Moparts

putting the coronet on a diet

Posted By: Not a bee

putting the coronet on a diet - 11/14/09 05:20 PM

Thinking of putting my 69 coronet on a diet this winter.Which fiberglass company makes the nicest six pack hood and bumper, and how much weight do you think I would lose. Car weighs 3700 with driver, and yes the driver is on a diet also.
Posted By: forphorty

Re: putting the coronet on a diet - 11/14/09 06:09 PM

typical 'glass street hood: 20-25 lbs. stock hood 60+. No opinion on who is best, avoid Unlimited.

Re: putting the coronet on a diet - 11/15/09 12:25 AM

Thanks. So hopefully between hood and bumper maybe a 100 lbs.
Posted By: repad

Re: putting the coronet on a diet - 11/15/09 01:51 AM

I just handled my 69 coronet bumber this afnoon and I would guess it weighs about 30-35lbs.

Re: putting the coronet on a diet - 11/15/09 02:28 AM

I suppose the brackets don't wiegh that much.
Posted By: rockerbob

Re: putting the coronet on a diet - 11/15/09 05:14 AM

Quote:

Thinking of putting my 69 coronet on a diet this winter.Which fiberglass company makes the nicest six pack hood and bumper, and how much weight do you think I would lose. Car weighs 3700 with driver, and yes the driver is on a diet also.

I put a fiberglass hood, ft & rear bumpers on my 69 Satellite. I think the hood saved 40 pounds, ft bumper 30 pounds & rear 25 pounds. My car is a strip only car & it helped the et
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: putting the coronet on a diet - 11/15/09 04:23 PM

Quote:

bumber brackets are heavy. Most people make their own out of aluminum. Here's the thing...depending on your car and et the 100lbs you take off may or may not help squat. So before you spend $$$$ and time, ask yourself how much et am I going to get? and is it worth it. Upgrades to the drive train will get you better results than spending all that money on glass parts.
Posted By: pacifica

Re: putting the coronet on a diet - 11/15/09 04:41 PM

" Here's the thing...depending on your car and et the 100lbs you take off may or may not help squat. So before you spend $$$$ and time, ask yourself how much et am I going to get? and is it worth it"

Seems to me the old rule of thumb is every 100 lbs. lost is worth a .10 of a second in E.T.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: putting the coronet on a diet - 11/15/09 04:49 PM

Quote:

" Here's the thing...depending on your car and et the 100lbs you take off may or may not help squat. So before you spend $$$$ and time, ask yourself how much et am I going to get? and is it worth it"

Seems to me the old rule of thumb is every 100 lbs. lost is worth a .10 of a second in E.T.

you'd think that but my 1st hand experience tells me different. then there's sprung vs. un-spriung weight. I had a 67 cornet. mild 440. It ran 12.90. I thought wow I'll drop some weight and see if I can get it to run 12.70. So I lost the PS, moved to a smaller optima battery in the trunk, changed out my 15x6 cragars and radials up front for 14x5.5 w/ bais plys (cragars w/ radials) were 45lbs heavier, raced w/ a little over a 1/4 tank than 1/2 and what happend??? same et, same mph everytime. Car was done at 12.90.
Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Re: putting the coronet on a diet - 11/15/09 05:23 PM

Good points, also just moving the weight around will help also. 100 lbs placed right in the car can be more benificial than removing it. It depends on what you want to do with the car. Thefe are alot of things you can do, but some people dont want to compromise some safety on the car to get a lighter weight.
Posted By: Jwilli500

Re: putting the coronet on a diet - 11/15/09 06:03 PM

Personally, I think the brackets probably weigh more than the bumper by itself. Shame no one is repopping the brackets in 'glass' to go with the 'glass' bumpers.

Quote:

Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Re: putting the coronet on a diet - 11/15/09 06:32 PM

Brackets are a great place to lighten the load too. I would not want a glass bracket, but aluminum will work just fine. Heck, even just windowing out a set of stock brackets will take a bunch of wheight off. On my A-body, it had inner and outer brackets. The outers weighed less of the two pairs, so i took them and cut a bunch out of them. I think it was something silly like 20 lbs overall i took off. I was down to 3lbs a pair on my aluminim brackets when it was all said and done.
© 2024 Moparts Forums