Moparts

hurst 4 speed shifter

Posted By: mro

hurst 4 speed shifter - 11/11/09 12:07 AM

anyone have good diirections on rebuilding the shifter mechanism?

Thanks
Posted By: Stanton

Re: hurst 4 speed shifter - 11/11/09 12:18 AM

1) take it apart
2) clean all the parts
3) grease all the parts
4) put it back together
Posted By: duster408

Re: hurst 4 speed shifter - 11/11/09 01:09 AM

do you need a pistol grip?
Posted By: swifter

Re: hurst 4 speed shifter - 11/11/09 03:01 AM

Send it to Jamie passon-Passon Performance and be done with it
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: hurst 4 speed shifter - 11/11/09 12:48 PM

Quote:

1) take it apart
2) clean all the parts
3) grease all the parts
4) put it back together

it's not as hard as it looks , just pay attention to the direction and order the pieces come out , maybe take pictures for reference , you can put it together incorrectly if you put your mind to it
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: hurst 4 speed shifter - 11/11/09 05:13 PM

The above directions are spot on, but one thing you may see is wear on the gate selector where it contacts the reverse detent. If you see excessive wear turn the selector over and reuse UNLESS there is also excessive wear on the other side of the selector and then you will need a replacement and it might be time to send it to Hurst.
Posted By: Ledman_70

Re: hurst 4 speed shifter - 11/11/09 07:40 PM

I tried this about 4 years ago and it didn't work any better afterwords. I think having a shifter rebuilt costs more than you can buy a brand new one for. Unless you're trying to retain a 100% original car, buy a new one. I bought a new Hurst Comp. Plus from Jegs for $150, then a new pistol grip handle from Brewers for $170. From the prices I've seen, the total of those 2 is not much more than having an original rebuilt, and the benefits are a new shifter. Just my 1.5 cents worth.
© 2024 Moparts Forums