Moparts

Which ballast for FBO ignition?

Posted By: Pool Fixer

Which ballast for FBO ignition? - 07/15/08 12:23 AM

I bought one when they first came out and I believe before they started including an msb ballast. i heard others who had trouble with the ballast on the early kits. After 3 years, mine finally took a dump. I see that MSD sells a .8 ohm ballast. is this the right one? if not, can someone tell me which one is right? Thanks.
Posted By: 70Duster440

Re: Which ballast for FBO ignition? - 07/15/08 12:34 AM

I believe that's correct on the ohm rating if memory serves. Mine came with an MSD a couple years ago. They're physically larger than the stock or MP ones.
Posted By: Pool Fixer

Re: Which ballast for FBO ignition? - 07/15/08 01:05 AM

mine came with one that looks like stock, not a rectangular shape, has a ride in the middle.

a neighborhood mopar buddy hooked me up with an old stock one, but I want to get the best one I can get..
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Which ballast for FBO ignition? - 07/15/08 01:47 AM

I just spoke with Don & he sent me this one & stated that they no longer use MSD(IIRC at least the coils) as their stuff is made overseas & isn't up to snuff.

Attached picture 4551632-msdballlast.jpg
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Which ballast for FBO ignition? - 07/15/08 02:00 AM

they used to put Standard RU11 in their kits. the RU11's started breaking and FBO went to MSD .8 ohm ballast. i guess they changed again. i use a mopar performance .25 ohm with the FBO box and coil on my 65 coronet. seems to work o.k. in my ol' heap.
Posted By: dave571

Re: Which ballast for FBO ignition? - 07/15/08 04:10 AM

Yes ru 11 was the original resistor in the FBO kit.

You can buy them anywhere, and keep using them if you don't mind changing them once and a while.

Then they went to the .8 msd.
I sold lots of those when I was an FBO dealer, and use them in my own stuff. Never had one go bad, but who knows where msd makes them now.

For what one cost's I wouldn't be afraid to try one
© 2024 Moparts Forums