Moparts

Ebay HEI distributors?

Posted By: joedust451

Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/05/09 04:30 AM

Ok, laugh it up now if i made a big mistake for buying one, but i figured i would give one a try, its made by Procomp i'm sure, its for a SB, they have 2 styles, i went with the large cap unit with everything in one for 72.00 bucks, it takes all GM parts, so if something goes bad, i can replace it with GM stuff, it comes with an adj. canister, my question is, is anyone useing one of these, any feedback, i'm hopeing it clears the firewall in the Dart.
Posted By: minivan

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/05/09 05:00 AM

Best thing GM did... Had many of them in many different GM cars... Always worked great...
Posted By: JD340

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/05/09 06:08 AM

If it looks anything like this, you should be pretty happy with it. We finally put one in Dad's 69 Dart 318 this summer. Starts better, easy install,stable timing, and 12 volts to coil! When I get a couple bucks together, the Aspen is gonna get one too.

Attached picture 5587409-IMG_0001(Small).JPG
Posted By: JD340

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/05/09 06:08 AM

Inside...

Attached picture 5587411-IMG_0002(Small).JPG
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/05/09 06:12 AM

Quote:

Ok, laugh it up now if i made a big mistake for buying one, but i figured i would give one a try, its made by Procomp i'm sure, its for a SB, they have 2 styles, i went with the large cap unit with everything in one for 72.00 bucks, it takes all GM parts, so if something goes bad, i can replace it with GM stuff, it comes with an adj. canister, my question is, is anyone useing one of these, any feedback, i'm hopeing it clears the firewall in the Dart.

Is the seller in Santa Barbera or Goleta, CA ???

I know a guy that just got some of those in and sells them at Pomona and Long Beach swap meets.

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/05/09 01:40 PM

They are in Iowa. Now i feel alittle better about getting one, its not the one in the pics, its another larger style, just like a GM HEI, just has the mopar shaft, i hope it clears the firewall, if not, he said i can return it for the other unit.

That one pictured, does it need an external coil? The one i'm getting has the coil built in.
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/05/09 02:02 PM

Quote:

That one pictured, does it need an external coil? The one i'm getting has the coil built in.

External. You can see the coil terminal on the cap in the first pic. OEM GM had the coil in the cap.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/05/09 04:50 PM

Quote:

They are in Iowa. Now i feel alittle better about getting one, its not the one in the pics, its another larger style, just like a GM HEI, just has the mopar shaft, i hope it clears the firewall, if not, he said i can return it for the other unit.

Been running one for about 3 years now ( mine is a D.U.I unit ). Works great. No problems.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/05/09 06:43 PM

I'm running one problem-free as is my friend who's running one on his 318 dodge pickup.
Posted By: derekeh

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/05/09 09:11 PM

I was about to post a thread asking about these too lol. I didnt know you could get one with a built in coil... would it be good for a mild 340 build?

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/05/09 10:49 PM

Quote:

I was about to post a thread asking about these too lol. I didnt know you could get one with a built in coil... would it be good for a mild 340 build?

I'll be getting it tomorrow, i will post pics, from what i gather, it looks just like a GM HEI, big cap, coil on top, i just hope it clears the firewall.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/05/09 10:54 PM

I think the ones with the big caps/coil may create a problem with the firewall but I got the one with the internal electronics for my 64. Runs good but I did notice the rotor points to a different location than stock and I had to move the wires on the cap.

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/06/09 12:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'll be getting it tomorrow, i will post pics, from what i gather, it looks just like a GM HEI, big cap, coil on top, i just hope it clears the firewall.

Pics would be good. I would be interesterd in what coil and module ( I'm sure it will be a 4 pin ) are in it - manufacturer / brand name. Would be very interested in the Primary and secondary ohm readings on the coil. Is it a one wire hook up?
Posted By: landon1

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/06/09 12:52 AM

i've had one in my 440 over a year...2 wires, both to coil...i run a 12 volt accel coil, no ballast

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/06/09 05:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Pics would be good. I would be interesterd in what coil and module ( I'm sure it will be a 4 pin ) are in it - manufacturer / brand name. Would be very interested in the Primary and secondary ohm readings on the coil. Is it a one wire hook up?

He said one goes to 12v & the other to ground on this unit.

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/06/09 05:36 AM

WOW, those DUI distrabators are pretty spendy.. Seems like I looked at them but was put off by the price.....

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/06/09 06:40 AM

Quote:

WOW, those DUI distrabators are pretty spendy.. Seems like I looked at them but was put off by the price.....

DUI= "Driving under the influence", that can get pretty pricey

BTW, whats a "distrabator"

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/06/09 06:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What we call distributors after a couple of beers.......

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/06/09 01:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, they are pricey. That's why I'm interested in exactly what is in the $72.00 unit he purchased on E-bay. Tip: Make sure the 12vlt wire to the distributor is directly off the alternator charge wire so you get the highest voltage available to the distributor - they like 14 volts. I run mine through a relay and use the ignition run wire from the column ignition switch to fire the relay.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/06/09 02:22 PM

What is the advantage? I though HEI dists were limited to around 5000 RPMS?

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/06/09 03:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, they are pricey. That's why I'm interested in exactly what is in the $72.00 unit he purchased on E-bay. Tip: Make sure the 12vlt wire to the distributor is directly off the alternator charge wire so you get the highest voltage available to the distributor - they like 14 volts. I run mine through a relay and use the ignition run wire from the column ignition switch to fire the relay.

Does it say they like 14 volts? I would think a solid 12 would be sufficent, running a relay is a good idea, i might just do that.

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/06/09 03:12 PM

All ignitions like 14 V more than 12 volts, More spark.

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/06/09 03:13 PM

Quote:

Where have you been, Factory GM HEIs can go upworks of 7K stock (if not more), with some better components like coil & module, they can see 10K. Like mentioned earlier, the HEI was the best factory ignition out there of its time, non-better.

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/06/09 03:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Where have you been, Factory GM HEIs can go upworks of 7K stock (if not more), with some better components like coil & module, they can see 10K. Like mentioned earlier, the HEI was the best factory ignition out there of its time, non-better.

OK, I would hate to have that ugly dist in my Mopar engine bay though.
What's wrong with a factory mopar ignition? Too many connections and components?

Guess I have been lucky with mine.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/06/09 03:41 PM

Quote:

I though HEI dists were limited to around 5000 RPMS? What's wrong with a factory mopar ignition? Too many connections and components?

(1) Yes I've read that the oe hei gm setups were limited to ~5K but not because of the excellent module (the coil iirc ). (2) yes too many cluttered comonents and people wanting to experiment . I am just going to mount an hei module under my Mopar dist (gotta hide it ). It's an aftermarket piece that was given to me so that's my excuse

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/06/09 03:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Does it say they like 14 volts? I would think a solid 12 would be sufficent, running a relay is a good idea, i might just do that.

The original GM HEI's were rpm limited, but they have come a long way since then with modules and coils. Some pluses include a big cap for less chance of spark arcing and an easily adjustable advance curve as the springs and weights are easily accessable. Here is a pic of my set up. The red wire coming from the alt goes to a relay ( 40 amp bosch unit purchased at Radio Shack - just to the left of the voltage reg.) and then to the dist. No room problem with B bodies

Attached picture 5589614-eng1.jpg

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/06/09 04:01 PM

another pic.

Attached picture 5589616-eng2.jpg
Posted By: carmak

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/06/09 05:07 PM

Quote:

If it looks anything like this, you should be pretty happy with it. We finally put one in Dad's 69 Dart 318 this summer. Starts better, easy install,stable timing, and 12 volts to coil! When I get a couple bucks together, the Aspen is gonna get one too.

Does it use a stock application cap?

Thanks.
Carmak
Riverside, Iowa

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/06/09 06:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OK, I would hate to have that ugly dist in my Mopar engine bay though.
What's wrong with a factory mopar ignition? Too many connections and components?

Guess I have been lucky with mine.

To each his own, mopar dizzy's ain't any better, i've paid big bucks for the MP kit & had nothing but issues too, the orange box ain't worth a hoot ($$ down the drian right there) & most of them need re-curved anyways, plus they don't have the spark output a factory GM HEI does, just 1 simple hookup & your off, no ballast, no ext. coil, no crappy ECU box, i like my chevys too, just like Mopars, who knows, i may transplant a BB chevy in it one day lol "JK"

Well here it is.

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/06/09 06:39 PM

Quote:

another pic.

What wires are you useing?

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/06/09 07:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

another pic.

The red wire from the alternator is 12 gauge. I used the 14 gauge blue ( on my car - might not be the same for your application ) wire originating from the ignition switch to trigger the relay. The short black wire is the ground for the relay. You can use any wire that is hot in the run position to trigger (close) the relay. The module in your pic looks very familiar. Can't remember who's it is, but I ran a very similar looking module in a small block Chevy stroker motor some years back. You definitely can not run a stock HEI coil with that module. You will smoke the coil for sure. You might want to pop the coil cover just to see if it looks like an after market coil. The dist shaft looks a little shorter than mine also - no big deal there. Hope it works good for you.

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/06/09 08:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

another pic.

The red wire from the alternator is 12 gauge. I used the 14 gauge blue ( on my car - might not be the same for your application ) wire originating from the ignition switch to trigger the relay. The short black wire is the ground for the relay. You can use any wire that is hot in the run position to trigger (close) the relay. The module in your pic looks very familiar. Can't remember who's it is, but I ran a very similar looking module in a small block Chevy stroker motor some years back. You definitely can not run a stock HEI coil with that module. You will smoke the coil for sure. You might want to pop the coil cover just to see if it looks like an after market coil. The dist shaft looks a little shorter than mine also - no big deal there. Hope it works good for you.

Yeah, i know i'd have to match up the coil/module if ever it comes to that, it is a Proform unit, hopefully it has the proper coil in it for the module, the guy told me it'll accept all GM components, coil/module/vacuum pod/cap/rotor ect. The shaft may look alittle short because the cap is so big, i'm sure it'll be fine, my only concern is firewall clearance.

BTW, i was asking about the spark plugs wires, which ones are you useing?

Re: Ebay HEI distributors? - 11/06/09 09:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

another pic.

Yeah, i know i'd have to match up the coil/module if ever it comes to that, it is a Proform unit, hopefully it has the proper coil in it for the module, the guy told me it'll accept all GM components, coil/module/vacuum pod/cap/rotor ect. The shaft may look alittle short because the cap is so big, i'm sure it'll be fine, my only concern is firewall clearance.

BTW, i was asking about the spark plugs wires, which ones are you useing?

I'm using D.U.I. "fire wires". They are 8MM, and come pre-made with heat resistant jackets.
© 2024 Moparts Forums