-bar Bracket Mounting.. - 07/15/08 11:32 PM

Re: Z-bar Bracket Mounting.. - 07/16/08 12:02 AM

My immediate thought is that it is a bolt on bracket at the frame. It has been many years since I built my Satellite and have not gotten to that point on my RR. I can check this weekend for you if no one else replies.

Re: Z-bar Bracket Mounting.. - 07/16/08 12:13 AM

Brewer shows it as a weld in like an E-body, can get measurement s this weekend have the motor and suspension out of the RR.
Posted By: DanMcG

Re: Z-bar Bracket Mounting.. - 07/16/08 01:05 AM

I could get ya a pic or two in the morning if it will help. Do you have the bracket already?
Dan

Re: Z-bar Bracket Mounting.. - 07/16/08 04:23 AM

I don't have the bracket yet, but the ones I have seen for my car appear to be weld in.

Any pictures that you guys have would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to mess this one up....
Posted By: larry4406

Re: Z-bar Bracket Mounting.. - 07/16/08 09:44 AM

Don't know about B-bodies, but on my E-body 71 barracuda, the drivers frame rail has a rectangular notch in it about 3/16 wide and one inch long. The original z-bar bracket that I have has a similar male section that fits into this female slot - it only fits in one location and only one way. The z-bar bracket was tacked in multiple locations to its original frame rail.

Re: Z-bar Bracket Mounting.. - 07/16/08 10:16 AM

I was wondering, does your inner fender have the oblong hole in it to get at the ball stud mounting nut?
I will have to scrape off an inch of grease to get a good pic of the mount itself, but i don't see a problem getting it located accurately.
Dan

Attached picture 4554407-Picture062.jpg

Re: Z-bar Bracket Mounting.. - 07/16/08 12:28 PM

I was just looking at brewer's web site. I think the pic shows the bump in the bracket that Larry mentions. If thats the case placement would be a no brainer...Good Luck, Dan
http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=FB470
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Z-bar Bracket Mounting.. - 07/16/08 12:34 PM

Quote:

I was just looking at brewer's web site. I think the pic shows the bump in the bracket that Larry mentions. If thats the case placement would be a no brainer...Good Luck, Dan
http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=FB470

The 68-69 B body doesn't have the notch in the frame for that tab, it will need to be ground off to get it to sit flat .

Also yes it has that access hole in the inner fender .

Re: Z-bar Bracket Mounting.. - 07/16/08 04:46 PM

Brewers is going to send me a few pictures of how it is all located on the frame, that they say should help me get it in right.

They reccomend installing the bracket once the bellhousing is in the car because of my Lakewood bell.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Z-bar Bracket Mounting.. - 07/16/08 04:53 PM

Quote:

Brewers is going to send me a few pictures of how it is all located on the frame, that they say should help me get it in right.

They recommend installing the bracket once the bellhousing is in the car because of my Lakewood bell.

Thats a very good suggestion from them , i have seen issues with that brackets alignment with the lakewood .

Re: Z-bar Bracket Mounting.. - 07/16/08 05:21 PM

Yep, that's about the only thing that worries me about the swap. I'm not going to have any used parts in the linkage itself so I shouldn't have a horrible time. Once I get the last of the odds and ends, this shouldn't be much more than a weekend swap.
Posted By: clownzilla

Re: Z-bar Bracket Mounting.. - 07/16/08 11:53 PM

If you have problems with the Z-bar being too long because of bellhousing size you may have to cut a piece out of the center of the Z-bar shaft, mock it up and weld it to the right size.

This is what I ran into with my barracuda Z-bar since I went with the bigger clutch bellhousing.
© 2024 Moparts Forums