Moparts

tti's leak

Posted By: dusterbd13

tti's leak - 11/10/09 10:18 PM

and theyre annoying me.

setup is the fully coated and polished tti step headres for a body, bolted to indybrock heads with stage 8 locking header bolts.

both the collectors and head flanges are leaking. i purchased some copper gaskets from summit for replacement.

what install practices for the copper?
rtv?
torque spec?
tightening pattern?
other suggestions?

this is the third set in 2 years and 2000 miles. im starting to get annoyed.

michael
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: tti's leak - 11/10/09 10:40 PM

I've never had any luck with copper header gaskets.

There's a member that's selling what he claims are the last header gaskets you'll ever buy. I forget which section it's in. Probably the race parts for sale.

IRRC the ones I'm using now are Hooker's.

My memory aint what it used to be
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: tti's leak - 11/10/09 10:46 PM

RemFlex gaskets

http://catalog.remflex.com/
Posted By: superwrench

Re: tti's leak - 11/10/09 10:47 PM

Copper header gaskets???

Garbage in my books.
Use like Bill said, and maybe even treat each side to a skim of Ultra Copper RTV sealant.
I've never had a leak doing this, and FWIW, I am still using the header flange gaskets that came with my TTI's 3 years ago, and they have been off at least 4 times!!
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: tti's leak - 11/10/09 10:55 PM

Quote:

Copper header gaskets???

Garbage in my books.
Use like Bill said, and maybe even treat each side to a skim of Ultra Copper RTV sealant.
I've never had a leak doing this, and FWIW, I am still using the header flange gaskets that came with my TTI's 3 years ago, and they have been off at least 4 times!!

With the Remflex mentioned above,you need nothing else and you don't have to fool around with sealers. :twocents
Posted By: 440abody

Re: tti's leak - 11/10/09 11:01 PM

Remflex gaskets, and your done!
Posted By: superwrench

Re: tti's leak - 11/10/09 11:02 PM

Yes, with a Remflex no sealer....but if using the traditional types like Felpro, Hooker, or Mr.Gasket, the RTV is a saviour.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: tti's leak - 11/10/09 11:07 PM

Quote:

Copper header gaskets???

Garbage in my books.

With the proper thickness and annealing, copper gaskets are FAR superior to anything out there. I have used plenty of copper gaskets and still use them in some cases. There are plenty of cheap copper gaskets out there without the proper annealing.

I have two sets of TTIs. My set for my 440 leaked where the tube was welded to the flange. I changed out the first set of gaskets before I figured it out.
The second time I had the header off I welded it up and put the original gaskets back on. All is good now, but is was a big pain in the azz until I fiquired it out.

I did post here about my trouble after I replaced the gasket the first time and that did not fix it. Was told to use a small diameter tubing as a machanics stefoscope. It worked and I could hear exhaust leak between the tubes not around the gasket.
I have some pictures of my repair if I can find it. I'm on a old slow computer at work and photobucket is real slow going on this computer.

In all fairness to TTI, before you jump to conclusitions that TTI are junk.

When I first started this motor it did not have enough timing and within the first minute or two of run time the headers were glowing. I bumped up the timing while it was running and turned down the idle, but the damage was more than likely done the first 2 minutes of run time.

Something to think about. MY
Posted By: jbc426

Re: tti's leak - 11/11/09 03:32 AM

I am using the remflex with no problems. Also, if you've over tightened the headers, they may have warped, which could have caused them to start leaking.

Attached picture 5598244-UndercarrigeReassembly019(Large).jpg
Posted By: Neil

Re: tti's leak - 11/11/09 04:21 AM

TTI flanges are pretty thick so I can't see them warping like hedmans or other headers with thin flanges.

I would recommend using copper rtv with copper gaskets. This setup is reusable forever so long as you thoroughly clean everything each time it comes apart.

I tried a set of copper gaskets without sealer years ago and I'm sure I would have pulled the threads out of the cylinder head before those things squashed and sealed like they were advertised. I wouldn't even attemp to install a dry set every again.
Posted By: Mofopar

Re: tti's leak - 11/12/09 06:07 AM

Remflex seal up good but be careful with them as they will crack easily if you bend them. Having said that, they sent me a new set no charge after I cracked one opening up the packaging.

That and they seem to be reusable. I pulled off the header and it was pretty tough to get the gasket off in with a scraper let alone re-use it.

My pro parts flanges are too warped to use copper.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: tti's leak - 11/12/09 06:11 AM

Quote:

TTI flanges are pretty thick so I can't see them warping like hedmans or other headers with thin flanges.

I would recommend using copper rtv with copper gaskets. This setup is reusable forever so long as you thoroughly clean everything each time it comes apart.

I tried a set of copper gaskets without sealer years ago and I'm sure I would have pulled the threads out of the cylinder head before those things squashed and sealed like they were advertised. I wouldn't even attemp to install a dry set every again.

Next time anneal the copper gaskets before you use them & you'll be suprised how soft they are...
Posted By: dusterbd13

Re: tti's leak - 11/12/09 12:33 PM

how would you go about annealing them?
Posted By: Junky

Re: tti's leak - 11/12/09 03:54 PM

I was having problems with leaking headers. Tried three different gaskets. Still leaking. Guy at the performance shop said to try Remflex gaskets. Been running them now for a few years with no leaks.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: tti's leak - 11/13/09 06:14 AM

I bet your question got answered at FABO

likely the flange sealing bead in the wrong spot.
© 2024 Moparts Forums