Moparts

FAST or AEM Analog A/F Kit

Posted By: YO7_A66

FAST or AEM Analog A/F Kit - 10/29/09 10:46 AM

I am looking into getting a "simple" A/F tuning tool this Winter for the Challenger. I "think" that I would just want a gage inside of the car that shows me the A/F mixture while I drive. Is anyone running either one of these analog units and if so, what do you think?
Is there a bracket for mounting these gages?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-170634/?image=large#at

http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/installing-fast-wide-band-air-fuel-2698.html#post3079

http://www.aemonly.com/wideband-air-fuel-85/aem-wideband-uego-air-fuel-ratio-gauge-250.html

Note: I know that many members are using the digital kits but I am not sure that I need that much info for the extra $150.

Thanks
Posted By: 70shaker

Re: FAST or AEM Analog A/F Kit - 10/29/09 04:02 PM

I am using the AEM unit on my 70 Challenger and I love it. I bought an aftermarket gauge bracket and mounted it to the underside of the dash above the trans tunnel.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: FAST or AEM Analog A/F Kit - 10/29/09 04:14 PM

My analog wideband gauge is made by innovate. It's a simple analog gauge and looks right at home inside the car. And the gauge needle responds very fast to changes in a/f.

Re: FAST or AEM Analog A/F Kit - 10/30/09 11:49 AM

Thanks for the responses.
I need to keep my budget around the $210-$220 mark (FAST or AEM units) but I can buy a gage bracket at my local auto parts which is no big deal.
I think that the Innovate unit is out of this budget (thanks DT for the pm's on the extra items required) and I like the simple look of the FAST gage. This info give me something to think about over the next couple of months.

Thanks again for the replies.

Re: FAST or AEM Analog A/F Kit - 10/30/09 01:29 PM

Shaker,
How much fluctuation do you get during a drive with that digital gage?

Thanks
Posted By: 70shaker

Re: FAST or AEM Analog A/F Kit - 10/30/09 01:58 PM

I get quite a bit of fluctuation while driving the 4 speed and going thru the gears. At a steady cruising RPM it does not fluctuate much.

Re: FAST or AEM Analog A/F Kit - 11/02/09 11:41 AM

The steady cruise what was I was curious about. Thanks again for the reply.

Do we have any FAST vendors on Moparts?

Thanks
Posted By: Ply72rr

Re: FAST or AEM Analog A/F Kit - 11/02/09 01:46 PM

I think Mopar Rich is a fast vendor.His web site is www.fastmanefi.com

Re: FAST or AEM Analog A/F Kit - 11/02/09 02:09 PM

Thank you!!
Posted By: SCATPK

Re: FAST or AEM Analog A/F Kit - 11/03/09 04:25 AM

I have been running a AEM for the last couple of years and it works great. Have about 3000+ miles on the original sensor and it works like a champ. I recently had my car dynoed at the rear wheels and when the shop saw the gauge told me they were very accurate pieces. He actually removed my sensor and plumbed the dynos sensor right into my header and the readings from his machine and my gauge were the same. For the price you can not beat the setup. If you are like me and just want a gauge to see what your A/F ratio is go with the AEM!
Posted By: furious70

Re: FAST or AEM Analog A/F Kit - 11/03/09 06:51 PM

I have the LM-2 with the optional analog gauge in my Coronet. I have found that when racing, I can look at the gauge enuf to see that I'm safe, but the logging to look back later to tune is very nice. I wouldn't discount the desire to be able to look at a log to make adjustments later on.

Re: FAST or AEM Analog A/F Kit - 11/04/09 07:19 PM

What is a number to shoot for when checking the A/F ratio at idle, cruise, and WOT. What is considered too lean or too rich?

Thanks
Posted By: furious70

Re: FAST or AEM Analog A/F Kit - 11/04/09 07:22 PM

14.7 is 'the target' so to speak, the theoretical balance point. In practice, often you need to idle richer because the engine is not that efficient at idle. The specifics of your engine will make a big difference too for what a/f will make max hp and how lean you can go before detonation.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: FAST or AEM Analog A/F Kit - 11/04/09 08:20 PM

Idle wherever it runs best, 14:1 is where mine idles best, however mine tends to like to idle on the leaner side but that's more of a carb issue.

I've played with mine and it runs just as smooth at a 16:1 cruise a/f as it does at a 14.7:1 cruise a/f. WOT mid-high 12's.
Posted By: SCATPK

Re: FAST or AEM Analog A/F Kit - 11/05/09 01:05 AM

Per Tim at FHO for a hemi.
Idle 14.7 is nice if you can get it as it is not under load and will not hurt it.
Cruise 12.8 to 13.2 Have mine between 12.6 to 13.1
WOT 12.8 makes the most power on his dyno. Mine is about 12.6 still need to play with it a bit more.

Re: FAST or AEM Analog A/F Kit - 11/05/09 11:15 AM

Thank you once again to all of the replies.

Can anyone with an auto tell me what you are getting in gear at a stop?

Posted By: Chilort

Re: FAST or AEM Analog A/F Kit - 11/06/09 02:30 AM

I Bought the AEM for my '86 turbo Daytona so I could crank up the boost and keep a watch on things. I've had it in for probably 2 years now and thousands of miles. I love it. I got it off eBay to save a few bucks. I love it.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: FAST or AEM Analog A/F Kit - 11/06/09 02:51 AM

Would the innovate LM-1 be adequate to check basic readings at idle & cruise?
Posted By: dmerc

Re: FAST or AEM Analog A/F Kit - 11/06/09 01:39 PM

Yes, it works quite well. That is what I use.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: FAST or AEM Analog A/F Kit - 11/06/09 02:18 PM

Quote:

Yes, it works quite well. That is what I use.

Thank you.
© 2024 Moparts Forums