Moparts

E BODY DISC BRAKES....WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE?

Posted By: 6pkaar

E BODY DISC BRAKES....WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE? - 07/14/08 07:33 PM

I've got a disc brake set up I believe is from a '72 'Cuda, but not sure. I'd like to put them on a '70 power drum 'Cuda. What's the diference between the early ('70) disc set ups and the later ones. When was the change? Do the parts interchange, early to late set ups? What parts can be used (if any) on the drum set up that's on there now? I know proportioning valves need changed, I'm just looking for the things at the axle to take off and replace.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: E BODY DISC BRAKES....WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE? - 07/14/08 07:44 PM

'70-'72 used one style, '73-'74 used another.

Rebuild parts are more expensive for the earlier set up.
Posted By: 6pkaar

Re: E BODY DISC BRAKES....WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE? - 07/14/08 08:51 PM

Quote:

'70-'72 used one style, '73-'74 used another.

How do I tell the difference? Part numbers? I just know the dust shields are like the later ones. Didn't '70 & '71 use the same shields? So '72 used the early brakes with the later shields? I sure wish I knew what I have!
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: E BODY DISC BRAKES....WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE? - 07/14/08 09:45 PM

On the early ones the calipers mount with pins, the later style is the caliper that slides into the bracket.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: E BODY DISC BRAKES....WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE? - 07/14/08 09:57 PM

'70-'72 used 2 piece rotors (hub and rotor held together by the lug studs).

'73-'74 E-body and '73-'76 A-body disc brakes interchange. This design originally used unicast (1 piece) rotors with different inner bearings designed to fit the newer (larger diameter)spindle.

'70-'72 splash shields do not fit '73-'76 rotors.

I sell spindle sleeves and caliper brackets so you can use the common '73 and newer brake parts on '70-'72 knuckles.
© 2024 Moparts Forums