Moparts

Can't get this 91 Acclaim running

Posted By: Russ

Can't get this 91 Acclaim running - 11/13/09 03:19 AM

One owner only 61.000 miles,been sitting for 3 years,I had It towed here today,very nice car.
Pulled the plugs,turned It over without the cap,till I got oil pressure,buttoned up everything,tried to fire It up,nothing!!!!
turns over real nice,so I poured a little gas Into the throttle body,It fires right up,then dies,did It again,same thing,and over 10 times,same thing,I dump some gas into the throttle body,It runs for about 10 seconds and dies,Where Is the fuel pump on these cars?
2.5 auto.
Any help here????
PM me for help
Thanks
Posted By: pnypwr

Re: Can't get this 91 Acclaim running - 11/13/09 03:25 AM

prob in the tank, check the fuses first, or at least to make sure you got power at the pump

Re: Can't get this 91 Acclaim running - 11/13/09 03:29 AM

I got frustrated with It tonight,but i'll check that out tomorrow,Is the fuel pump fuse with the rest of them by the dashboard/
Posted By: Chilort

Re: Can't get this 91 Acclaim running - 11/13/09 03:33 AM

Fuel pump is in the tank. On my Daytona (very similar) you pretty much have to drop the back of the tank to get to the fuel pump. If it needs a new fuel pump STAY AWAY from AirTek (i.e. AutoZone, O'Reilly, etc). Pep Boys sells Carter. NAPA likely has a quality pump.

Re: Can't get this 91 Acclaim running - 11/13/09 03:40 AM

Thanks
I only get my stuff from Napa anyway
Autozone
Advance
Pep Boys
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Can't get this 91 Acclaim running - 11/13/09 12:52 PM

Before dropping the tank, you might look to make sure that the pump is getting voltage. Hate to see you go to all that trouble and the fuse was out.
Craig
Posted By: 71_deputy

Re: Can't get this 91 Acclaim running - 11/13/09 12:55 PM

or the fuel filter is pluged!!!

Re: Can't get this 91 Acclaim running - 11/13/09 02:07 PM

Thanks for the replies,i'll look for the fuse and check the filter
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Can't get this 91 Acclaim running - 11/13/09 03:08 PM

Have a helper crank the engine over while you slap the bottom of tank a bit, it might wake the pump up.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Can't get this 91 Acclaim running - 11/13/09 04:34 PM

Or replace the fuel pump relay,they corrode from sitting.The relays are all the same,pull one that operates something and see what happens before you go buying parts you don't need.

Re: Can't get this 91 Acclaim running - 11/13/09 05:21 PM

Is the relay under the hood,or in the fusebox?
I already banged on the bottom of the tank,didn't do any good,It's got 3/4 of a tank of gas,and It still smells decent
Posted By: burdar

Re: Can't get this 91 Acclaim running - 11/13/09 06:40 PM

Just turn the key to the run possition and listen for the pump to run. If it runs, your problem is elsewhere. FYI...the pump will only run for a couple seconds before turning off again.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Can't get this 91 Acclaim running - 11/13/09 06:41 PM

I had a similar problem on the wifes 91 full size van. I replaced the pump and still got nothing. Turned out to be the pick up in the Dist. Apparently the pick up tells the computer that the engine is rotating and to turn the pump on.

I don't know if the accliam is the same or not.

Good luck.
Posted By: burdar

Re: Can't get this 91 Acclaim running - 11/13/09 06:46 PM

If the pick up was bad I don't think it would start at all.
Posted By: CHRGR69

Re: Can't get this 91 Acclaim running - 11/13/09 08:25 PM

Check the phasing ring that passes between the pickup in the dizzy. I had the same symptoms. Turns out the ring was rusted bad.
Posted By: Scottmon

Re: Can't get this 91 Acclaim running - 11/13/09 08:28 PM

First step....check for codes.

Turn the key off and on three times...leave on the third time. Check engine light should probably flash once, then twice for code 12 and five followed by five (55) for end of test. Get any other codes post them here.

Re: Can't get this 91 Acclaim running - 11/14/09 02:11 AM

I'll check the the dist.and the codes tomorrow.
It's driving me nuts
Posted By: 383man

Re: Can't get this 91 Acclaim running - 11/14/09 09:10 AM

If it starts pouring gas in it the dist is fine so I would not waste your time on it. Just have someone crank the eng while you check for voltage to the pump. If you have voltage then have someone turn the key to the run posistion while you listen at the tank to hear the pump run. As was stated it will only run a few seconds that way. If you dont hear it run the its a bad fuel pump or a bad ground for the pump. If you hear it run I would check the fuel filter first but it could still be a damaged pump blades. If you did not have voltage at the pump then you need to check the wiring. Thats the easiest thing for you to do. Ron
© 2024 Moparts Forums