Moparts

Broke off bolt in crank pully? Is that OK to leave?

Posted By: hemiclone

Broke off bolt in crank pully? Is that OK to leave? - 11/01/09 05:04 PM

I was tightening down the 5 or 6 bolts that are for the lower crankshaft pulley(for the belts)on my 440 and one of the bolts broke off..can I just leave it that way or will it throw the motor off balance?

Thanks!
Posted By: mickm

Re: Broke off bolt in crank pully? Is that OK to leave? - 11/01/09 05:07 PM

despite the balance issue, there is now one less bolt holding that pulley in place.

take the time and do it right, if for nothing more than peace of mind.

take it out.

Re: Broke off bolt in crank pully? Is that OK to leave? - 11/01/09 05:10 PM

Thanks for slapping some sense into me! I was on a roll and just wanted to keep going...sometime you gotta sit back and be patient.
Posted By: CR8CRSHR

Re: Broke off bolt in crank pully? Is that OK to leave? - 11/01/09 05:48 PM

Quote:

Thanks for slapping some sense into me! I was on a roll and just wanted to keep going...sometime you gotta sit back and be patient.

Yep...Sometimes it is 2 steps forward and then 3 back but it is worth it to get it right....
Posted By: therocks

Re: Broke off bolt in crank pully? Is that OK to leave? - 11/01/09 06:11 PM

I ran with one missing on my 440 for almost 10 years.The damper had one broke when I bought it.Never hurt a thing.I doubt that it would have any affect.If its out you might as well fix it though.Rocky
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Broke off bolt in crank pully? Is that OK to leave? - 11/01/09 06:48 PM

The bolt weight is insignificant when it's that close to center.
Posted By: prochargedhemi

Re: Broke off bolt in crank pully? Is that OK to leave? - 11/01/09 06:57 PM

i only run 5 bolts in my crank pulley due to the pulley having an offset hole and the balancer does not. Never had a problem up to 7k rpm
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: Broke off bolt in crank pully? Is that OK to leave? - 11/01/09 07:27 PM

Most of the time you can unscrew the bolt out the back when you remove the balancer. I had to a couple of times in the last 35 years.
Posted By: Chilort

Re: Broke off bolt in crank pully? Is that OK to leave? - 11/01/09 11:07 PM

Without the pulley on it, I've been able to back broken bolts out with my finger before. Just depends on how and why it broke. Just put the tip of your finger on the end and spin and see if it comes out. I've also had to drill them out and helicoil them as well and that takes more work.

If you're in a rush, see if you can get it to back out with the tip of your finger. I wouldn't run it without all six though. I generally have too many other problems to put things like that at risk that can generally be fixed w/o much problem.
Posted By: 70Duster

Re: Broke off bolt in crank pully? Is that OK to leave? - 11/02/09 03:45 PM

If you can't spin it out with the tip of your finger, this may be an ideal application for a left handed drill bit.
Posted By: CYACOP

Re: Broke off bolt in crank pully? Is that OK to leave? - 11/02/09 08:11 PM

Can you just let it go?

Depends on who you are. If I just let it go, it would come back and haunt me. You probably have better luck.

Re: Broke off bolt in crank pully? Is that OK to leave? - 11/02/09 08:26 PM

Thanks for all your help! I was able to use a small screwdriver to turn out the broken end.
© 2024 Moparts Forums