Moparts

Block repair

Posted By: B&E

Block repair - 11/01/09 11:50 AM

I have a 383 that is cracked in the valley area above the two inside lifter bores.Since it is a water passage is there any epoxy type product that will seal it?I had it welded with no luck.

Thanks,Dave
Posted By: whydana

Re: Block repair - 11/01/09 01:02 PM

Sperry Welding in Capac, Michigan, 810-395-4381

He doesn't use nickel based rods. He does it the old fashioned way, like brazing. Excellent work. Good luck.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Block repair - 11/01/09 03:20 PM

I would think that if welding didn't do it that epoxy certainly would not but I think it takes as said brazing which brazing cast iron requires the metal to be heated cherry red (to some point). My guy did my completely broken 340 HP ex manifolds that everybody said were useless. Havent used them yet but they look good

Attached picture 5579570-manifclutchpedalsstgear001.jpg
Posted By: B&E

Re: Block repair - 11/01/09 03:52 PM

I am just looking for an alternative to welding.I thought that in the hi-tech world we live in there could be some product out there that would seal it.I know it isn't likely.
Posted By: CYACOP

Re: Block repair - 11/01/09 05:59 PM

I would just replace the block.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Block repair - 11/01/09 06:06 PM

Quote:

I would just replace the block.

Yep... Welding MAY work but unless its a numbers block to a rare car that sounds like scrap. Epoxy is unlikely to work due to thermal expansion of the block--HIGHLY likely to crack. You would constantly be looking for coolant in oil, until you found it of course.
Posted By: DZJim

Re: Block repair - 11/01/09 07:08 PM

http://www.locknstitch.com/CylinderHeadRepairs.htm

Check out about cast iron welding and alternatives
Posted By: Topcat

Re: Block repair - 11/01/09 10:16 PM

http://www.locknstitch.com/CylinderHeadRepairs.htm

I went and visited them since they're nearby me.

They do good very work but after my experience, I would get whatever part you need repairing magnafluxed by a very good shop first. Felt pen in any small hard to see cracks up front before giving them the work. They missed one on mine but we caught it later.
Here's a pic of a Hemi block they were planning on repairing.

Attached picture 5580234-Hemibrokenblk.jpg
Posted By: Bill MeLater

Re: Block repair - 11/02/09 01:21 AM

Don't know who did it or how this head was fixed but it appears to have been welded. Someone did a very nice job on it, didn't even know it was there 'till I had 'em surfaced. I've had them on three different combos so far and not asingle problem.

Attached picture 5580674-010s.jpg
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: Block repair - 11/02/09 01:55 AM

This stuff might work. Has the same thermal expansion rates as steel. Used it on a 428 with a crack in the valley. Prep work has to be done properly, grind the surface and use acetone or brake clean.
Also works good on intake ports if you get a little greedy...
http://www.devcon.com/products/products.cfm?brandid=1&familyid=101
© 2024 Moparts Forums